How???

Two questions really one being am I the only person who feels bigger the smaller they get?

The second is how can I have a bodyfat percentage of 40% after losing so much?

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    1) Not me.
    2) What are you using to measure body fat %?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    You probably need to resistance/weight training. Muscle takes up less space than fat. So if you still look and feel fluffy, then you need to lift.
  • One) That's personal esteem...
    Two) I don't go by what these body fat things say because it just goes by height and weight. I pay attention to my measurements. I weigh a lot but I am not BIG. I just have a lot of muscle so therefor, it says my bodyfat is almost 40 as well but, if you look at my pics, you can see that is not true.

Just keep at it and maybe find a way to change the way you see yourself. And go by inches not weight or body fat!! (=
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Yes. Although I've always thought I've looked bigger than I am.

I'm not sure. What are you measuring with?
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Maybe the thing that is measuring your body fat is out of whack? Are your scales saying a difference? Sure looks like it. How about your measuring tape? I'll bet it is. Keep up the good work!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    What do you mean you feel bigger the smaller you get? Like, you feel like you're still fat?
  • It is weird isn't it? I feel just as fat and uncomfortable some days. I can just imagine how I would feel if I gained some weight back. I guess we must just adjust to where we are. I still have a ways to go, but it looks like you are about to reach your goal. I think when we lose so much weight, it is such unfamilar territory, it takes some time, because obviously you are not bigger. Maybe we have to learn what a normal weight feels like.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    1) Not me.
    2) What are you using to measure body fat %?

I used one of those shop scales I've never measured my bodyfat before and it shocked me
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    I never thought I was that big until I lost the weight and THEN looked at pictures... I think it snuck up on me so I never really SAW myself that way. Now I see the parts that stick out because the fat around them isn't there to camouflage it anymore.

Lots of possibilities about the BF%... If you are not doing sufficient weight bearing exercise while you are dieting, you may have burned more muscle (% wise) than fat...

As a VERY loose general example....

A person was 200 pounds... of that 200 pounds they were 120 pounds of lean mass, and 80 pounds of fat... Putting them at 40% body fat

If they lost 40 pounds, the first thought would be that they are now 160 pounds, 120 pounds lean and 40 pounds fat, 25% body fat, but that is not necessarily true...

If they had lost muscle mass through diet without exercise/weight bearing exercise, the scale will still say 160 pounds... but it could be the lean mass is now 96 pounds and fat is 64 pounds, leaving them still at 40%...

Again this is a VERY general example, but it does show the pattern.

Or you could be measuring erroneously. On several different body fat measuring calculators and scales I come out in a range from 50% to 32%... using the same measurements and obviously same body!!!

Find a reputable place to do a caliper test on you, if you want to see a bit of accuracy.

Congrats on the 61 pounds btw!!! Awesome!!!

:flowerforyou: ~ Sonia