Back again - thoughts on diet and exercise

Options
colleendodd80
colleendodd80 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2020 in Getting Started
Well I am back again, after trying and failing on numerous occasions over the last 6 years.

Now I am approaching 40 and I am determined to be 'fit for forty'. I am a teacher and I am currently working from home, so I think now is the perfect time to establish some healthier habits and routines in time for September, when I will have turned 40 and returned to school.

I have had to be really honest with myself and accept that my drinking is impacting my weight. During lockdown I have been drinking a litre of gin a week! It has become almost the norm to sit in the garden in the sun on an evening and have a 'few' with the hubby. Not to mention the odd beer or glass of wine, I know these are empty calories and usually also result in my eating crap, and feeling it too, so the first action I have taken is to cut back. I halved this amount last week and I've had no beer and no wine either, so I hope this will make a difference.

Last Monday, when I weighed in I weighed 11st 6. I am 5ft 3, so I am definitely overweight! I am hoping to lose a few pounds for our 2 week holiday in 25 days (I am realistic and know this is going back on), however, my target weight by September 5th (my birthday) is 10st.

Over the last week I have averaged around 1330 calories a day (net) 1548 (gross), having exercised in some form every day:

I am currently doing the 30 day squat challenge and have done this every day, without a rest - I am 75 squats as of today.
I have been using 5kg hand weights and have been doing some arm and chest strength training, currently completing 3 sets of 8 reps for 5/7 days.
have danced for 5/7 days for 30-40 mins, on Just Dance 'Intense Just Sweat' mode.
I have walked my dog twice a day, every day, averaging a total of 50 minutes a day.

I have also eaten much better:

I have replaced lots of pastries and junk with lots of chicken, egg, meat, veg, salad, and a little fruit.
I have reduced my carbs - going from eating 2 slices of bread and chips pretty much daily, to eating potatoes 4 times in the week (one small jacket potato, 100g homemade wedges with a small spray of olive oil and 2 portions (each 140g) of mash without milk or butter; and only 5 medium slices of wholemeal bread in the week.
I have had some small treats - a hormone induced large packet of crisps and chocolate bar (I felt so bad afterwards it won't happen again), and half an avocado with my breakfast.

I am taking lots of pics - side, front and back, but I am reluctant to weigh myself too much because I know I will become very despondent and more likely to slip in to old habits. This is another reason why I am reducing my G&Ts rather than cutting them out completely - I know that won't happen!

For now though, how does this seem? Can I improve anything?

Thanks,

Col.

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good start. The main thing is to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable, as opposed to a "diet" to lose weight. Everything you listed can be done for the long term.

You might find a food scale useful as time goes on. I weigh and log everything I eat most days.
  • colleendodd80
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    While I applaud all those things you've done, I can't help wonder if it isn't too much. Too much change too fast...

The only treats you mention are
    - half an avocado: this is not a treat food. This is a very nutritious food, even essential since I don't see any sources of healthy fats in the foods you mentioned. Do you feel it's a treat because it's high fat? For me a treat food is something you eat because you like it, but doesn't have great nutritional value.
    - crisps and chocolate bar, because you lost control, which you feel the need to say that it won't happen again.
    Treats are not evil. Do you think you can ban treats from your life forever? The approach you use for your G&T's is the approach you should use for treats. Moderation, not elimination.

With regards to the treats and all the other changes to your habits, I think gradual changes are more durable. And try to only make changes for weight loss that you can see yourself keeping up afterwards while at maintenance. Or even when you go back to work after the summer, since I presume that will also impact how much exercise is possible in your daily routine and what foods you have access to/time to make.

Thanks so much for your reply - I am not sure if I am using the quote function correctly so apologies. I will try to reply to the points as best I can (for a techphobe).

I should have mentioned that I have always walked the dog twice a day and before lockdown (when I was moving around the class and corridors alot) I was averaging around 17,000 steps a day, so this has probably reduced by half, if not more. I also did strength training times a week but with 2.5kg weights and more reps. I felt the resistance needed to be upped because I wasn't seeing results - but the squats and dancing is a new addition. At the moment, I am feeling great and don't feel to challenged by it but if I do, I will definitely make changes.

