Had palpitations last night :(

Options
I had palpitations last night which is what used to happened to me when I was undereating (like last year) but I felt like I had eaten enough calories or had I? Had to have an emergency nakd bar at midnight even though I ate 2100 calories by the way.

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Have you had a doctor check your heart and health recently?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Have you had a doctor check your heart and health recently?

No because I’m fine otherwise and I don’t have heart issues. Maybe I was undereating or something but it just felt scary.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Okay
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Could be Stress but best to get checked out by Doc if you're concerned.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    How much did you exercise yesterday?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    How much did you exercise yesterday?

I did a lot of exercise- fullbody weights circuit for 1 hour and I also walked 16000 steps.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Stress and tiredness gives me palpitations. It's not pleasant but if it persists you should get it checked out.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Stress and tiredness gives me palpitations. It's not pleasant but if it persists you should get it checked out.

Same here.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,134 Member
    Options
    Palpitations as in fast heart rate or irregular? I'm quite prone to 'skipped' beats myself, and it seems to correlate somewhat with hormonal changes (increase during my period) and stress.
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I had palpitations last night which is what used to happened to me when I was undereating (like last year) but I felt like I had eaten enough calories or had I? Had to have an emergency nakd bar at midnight even though I ate 2100 calories by the way.

I get them when I haven't had enough water and I'm slightly dehydrated.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    avtlove wrote: »

I get them when I haven't had enough water and I'm slightly dehydrated.

I drank 3.75 litres of water yesterday
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »

Yeah I was probably stressed or anxious.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    The reason why I was asking was because I used to get these palpitations when I was undereating, but yesterday I ate 2100. So could it be that I was undereating yesterday? I just estimated that I burned 2750 calories yesterday? Those 16000 steps were outside my normal routine. It’s sooo hard to figure out how much I’m burning and how much to eat. Feel like I’m walking with a blind fold on 😖. I am using the TDEE method but now I feel that it’s not right for me because some days I’m active and other days I’m not.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? It’s possible you used to get them when undereating because of low blood sugar. You can eat plenty and still have low blood sugar if you aren’t eating a lot of carbs, and exercising more than normal, or conversely if you ate more carbs than usual and had reactive hypoglycemia.

Given what you said about being unusually active, I’m guessing you just needed to eat something to get your blood sugar back up after exercise.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The reason why I was asking was because I used to get these palpitations when I was undereating, but yesterday I ate 2100. So could it be that I was under-eating yesterday? I just estimated that I burned 2750 calories yesterday? Those 16000 steps were outside my normal routine. It’s sooo hard to figure out how much I’m burning and how much to eat. Feel like I’m walking with a blind fold on 😖. I am using the TDEE method but now I feel that it’s not right for me because some days I’m active and other days I’m not.

That's why I asked how much you worked out. That amount of exercise would have cut into the 2200 calories you ate quite significantly... I would put the pacer app on my phone if I were you, unless you do all your walking without your phone, which not many people do these days. Then on the real active days you will see how much extra you burned with the 16,000 steps and you'll have a chance to eat back at least some of the cals.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    The reason why I was asking was because I used to get these palpitations when I was undereating, but yesterday I ate 2100. So could it be that I was undereating yesterday? I just estimated that I burned 2750 calories yesterday? Those 16000 steps were outside my normal routine. It’s sooo hard to figure out how much I’m burning and how much to eat. Feel like I’m walking with a blind fold on 😖. I am using the TDEE method but now I feel that it’s not right for me because some days I’m active and other days I’m not.

Unless you have some underlying health issue that you're not disclosing, I think it's very unlikely that undereating by just a few hundred calories on a single day in the context of a diet where you're regularly meeting your needs is going to cause health issues. Our bodies are remarkably adaptable to days where we get less than we need when we aren't regularly depriving ourselves.

The TDEE method is appropriate for people who are more active on some days than others (of course, others may prefer NEAT and that's fine too).

I have PCOS and hormonal imbalances and my whole family is insulin dominant. Don’t know a single Aunt/uncle who doesn’t have diabetes or is borderline. That’s the only thing I could think of but I eat a balanced diet where I make sure to get all of my nutritional needs.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    What are your macros? It’s possible you used to get them when undereating because of low blood sugar. You can eat plenty and still have low blood sugar if you aren’t eating a lot of carbs, and exercising more than normal, or conversely if you ate more carbs than usual and had reactive hypoglycemia.

Given what you said about being unusually active, I’m guessing you just needed to eat something to get your blood sugar back up after exercise.

I eat 110-130g of protein, fat falls around 100g-130g and carbs just fall into place. I aim for low glycemic carbs in smaller amounts such as brown rice, quinoa, oats, pasta made from those etc.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Yesterday I ate 133g of protein, 173g carbs and 103g of fat.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    The reason why I was asking was because I used to get these palpitations when I was undereating, but yesterday I ate 2100. So could it be that I was under-eating yesterday? I just estimated that I burned 2750 calories yesterday? Those 16000 steps were outside my normal routine. It’s sooo hard to figure out how much I’m burning and how much to eat. Feel like I’m walking with a blind fold on 😖. I am using the TDEE method but now I feel that it’s not right for me because some days I’m active and other days I’m not.

That's why I asked how much you worked out. That amount of exercise would have cut into the 2200 calories you ate quite significantly... I would put the pacer app on my phone if I were you, unless you do all your walking without your phone, which not many people do these days. Then on the real active days you will see how much extra you burned with the 16,000 steps and you'll have a chance to eat back at least some of the cals.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. I also did weights circuit training for almost an hour.