I don't want to lose hair again

milkameisje
milkameisje Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello MFP. As of today, I am 19 years old, 5'9", 253 pounds, and a chronic crash dieter.

I have had multiple accounts on this app over the years. I have an awful history of eating disorders and lost significant amounts of weight in unhealthy ways, only to of course regain. I experienced hair loss, fainting, and other awful side effects.

For the past couple of years I have basically ignored my weight because I feared for my sanity if I continued to crash and gain. However in the past 8 months or so, because of a major depressive episode from not being able to see my LDR boyfriend due to travel restrictions, I have gained 50 pounds. I am the heaviest I have ever been and I want to return to my former state because I couldn't bear to let him see me like this when we are finally together again.

I want this to be the last time I start, and to do it in a healthy manner this time. I am willing to use MFP indefinitely if it means I don't have to look in the mirror and see this misshapen version of myself ever again.

I set my goal to lose 2 pounds a week, however I am aware that this slows significantly as you lose. My calories are set to 1500. I want to know if this is healthy for someone of my size. I have been eating 1500 and feel fine; I just need discipline to not overeat. Please let me know any advice you have for me. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability. Thank you.

Replies

• milkameisje
    1500 calories seems pretty low for someone who is 5'9". How active are you? What do you all day? (e.g., sit most of the day, stand and walk frequently, carry things from one place to another? are you a student/worker sitting in front of a computer all day, someone stocking shelves in retail, someone making deliveries, someone with a job that has you outside moving a lot, using tools, etc.?) If you were a step counter or have a step counter device, how many steps a day on average?

Like a lot of people these days I'm unemployed due to the pandemic. I spend most of my time sitting and put that in my MFP settings as well. Does that change anything?
  • milkameisje
    I agree with this. Also, please bear in mind that your MFP calorie target excludes exercise, so any exercise you do should be logged and at least some of those extra calories earned should be consumed as well.

I spend most of my time sitting, aside from going on walks sometimes. I don't really see that as worth logging or accounting for.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    I would slow down your weekly goal to 1 pound a week and then be more deliberate with getting out and walking. I started at 196 at 5 ft 3 and I’ve lost 11.5 pounds in 5 weeks doing nothing but walking and counting calories with my goal set to lose 2 pound a week.

With your history I absolutely think “slow and steady” is what you need. Focusing on super fast results is how you get yourself into trouble.

I try to remind myself that I didn’t gain the weight overnight and I’m not going to lose it overnight.

Good luck!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I would suggest you track what you are eating as accurately as possible. See if you are weight stable. Then subtract your deficit.