I am over the moon that the avocado is a healthy fat - I love them and honestly would eat them every day! I assumed because it was high calorie it wasn't best to eat too many. I would love some advice on what healthy fats to have. I do eat lots of olives, use olive oil, have oily fish etc, but don't really know what else I can add, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are of course right about my attitude toward eating the crisps and chocolate but I honestly feel I have been too easy on myself - constantly justifying poor choices, so I think I need some tough love - especially when I allowed myself to crumble after 6 days of doing so well, but again, you are totally right!

Thanks again!

Colleen

• colleendodd80
    Options
    Sounds like a good start. The main thing is to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable, as opposed to a "diet" to lose weight. Everything you listed can be done for the long term.

You might find a food scale useful as time goes on. I weigh and log everything I eat most days.

Thanks for the reply! I do weigh and log everything, although I forgot to log my coffees with semi-skimmed milk!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,204 Member
    Options
    While I applaud all those things you've done, I can't help wonder if it isn't too much. Too much change too fast...

- half an avocado: this is not a treat food. This is a very nutritious food, even essential since I don't see any sources of healthy fats in the foods you mentioned. Do you feel it's a treat because it's high fat? For me a treat food is something you eat because you like it, but doesn't have great nutritional value.
    - crisps and chocolate bar, because you lost control, which you feel the need to say that it won't happen again.
    Treats are not evil. Do you think you can ban treats from your life forever? The approach you use for your G&T's is the approach you should use for treats. Moderation, not elimination.

With regards to the treats and all the other changes to your habits, I think gradual changes are more durable. And try to only make changes for weight loss that you can see yourself keeping up afterwards while at maintenance. Or even when you go back to work after the summer, since I presume that will also impact how much exercise is possible in your daily routine and what foods you have access to/time to make.

I should have mentioned that I have always walked the dog twice a day and before lockdown (when I was moving around the class and corridors alot) I was averaging around 17,000 steps a day, so this has probably reduced by half, if not more. I also did strength training times a week but with 2.5kg weights and more reps. I felt the resistance needed to be upped because I wasn't seeing results - but the squats and dancing is a new addition. At the moment, I am feeling great and don't feel to challenged by it but if I do, I will definitely make changes.

I am over the moon that the avocado is a healthy fat - I love them and honestly would eat them every day! I assumed because it was high calorie it wasn't best to eat too many. I would love some advice on what healthy fats to have. I do eat lots of olives, use olive oil, have oily fish etc, but don't really know what else I can add, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are of course right about my attitude toward eating the crisps and chocolate but I honestly feel I have been too easy on myself - constantly justifying poor choices, so I think I need some tough love - especially when I allowed myself to crumble after 6 days of doing so well, but again, you are totally right!

I'm reassured with regards to your activity level and exercise :smile:

As for the treats, I have treats every day! Usually in small quantities, but occasionally even half a tub of Ben &Jerry's when I've done a long workout. As long as it fits in my calories.
    Not saying you should have treats every day necessarily, but if you don't feel deprived and foods you like aren't 'off limits', you are less likely to give in and 'go crazy'.
    By the way, I'm always more lenient with myself when I have my period, when I get the occasional junk food craving

Avocado is great. Yes, higher calorie, but if it fits into your calorie goal, go for it. You've mentioned many sources of healthy fats, I'd just like to add nuts also. Although personally, I am unable to eat just a handful of nuts, so I tend to avoid them or my calorie intake skyrockets!
  • colleendodd80
    edited July 2020
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm reassured with regards to your activity level and exercise :smile:

As for the treats, I have treats every day! Usually in small quantities, but occasionally even half a tub of Ben &Jerry's when I've done a long workout. As long as it fits in my calories.
    Not saying you should have treats every day necessarily, but if you don't feel deprived and foods you like aren't 'off limits', you are less likely to give in and 'go crazy'.
    By the way, I'm always more lenient with myself when I have my period, when I get the occasional junk food craving

