Down 6.4kgs with PCOS!

tashahueifit
tashahueifit Posts: 80 Member
To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2019 and was putting on weight like crazy. However I didn’t know / didn’t bother taking care of my eating habits and naturally, the weight continued to climb. I was at my highest of 95kgs in September 2019 when I decided to make a change. These photos are of me wearing a blouse I could only wear end of 2017.. it was given to me by my boyfriend and I was so sad and depressed I couldn’t wear it when I had put on a lot of weight. It was so tight that I couldn’t even get it past my arms! Then in February 2020 (photos on the left) I tried it on (started losing a bit of weight at that point) and it fit (albeit super tightly!!!) and the photos on the right are from May 2020. I wouldn’t say the differences are night and day but I definitely notice them. crf98nxg79i1.jpeg
tw4rzs85hels.jpeg
blt45zhrtf14.jpeg
uxmdxo18yh6a.jpeg

Replies

• WhitJston
    WhitJston Posts: 6 Member
    You can see a huge difference well done ! Can I ask how you lost the weight and over what period of time if that is not too intrusive ? I have PCOS and was recommended the low GI diet so just looking around to see what others are doing 😊 butttt back to my point...

Fantastic work and you can see the difference. Well done.
  • fairy_daisy
    fairy_daisy Posts: 247 Member
    There’s definitely a difference - that’s great work! I love the blouse too!
  • tashahueifit
    @fairy_daisy Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it :smile:
  • tashahueifit
    @bmeadows380 Wow! 135Ibs?! Gurl... you’re my new role model! Fantastic work on your end 👏🏻 Hope to achieve the success that you have ❤️ And yes, I totally agree with you that different techniques/ lifestyle changes depend on the individual :) I totally understand where you’re coming from regarding the lack of support from your doctor. The first doctor I went to told my mom (who accompanied me to my appointment) that “how could you let her eat so much and get so fat?” And the worse thing is that she didn’t even diagnose me with PCOS! She just prescribed me with pills. 😒 Thankfully the second doctor I went to was so much better and diagnosed me
    properly. Anyway, congratulations to you again and thank you so much for the encouraging words ❤️
  • Saraig022
    Saraig022 Posts: 2 Member
    Great Job, nothing better than trying on clothes that didn't fit and now you can slide it on like butter!!
  • tashahueifit
    Saraig022 wrote: »
    Great Job, nothing better than trying on clothes that didn't fit and now you can slide it on like butter!!
    Thank you so much! And yes, the feeling is indescribable ❤️
  • tashahueifit
    For me personally, the biggest symptom I have is the stupid facial hair, and nothing has been able to help that.
    Not to derail the thread, but I recently did laser hair removal for that. I understand it works best if you have light skin and dark hair, and it doesn't remove everything, but most of my unsightly facial hair is gone. It also wasn't as cost-prohibitive as I thought it would be, but I suppose that depends on where you go.

I can't express how much better I feel about myself and how much more confidence I have now that my "beard" is gone. I would recommend it to anyone who is a candidate; it's worth the expense.

Thank you for sharing! Glad you have newfound confidence now ❤️
  • sirjamerie
    sirjamerie Posts: 40 Member
    😱 super awesome! Well done!
  • tashahueifit
    sirjamerie wrote: »
    😱 super awesome! Well done!

Thank you so much! Means a lot to me. 💞
  • persimmonfig
    persimmonfig Posts: 15 Member
    @tashahueift I'm a latecomer to your thread, but great job with managing your weight and your PCOS symptoms! I love your bangs in the second picture. I was diagnosed with PCOS through an ultrasound at 19, 12 years ago, and even after all that time I'm really glad to read your posts and some of the other comments. I know there are lots of us out there and we all have very different symptoms, but it always helps me to read other people's experiences with it!

I'll just share for anyone else who happens to come across this that I also have a very different experience from any of the other people above. Extremely irregular periods, light facial hair on my chin, and acne (not severe) are about the only physical things that I really notice. When I started to put on weight a couple years ago, I also noticed that I carry most of it around my stomach and hips. I have several diabetic family members, as well as a few with heart problems, so those are the health conditions I'm personally most worried about with regard to my own weight gain. I know many people with PCOS struggle with fertility, but that's not a concern for me as I'm not particularly interested in having children. I also identify as non-binary, and a little extra body hair isn't too annoying to me because of the way I express my gender identity. I don't restrict carbs, gluten, or dairy, but both my partner and I are vegetarian and eat tons of veggies. I love sweets but try to eat them in moderation.

