Ladies, controlling myself on "TOM"

Options
The first few days I was okay, and I didn't really give into my cravings. However i'm on day 3 and yesterday I still had 400 calories left, but I felt so bad, I just couldn't eat.

Then today, the same thing happened. I gave into a craving and got an Jr. Roast Beef sandwhich from arbys and a small mt. dew (first one i've had in weeks) because it's really close to the school and I didn't bring anything and now my stomach hurts again and I feel nauseated and ill.

does anyone else feel like this? what do you do to prevent? (i've taken midol)

Replies

• hphurley
    hphurley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    strange - i've never had cravings past day 1... I usually get them leading up to the event. Avoid salt - it makes things worse in my experience. Stay plenty hydrated.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that being pregnant doesn't help!

Seriously though, I gave in. There's no point in stressing over it. Make your indulgences as small as possible, but if you're craving something like it's the end of the world, don't fight it. It'll only make you grumpy. You don't have to be perfect every single day, enjoying some "bad" foods now and then is just fine, it won't reverse or delay your progress. Just be aware that eating junk food, even a little can make you retain some water, but that's likely to happen anyway. I know there are some women who gain 5 pounds of water weight as the result of hormone fluctuation, but it always goes away a few days after TOM ends.
  • AHudson06
    Options
    I know from my experience once I start eating healthy and I eat something I used to eat that's unhealthy, my stomach gives me a huge fit! I'm not sure if this is what's going on with you (seems a bit early in your routine) but maybe that's the culprit?
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much completely given up processed sugar and simple carbs all month through. Last month I found I didn't have any of the usual cravings for carb dense and sugar rich foods, in fact I had no warning that it was even coming so I was completely caught out! (I usually have plenty of PMS to give me enough warning, lol). I also eat 6 small meals a day so I don't know it that maybe helped too with keeping my blood sugar stable so that I didn't crave stuff. I'm hoping I'll have the same experience next month too :bigsmile:

Basically I think that not having processed sugar and simple carbs means that I no longer crave them. It may just have been coincidence though but perhaps it's worth a try once TOM has ended?
  • Cokamo
    Options
    For me, keeping my water intake up helps decrease my cravings and also my weight gain during my TOM. If you have a huge craving, satisfy it with a little of what you're wanting but just control your portion. I've read that your metabolism actually does increase slighty during TOM so there is good reason for your body to want more.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's not my TOM, but I know what you mean. I gave in to a pizza craving today and now I feel like I'm going to vomit. Try exercising a bit and that might make you feel a bit better. I still have a ton of exercising left for today (1,000 cals +). If nothing else, it'll make you feel less guilty! :flowerforyou: *hug*
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    what i do is keep chocolate fiber one bars around or healthy snacks that can satisfy any craving. for example:

craving sweets? eat this: fiber one oats and chocolate bar, graham crackers dipped in a snack size pudding cup, low fat cup of strawberry yogurt topped with corn flakes, skinny cow ice cream treats or simply make a smoothie with bananas.

craving salty? eat this: pretzels, sunchips (though i'm not sure how healthy these are), reduced fat wheat thins, baked chips, add a small amount of seasonal salt to a baked potato...stuff like this.

i'm sure you get the point but this is some of the food that helps me when i crave these 2 things. however, sometimes i end up getting a mocha frappe from mcdonalds and have to work if off! Just don't overindulge in things that come from fast food places and whatnot. :wink:

ALSO drink tons of water and go take a short 20 minute walk even if it's in your favorite store when you feel too groggy. Hope this helps you.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me, the week before is brutal! I am ready to eat basically anything that's not nailed down! I have to do a lot of self talk, drink lots of water and just give in once in a while! Rather than deprive myself have a SMALL piece of chocolate or cake or whatever! I think it's key to let yourself have something so you don't completely cave and go overboard.