Avocado is great. Yes, higher calorie, but if it fits into your calorie goal, go for it. You've mentioned many sources of healthy fats, I'd just like to add nuts also. Although personally, I am unable to eat just a handful of nuts, so I tend to avoid them or my calorie intake skyrockets! [/quote]

Thanks again, Lietchi - I feel massively reassured too now.
    I don't normally eat chocolate at all, but I got my period and was watching 12 Years A Slave, and oh boy, recipe for disaster! Normally a treat is my gin - but I just know this has been causing my weight gain because one always turns to three or four and the measures get bigger, so, it has to be cut down.

I am honestly so happy above avocado and olives being okay. I love them. I also eat cheese most days - I love cheese, especially feta and Stilton blue, but yeah, calorific as hell so like you I am now having to be a bit stricter with that! Nuts are a struggle - I am not keen at all.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,204 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat nuts if you don't like them, the other sources are good too, you don't need to eat from ALL the different possible sources :smile:
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fellow teacher here. Welcome.
    I like to think that no food is good or bad just some are big portions and some are small. So like Carrots or Cucumber I can happily have loads of but chocolate I'll have a couple of squares of (I used to easily have a share bar).
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a great start!

In addition to eating things you like in moderation and monitoring your food intake as accurately as you can (since this is more important for weight loss than exercise), I would just caution setting realistic expectations. It may not be possible to lose 20lbs in 2 months safely, which would require an average of more than 2lbs per week including during your holiday. However you can still make good progress in that time!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your reply - I am not sure if I am using the quote function correctly so apologies. I will try to reply to the points as best I can (for a techphobe).

Thanks again!

Colleen

I think, reading between the lines, that you may have a basic, very common, misconception.

Individual foods are not really "good" or "bad", "healthy" or "unhealthy", without considering context or amounts. What can be healthy or unhealthy is one's overall way of eating, because well-rounded nutrition is important for health.

So, simplistically, it's good to get enough protein, enough healthy fats, and plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits (for micronutrients & fiber) on the overwhelming majority of days. Obviously, it's a good thing to do that in an appropriate number of calories (which could be moderately reduced calories for weight loss purposes, maintenance calories for people already at a healthy/happy weight, or even surplus calories for people who may be underweight or trying to add lots of muscle quickly).

Good overall nutrition at appropriate calories is "healthy". Poor overall nutrition, or seriously-inadequate/seriously-excess calories, is "unhealthy" (or at least sub-optimum for health). Within the context of an overall healthy way of eating, it's fine to include reasonable portions of any food you enjoy, that isn't poisonous, an allergen for you, or contraindicated by some medical condition or medication regimen.

Some foods certain people claim are "bad" will make useful contributions to getting enough protein or fats, so in a certain context (enough calories are available, micronutrients decent-ish), it's fine to eat that McD's cheeseburger. Some people say eating added sugar is "bad", but if someone is running a marathon, a sugar-based gel or a handful of gummy bears may be absolutely the food that person needs to keep running without collapsing or getting digestive problems. The individual situation and overall dietary needs (context) plus the portioning (dosage) means an individual food may be helpful to our personal big-picture nutrition on any given day, or not. (The rare day that's sub-ideal isn't a deal-breaker, either: Malnutrition isn't an on/off switch. Habit matter more than exceptions; the majority of our days determine the majority of our health and progress.)

The goal is to try to eat in a way that you can enjoy forever, combining foods you like to get good nutrition at appropriate calories. Exactly what foods those are is much, much less important than the big-picture nutrition.

Clickbait sites and the blogosphere like to drive traffic to their sites, and create obsessed victi... um, consumers, for their products by telling us individual foods are "fat burners" or "superfoods" or "essential for weight loss" or whatever nonsense. Telling people to get well-rounded daily nutrition using foods they like isn't a good way for marketers to make money, so they mostly don't.

All of the above said: Many people find that it will be easier to feel full and happy, and get good basic nutrition, when a majority of their calories come from things like meat, fish, veggies, fruit, grains, and that sort of thing, in relatively simple forms that humans have been eating for centuries and millennia.

