Mental shift from calorie deficit to surplus

Options
After tracking my food intake and working out over the last year I’ve been able to drop 30lbs. I’ve noticed some pretty stark changes in my body composition and like what I see. Building muscle is now my goal. So I’m struggling with the mental shift from fat loss (cutting calories) to bulking (adding in calories). I have to say that there’s a bit of anxiety there. When you’ve always had that mind thought of calorie deficit, and now, let’s do surplus. I don’t want to loose what I’ve worked really hard for. BTW, I’m 50, so I have many years of this thought process. Does anybody else feel this way and if so, what are some tips you could offer? Much appreciated. 🤗

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Don't jump calories too high too fast. Walk it up 100 calories at a time, about a week or two at a time, until you are at the surplus number you want.

Bulking calories should only be about 250 calories over your maintenance calorie number.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, take it slow and steady, I would agree to keep the gain 250cal per day or 0.5lb per week or less. Even just a hair above maintenance if you are ok with a really slow bulk.

In terms of the mental part, focusing on the positives helps... gains in the right places, gaining strength, setting PRs, looking at progress of other people who have bulked and learning that the fat gained will come off when you cut again. Also with each cycle it becomes easier and you learn to trust the process more.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this as well, I have just started to bulk, I am quite paranoid to the 'fat gain'.

But, just remember to have patience :-) good luck you can do this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to just go to maintenance and continue training. You'll continue to change your body composition and still add muscle, just slower than with a bulk where you will then have to cut the fat again as part of the cycle.

I'm 46 and at this point in my life, doing those bulk and cut cycles is past me and I'm not really looking to get swole anyway...just have a good body composition and to look healthy and fit. I've had really good results when I just eat to maintain and train.
  • higginsl1969
    higginsl1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve worked my way to maintenance calories over the past 2 months. I tried surplus in March but then Covid hit and gyms closed so I figured it wasn’t a good idea to eat all those extra calories without heavy weights. Basically I got scared. So in maintenance I’ve still managed to drop a few more pounds. I’m at approximately 2100 calories a day. I just want to make sure I’m feeding that muscle. It’s like a guessing game.
  • higginsl1969
    Options
    Don't jump calories too high too fast. Walk it up 100 calories at a time, about a week or two at a time, until you are at the surplus number you want.

Bulking calories should only be about 250 calories over your maintenance calorie number.

I like this idea and it seems doable. Not intimidating in any way. Thank you!!
  • higginsl1969
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Another option would be to just go to maintenance and continue training. You'll continue to change your body composition and still add muscle, just slower than with a bulk where you will then have to cut the fat again as part of the cycle.

I'm 46 and at this point in my life, doing those bulk and cut cycles is past me and I'm not really looking to get swole anyway...just have a good body composition and to look healthy and fit. I've had really good results when I just eat to maintain and train.

Being the age I am, I’m not interested in getting swole either. I do want an athletic kick *kitten* look tho. 💪🏻✨ I’ve found that being in maintenance does work. I’ve been testing this out while being stuck at home. And it’s not a struggle. I’m satisfied, not hungry and feel fueled on the daily. Thanks for the tips!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm now 4 weeks at maintenance. At 48 years old I won't be doing a cut and bulk either. I increased calories by 250 which I'm consuming with protein and good carbs. Been slowing gaining size.

I also do a carb reload of Friday. (Family Pizza Night)

It's working!
  • higginsl1969
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I'm now 4 weeks at maintenance. At 48 years old I won't be doing a cut and bulk either. I increased calories by 250 which I'm consuming with protein and good carbs. Been slowing gaining size.

I also do a carb reload of Friday. (Family Pizza Night)

It's working!

I like the pizza night. I’m trying that one for sure!
  • jmata20
    jmata20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You rock !!! It’s a shift for sure but depending on your goals or health it will be one that will greatly benefit you and yours for the foreseeable future. The discipline and knowledge you’ll gain from this journey will come back tenfold .
  • higginsl1969
    Options
    jmata20 wrote: »
    You rock !!! It’s a shift for sure but depending on your goals or health it will be one that will greatly benefit you and yours for the foreseeable future. The discipline and knowledge you’ll gain from this journey will come back tenfold .

It already has. It’s a part of my lifestyle now and there’s no going back! Thank you!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd spend some time at maintenance, reinforcing habits of what it's like to eat at that level, which is going to eventually be your long term goal. Increasing directly from deficit to surplus can sometimes trigger going back to old habits with an excuse of "but it's ok, I'm supposed to be gaining"
  • higginsl1969
    Options
    I'd spend some time at maintenance, reinforcing habits of what it's like to eat at that level, which is going to eventually be your long term goal. Increasing directly from deficit to surplus can sometimes trigger going back to old habits with an excuse of "but it's ok, I'm supposed to be gaining"

I totally agree with your suggestion. There is no rush for the goals I want to achieve. It will happen eventually over time and the slower I go, the more likely I’m apt to stick with it. It’s already been a year and a half!
    Thanks.