Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can I run?

It sounds simple to just run, but its not. Atleast for me. I am around 5'3 and 190 lbs. I wanna run so bad and someday complete some sort of marathon, even if its just a 5k. I need a plan so I can start. Dont know if I should start on treadmill or outside? I am also heavy chested, which is also a big barrier. Any advice?

Replies

• Have you heard of Couch 2 5K? It's a great way to build up to a 5K gradually. Google C25K and it will show you the workout plan. Good luck!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    throw on a couple of sports bras and do the couch to 5k program...It works great!! Doesn't matter where you start...I do both treadmill and outside!! Hardest part is to get started!! YOu can do it
  • Imagine there is a big dog behind you!

Ofcourse you can run but you need to start slowly and build yourself up.

Good luck!!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Runner's World magazine has similar plans. You can view at www.runnersworld.com
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    It sounds simple to just run, but its not. Atleast for me. I am around 5'3 and 190 lbs. I wanna run so bad and someday complete some sort of marathon, even if its just a 5k. I need a plan so I can start. Dont know if I should start on treadmill or outside? I am also heavy chested, which is also a big barrier. Any advice?

start with walking, then when comfortble, run a bit, then walk and so on.
    thats what i did. started out just running a tiny bit, not when i go out its like 50/50.

oh and i had to basiclly learn the actual movement and co-ordiantion again after breaking my leg about 10 years ago
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Couch 2 5k is great. You can download it onto ipod/iphone. I used it and did a recent 5k race.

Good luck!!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Before you start: GET GOOD SHOES!!!
    Running is hard on your joints, more so witht he extra weight, so make sure you have proper support!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    just take one step - and you will be hooked! No matter how slow or fast - its the fact that you do it that matters the most.

Friend me if you'd like. I'm 5'0" tall.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    I am 5'2" and started at 257lb. I started running at about 215 lbs and did the couch to 5k program mentioned above. As for the heavy chest. I started in an H cup and now am down to a DD my best suggestion is an Enell bra. They are a little spendy but the girls don't jiggle. Not even a little. I got my first one through Lane Bryant but have since ordered them online. So yes you can do it!
  • Do couch to 5k. Go slower than you think you should, even if you think you're crawling. and I 2nd that two bras suggestion. I always where a regular and a sports bra. ;)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

start with walking, then when comfortble, run a bit, then walk and so on.
    thats what i did. started out just running a tiny bit, not when i go out its like 50/50.

oh and i had to basiclly learn the actual movement and co-ordiantion again after breaking my leg about 10 years ago

This ^ minus the broken leg part...I started running at 220 lbs by walking for a couple minutes then jogging for a minute till I run more than I walk...still working on running the whole time but it does get easier and becomes addictive :) Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    As far as getting started, google Couch to 5k. Also, use the search function on these boards by looking for C25k to see what others are talking/asking about. I never followed it exactly but definitely improved my running through steady interval training.

I started outside but had a hard time because I thought running meant sprinting and I'd be out of breath in a minute or less. That's fine if you want to just run sprinting intervals but if you want to work on endurance/distance, you need to run slow and steady. For me, it was easier to do that on the treadmill but I learned how to do it outside too.

You'll definitely need a good bra. I personally don't use a sports bra, just a normal one that is very strong and supportive (Cacique Full Support). I know they make sports bras special for those of us with bigger chests though and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice about that.

I'd also like to recommend that you read "The Courage to Start" by John "The Pengquin" Bingham. It's an excellent book for beginner runners!
  • I am on week 3 day 1 of the C25K program and its amazing how fast you build up your ability to run. I downloaded the app, c25k pro, on my android phone and it tells you when to run and when to walk so you don't have to time yourself while still playing music in the background. The app made all the difference for me...give it a try! There is a free, Lite, version to start with until you feel the $1.99 is worth it :wink:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    I started running at 286lbs. It was hard - but I did it - in intervals. So far I still do interval running. I find it easiest in shorter burst than a full out 5k or anything like that. As for being heavy chested - I invested in some higher quality underwire sports bras that make a big difference - sometimes accompanied by a regular type sports bra for extra support
  • Yes you can run!! Just like every thing in life, practice. It takes time to build up to something like that. Don't overdo it by pushing yourself (like i've done). I've now learned and i just walk outside, maybe slow jog for a little bit. Treadmill is much easier to run on because no resistance, no wind, and other factors so i usually try to run a little more on that. Start out normal and work your way up to it. If you have a smart phone download a running app like NIke+, Endomondo, or Runkeeper. It'll keep track of your runs and everything so each time you can go a little farther and a little faster!! Good luck!!
  • pepperdine
    pepperdine Posts: 26 Member
    I am doing doing something similar to the couch to 5k plan - it's a book called Run Your Butt Off by Runner's world (I think).

I started out at about 235 pounds at 5'7". Most of these programs start you out VERY slow - like 30 seconds of running at a time and even that was too much for me in the beginning.

But, you continually build on your progress. I am now at 8 mins of running/2 mins of walking and that's going well. You can do it!!!! Just go very slow and take it at your own pace!

Good luck!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    I was just over 200lb when I started running with a similar plan to Couch to 5k. I am also rather blessed in the boob department but a decent sports bra helps with that. I would also recommend getting a decent, properly fitted pair of running shoes to protect yourself from injury. As long as you take it slowly, follow the plan and listen to your body you should be fine. Perhaps include some strengthening exercises on your non-running days, once you have gotten a bit more used to it.
  • Yes you can! I didn't believe in myself and I thought I could never run. I got good running shoes (new balance) I started slow only running about 30seconds everyday now I can go a little longer and I'm over 250lbs... It hurts but it feels great!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    If I can do it, ANYONE can!!!!!!!! I am 5'5", large chested (40G) and 43 yrs old. I started running/jogging when I was weighing 200+ lbs. I did the couch to 5K program. granted I am not a fast runner, but now that I can go the 5K distance, I am working on increasing my speed.

wear a good bra, maybe two...and go at a pace you can handle
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Let me start off by saying that I'm 5'1 and when I started running, I was 208 pounds. I started with the C25K plan..threw on a couple of sports bras (because until I have enough cash to invest in one good one, that's just how it is), a pair of shoes and headed out. I absolutely hated it at first, but now I really like it. You can do anything you set your mind to, seriously.