Best wishes!
  • colleendodd80
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I will respond individually shortly; I'm stupidly busy planning and marking assessments.

I hugely appreciate and value all your comments!
  • colleendodd80
    Options
    Hi! Fellow teacher here. Welcome.
    I like to think that no food is good or bad just some are big portions and some are small. So like Carrots or Cucumber I can happily have loads of but chocolate I'll have a couple of squares of (I used to easily have a share bar).

Hi there! I have been a little easier on myself this week - allowing myself the odd treat but not bingeing!
  • colleendodd80
    Options
    It sounds like a great start!

In addition to eating things you like in moderation and monitoring your food intake as accurately as you can (since this is more important for weight loss than exercise), I would just caution setting realistic expectations. It may not be possible to lose 20lbs in 2 months safely, which would require an average of more than 2lbs per week including during your holiday. However you can still make good progress in that time!

Thanks redordeadhead,

Once I counted the weeks until my 40th I realised 20lbs is not going to happen, however, I am going away for a week with my husband in the October half-term (late Oct), as a belated 40th present, so this is now my new 'date' to reach 20lbs.
  • colleendodd80
    Options
    I think, reading between the lines, that you may have a basic, very common, misconception.

Individual foods are not really "good" or "bad", "healthy" or "unhealthy", without considering context or amounts. What can be healthy or unhealthy is one's overall way of eating, because well-rounded nutrition is important for health.

So, simplistically, it's good to get enough protein, enough healthy fats, and plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits (for micronutrients & fiber) on the overwhelming majority of days. Obviously, it's a good thing to do that in an appropriate number of calories (which could be moderately reduced calories for weight loss purposes, maintenance calories for people already at a healthy/happy weight, or even surplus calories for people who may be underweight or trying to add lots of muscle quickly).

Good overall nutrition at appropriate calories is "healthy". Poor overall nutrition, or seriously-inadequate/seriously-excess calories, is "unhealthy" (or at least sub-optimum for health). Within the context of an overall healthy way of eating, it's fine to include reasonable portions of any food you enjoy, that isn't poisonous, an allergen for you, or contraindicated by some medical condition or medication regimen.

Some foods certain people claim are "bad" will make useful contributions to getting enough protein or fats, so in a certain context (enough calories are available, micronutrients decent-ish), it's fine to eat that McD's cheeseburger. Some people say eating added sugar is "bad", but if someone is running a marathon, a sugar-based gel or a handful of gummy bears may be absolutely the food that person needs to keep running without collapsing or getting digestive problems. The individual situation and overall dietary needs (context) plus the portioning (dosage) means an individual food may be helpful to our personal big-picture nutrition on any given day, or not. (The rare day that's sub-ideal isn't a deal-breaker, either: Malnutrition isn't an on/off switch. Habit matter more than exceptions; the majority of our days determine the majority of our health and progress.)

The goal is to try to eat in a way that you can enjoy forever, combining foods you like to get good nutrition at appropriate calories. Exactly what foods those are is much, much less important than the big-picture nutrition.

Clickbait sites and the blogosphere like to drive traffic to their sites, and create obsessed victi... um, consumers, for their products by telling us individual foods are "fat burners" or "superfoods" or "essential for weight loss" or whatever nonsense. Telling people to get well-rounded daily nutrition using foods they like isn't a good way for marketers to make money, so they mostly don't.

All of the above said: Many people find that it will be easier to feel full and happy, and get good basic nutrition, when a majority of their calories come from things like meat, fish, veggies, fruit, grains, and that sort of thing, in relatively simple forms that humans have been eating for centuries and millennia.

Best wishes! [/quote]

Thanks for the very insightful and informative response - you are right, I need to ditch the 'get fit quick' mentality and realise this is long-term health and fitness.

This is all a learning curve, and I know that in the long term these harsh diets and strict regimes will lead to burn out, so I have been allowing myself to eat more 'normal' but being proportionate and the weight is still going to come off. Slow and steady!