For me the main issue in both overall health and weight is mood and mental health. The worst for me was when I was dealing with not only severe depression (which is a chronic condition for me, though it comes and goes, and also has high comorbidity with PCOS) but anxiety and panic attacks due to being bullied by a boss at work. Talk about high cortisol levels! I started having acid reflux problems around that time, despite not substantially changing my diet or any other habits. When I managed to get out of that situation, things stabilized a bit. I'm currently in the process of leaving that job and profession completely, and it's made a huge difference both to my mental and physical health. I love both strength training and cardio and don't find that the latter elevates my stress levels or makes me feel worse in any way. But in any case, being active no matter what I'm doing really helps my mood, which helps everything else.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Hey I’ve got pcos and it’s so amazing to see all your stories! I’ve tried to cut out gluten and dairy but it just triggered my eating disorder patterns so I’ve just cut down. I found it much easier to cut out wheat though and have oats, spelt, quinoa, buckwheat and chickpea flour. But dairy is my weakness so I try to get organic cheese and yoghurt. I don’t drink cows milk- I have almond/cashew milk instead. It’s just CHEESE is life for me! I also have excess facial hair and I’ve just started drinking 2 cups of spearmint tea per day. Fingers crossed it works! I do feel guilty every time I eat cheese because I’ve read on all the PCOS websites that dairy is bad for this condition 😖 surely in small amounts it’s fine 🤷🏻‍♀️. I have cut down on sugar because it makes me tired and sleepy but if I’m stressed I will binge on chocolate. I just can’t help it. I also try to have 4 squares of 70% chocolate per day. Oh and I’ve increased my protein from 95g-100g to 120-130g and I try to have veggies/salad with every meal. I’ve also increased my walking from average 6000/7000 steps to 12000-15000 steps. I do full body weights three times a week and some cardio workout on the other days as well as yoga and Pilates.
  • persimmonfig
    @xxzenabxx I've personally never had any issue with dairy, including cheese (which I love too!). I've never completely cut it out of my diet, but never noticed any difference between times/days when I'm consuming a whole lot and times/days when I'm not. Other people might, but I just never have seen a difference. If it's working okay for you, I'd say don't feel guilty about it as long as it's in moderation. Everybody's a little different! And I feel you about dietary restrictions triggering disordered eating, which is another reason that I think it's totally healthy to allow yourself a little bit of dairy if it doesn't actively make you feel bad.

I also love mint tea--if nothing else I find it very relaxing. :) Which has to help, right?
  • persimmonfig
    I also want to say that I get why it's important to eat foods with a low glycemic index/load for those of us who are insulin-resistant (and it's supported by solid scientific research), but I think that everything I've read about dairy possibly being bad for PCOS is extremely sketchy. That's no reason not to cut it out if you want to, or if it helps (and there are great environmental and ethical reasons to consider this too), but also potentially no reason to feel bad for consuming it in moderation, as part of a generally low GI diet.
  • tashahuei
    tashahuei Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2020
    @tashahueift I'm a latecomer to your thread, but great job with managing your weight and your PCOS symptoms! I love your bangs in the second picture. I was diagnosed with PCOS through an ultrasound at 19, 12 years ago, and even after all that time I'm really glad to read your posts and some of the other comments. I know there are lots of us out there and we all have very different symptoms, but it always helps me to read other people's experiences with it!

I'll just share for anyone else who happens to come across this that I also have a very different experience from any of the other people above. Extremely irregular periods, light facial hair on my chin, and acne (not severe) are about the only physical things that I really notice. When I started to put on weight a couple years ago, I also noticed that I carry most of it around my stomach and hips. I have several diabetic family members, as well as a few with heart problems, so those are the health conditions I'm personally most worried about with regard to my own weight gain. I know many people with PCOS struggle with fertility, but that's not a concern for me as I'm not particularly interested in having children. I also identify as non-binary, and a little extra body hair isn't too annoying to me because of the way I express my gender identity. I don't restrict carbs, gluten, or dairy, but both my partner and I are vegetarian and eat tons of veggies. I love sweets but try to eat them in moderation.

For me the main issue in both overall health and weight is mood and mental health. The worst for me was when I was dealing with not only severe depression (which is a chronic condition for me, though it comes and goes, and also has high comorbidity with PCOS) but anxiety and panic attacks due to being bullied by a boss at work. Talk about high cortisol levels! I started having acid reflux problems around that time, despite not substantially changing my diet or any other habits. When I managed to get out of that situation, things stabilized a bit. I'm currently in the process of leaving that job and profession completely, and it's made a huge difference both to my mental and physical health. I love both strength training and cardio and don't find that the latter elevates my stress levels or makes me feel worse in any way. But in any case, being active no matter what I'm doing really helps my mood, which helps everything else.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us ❤️ You are so strong for going through all these hurdles, and I’m so proud of you! Wishing you all the happiness and success with managing your PCOS 💞 (And thank you for the compliments! 😘)
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited July 2020
    I can definitely see a big difference; great job! I have PCOS as well and just straight up calories in/calories out has worked for me. I don't limit any foods and I try to get a balance every day of nutritionally sound foods as well as treats. I mostly don't even worry about macros; the only thing I try to keep an eye on is protein because if I'm not intentional about it I will eat very little of it. I don't do any exercise other than making sure I get at least my 10,000 steps in per day. I'm currently not weighing myself (long story) but I've noticed in the past I would lose only about a half a pound a week for like 3 weeks in a row, and then suddenly lose 3 pounds all at once the 4th week. Not sure if that's PCOS related or if my body is just weird, but either way I managed to lose the weight I needed to. My mom also has PCOS and was obese for most of her adult life, and CICO worked for her too. She tried all of these different diets and the thing that finally worked for her was just focusing on limiting calories and tracking everything. She went from a 3x to a size 4 and has kept it off for 10+ years. She uses a little notebook to write everything down in- basically the no tech version of MFP :smile:.

For me personally, the biggest symptom I have is the stupid facial hair, and nothing has been able to help that.

I'm not sure if you've already tried this, but a few years ago I started shaving my face with these specific razors meant for women's faces: https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Flamingo-Facial-Touch-up-Razors/dp/B00K0RWGH8

I was afraid I'd end up with "stubble" but I've had no issues! I did watch a few youtube videos first to make sure I was getting the technique right. It's totally different from how you would shave your legs. Apparently a lot of women use something like this because it makes your make up go on smoother with no "peach fuzz" and it's good for getting rid of dead skin too. You use the razors dry so it's pretty quick and easy. I usually do about every 2 weeks but you can use them as often as 1x per week. I've felt so much better about how my face looks since discovering this!
  • tashahueifit
    edited July 2020
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Hey I’ve got pcos and it’s so amazing to see all your stories! I’ve tried to cut out gluten and dairy but it just triggered my eating disorder patterns so I’ve just cut down. I found it much easier to cut out wheat though and have oats, spelt, quinoa, buckwheat and chickpea flour. But dairy is my weakness so I try to get organic cheese and yoghurt. I don’t drink cows milk- I have almond/cashew milk instead. It’s just CHEESE is life for me! I also have excess facial hair and I’ve just started drinking 2 cups of spearmint tea per day. Fingers crossed it works! I do feel guilty every time I eat cheese because I’ve read on all the PCOS websites that dairy is bad for this condition 😖 surely in small amounts it’s fine 🤷🏻‍♀️. I have cut down on sugar because it makes me tired and sleepy but if I’m stressed I will binge on chocolate. I just can’t help it. I also try to have 4 squares of 70% chocolate per day. Oh and I’ve increased my protein from 95g-100g to 120-130g and I try to have veggies/salad with every meal. I’ve also increased my walking from average 6000/7000 steps to 12000-15000 steps. I do full body weights three times a week and some cardio workout on the other days as well as yoga and Pilates.

I totally know how you feel! At one point I was beating myself up for not being strict with the whole GF/DF diet... but I guess trial and error is key. Through lots of experimenting, I realize that going low GI works WONDERS for me. I’m talking about steady weight loss, less bloating, better moods. And way to go with leading an active lifestyle!! 12000-15000 steps a day is amazing 😁 I think I’ll follow in your footsteps (heheh pun intended) soon! I too love strength training! I always see results by sticking to them.😊
    Anyway thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us! All the best on your PCOS journey. 😍
  • tashahueifit
    @xxzenabxx I've personally never had any issue with dairy, including cheese (which I love too!). I've never completely cut it out of my diet, but never noticed any difference between times/days when I'm consuming a whole lot and times/days when I'm not. Other people might, but I just never have seen a difference. If it's working okay for you, I'd say don't feel guilty about it as long as it's in moderation. Everybody's a little different! And I feel you about dietary restrictions triggering disordered eating, which is another reason that I think it's totally healthy to allow yourself a little bit of dairy if it doesn't actively make you feel bad.

I also love mint tea--if nothing else I find it very relaxing. :) Which has to help, right?

Totally agree with you on that! ❤️
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!