1500 cal Vs 1200

Options
2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm glad you guys typed that all out, I've had this discussion quite a few times and - let's face it - Ann is a better faster typist.

:::flowerforyou:::
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm glad you guys typed that all out, I've had this discussion quite a few times and - let's face it - Ann is a better faster typist.

A cranky personality plus fast touch-typing skills (with a physical old-school QWERTY keyboard to support same) can be a wonderful but terrible thing. :lol::lol::lol:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

A cranky personality plus fast touch-typing skills (with a physical old-school QWERTY keyboard to support same) can be a wonderful but terrible thing. :lol::lol::lol:

Wait. There's some other form of keyboard than QWERTY?

I used to like to hear myself type. Now I'd rather drink iced tea on the porch.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally about elderly people weighing more... my maternal grandpa has always been chubby, but nothing that I would think of as "obese" (I don't know what he weighed). Since grandma died and no longer makes every meal for him, he has lost a lot of weight. The consensus with both family and his doctors is that without the extra energy reserves on him, he would have most likely died already or been forced to move to a nursing home due to weakness and deteriorating health. So, in his case, being overweight has protected him from severe health problems.

My paternal grandpa was morbidly obese. His kidneys failed so he missed a lot of big things like my graduation because it was on dialysis day, and died of a heart attack.

From these two examples, there are two note-worthy things: being a bit chubby/overweight is not the same thing as morbid obesity. Also, my paternal grandpa was ~75 when he died, my maternal grandpa is now 85. The OP is 47. That's a big difference, and personally I really don't think the "what's healthy for older people" discussion applies to anyone under 60, or possibly even 70.
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    my fitness app says 1800 calories and when i walk a bit it goes up. On Sunday after my hike it said I could have 3800 calories ;-)
    No idea what my diet calorie intake is at the moment (its high protein low carb) but last Monday I had lost 5.1kg (3.5kg fat) in 2 weeks.
    Going to get weighed again today so wonder what it is after my 3rd week.

I am 57, 183cm tall and was 94.8kg but last weigh in 88.9.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »

This is obviously just my opinion, but I hope you will listen to all of us saying that 1 kg/week is too much. I chafed at 1lb/week at first, but now that it is working so well, I'm so pleased and excited. I used to lose 20 lbs in 2 months over the summer and then fall off my plan--time after time.

This is what my experience has been as well. I was so stubborn with wanting to lose the 2 pounds per week and feeling like anything else was "too slow." When in reality, that was incredibly stupid because I literally wasted years just yo-yo dieting. I'd come on MFP and religiously follow my 1200 calorie goal for a month-6 weeks, lose 10-12 pounds, and then fall off the wagon for months at a time. A couple of times I really white knuckled it and made it several months- one time I even lost 25 pounds and got back down into a healthy BMI. Then the holidays hit and I just couldn't make the 1200 calories work. I put those 25 pounds back on in addition to about 25 more!

I finally decided to try a weight loss goal of 1 pound per week so I could get a lot more calories. When you think short term, it absolutely feels incredibly slow- only losing 4 pounds per month when I have a lot to lose. However, think just a bit longer term and then it seems like a lot. 25ish pounds in 6 months, 50ish pounds in a year. I've been going pretty strong since January 1 and now that I'm 7 months in, my results are huge. And I am so much happier with the way it's going. I'm not white knuckling it, killing myself in the gym, or obsessing over food and how I can get around events I want to do but involve too many calories. Now I get 1550 calories per day (started with a bit more when I was heavier). If I want more, I do a little more walking and eat my exercise calories back.

Many days I actually eat between 1600-1700 calories (just have to get my walking in, which is easy since most of it is done in front of the TV and at varied times throughout the day- doesn't feel stressful or strenuous), which just seems like a huge number after years of thinking I could only have 1200. And I'm losing weight- a lot of weight! Some days I feel like I'm cheating- still losing weight while eating food I actually want to eat, not feeling hungry or deprived, not letting my "diet" dictate my social life, etc. If only I had figured this out years ago!

1 pound per week is the best kept secret in the diet industry LOL

When I finally adjusted my attitude about dieting and set things to 1 pound per week, everything clicked and it was kind of like a religious conversion. I finally saw the light - things other dieters couldn't or wouldn't see. Namely, about how to do this right.

Of course, it wasn't like a billion people hadn't already said right here on MFP that 2 lbs or more per week is too aggressive and likely to end in a regain. Maybe some things you need to experience for yourself to really get it.

Not saying there aren't people who crush their 2 lb/week goals and achieve success, there obviously are. I think it's more about putting the odds in your favor, versus dealing in absolutes. It is really, really hard on body and mind to keep up a thousand calorie deficit every day - and unnecessary. A pound a week is plenty of weight loss; it adds up quickly as the months go by.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Agreed but I have only entered 1kg/week (2lbs) which doesn't seem unreasonable? Yes, I thought the age and goal weight thing was odd too.

Maintenance is 2000cal/day.

I'm your height and weighed more than you when I started. I wonder if you, like me, were conditioned to think of 2 pounds per week as an "only" due to shows like The Biggest Loser.

That was certainly my thought process when I first came to MFP - "If they can lose double digits, I should be able to lose 2 pounds per week."

This goal didn't last through lunch my first day :lol:
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Wait. There's some other form of keyboard than QWERTY? /b]

I used to like to hear myself type. Now I'd rather drink iced tea on the porch.

Yes, several. Most well-known is Dvorak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard_layout

Y'all oughta be glad I didn't learn to touch-type Dvorak. :lol:

I can near-touch-type with just my left hand, so keep drinking my coffee (or tea ;) ), too, after 30 years in an IT career where lots of my time was spent writing either code or documentation/emails. :lol: Scary!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I knew that, I just didn't know anyone actually used it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I knew that, I just didn't know anyone actually used it.

{raises hand}

And to this thread - in one read this has been a great compilation of info and experiences that should be useful to anyone wondering the same thing.

If only there was a search button for it to be found by others for reading.....
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check out those articles. The "not supposed to get as skinny" was maybe a bad choice of words. I definately don't think women should eat more as they get older!:/

I think eating more as an old person is pretty swell, if a person is lucky enough to be able to do it while happily maintaining a sensible weight. I'll be sad if/when my healthy-weight maintenance TDEE shrinks from its 64 y/o level of 2000+ calories daily. ;)
    That's a good point! The more I look into it the bone density loss might have more to do with our body composition and %fat rather than body weight. The minimum suggested is 17% for under age 29, 18% for age 30-49, and 19% for over 50.
    hipari wrote: »
    Anecdotally about elderly people weighing more... my maternal grandpa has always been chubby, but nothing that I would think of as "obese" (I don't know what he weighed). Since grandma died and no longer makes every meal for him, he has lost a lot of weight. The consensus with both family and his doctors is that without the extra energy reserves on him, he would have most likely died already or been forced to move to a nursing home due to weakness and deteriorating health. So, in his case, being overweight has protected him from severe health problems.

My paternal grandpa was morbidly obese. His kidneys failed so he missed a lot of big things like my graduation because it was on dialysis day, and died of a heart attack.

From these two examples, there are two note-worthy things: being a bit chubby/overweight is not the same thing as morbid obesity. Also, my paternal grandpa was ~75 when he died, my maternal grandpa is now 85. The OP is 47. That's a big difference, and personally I really don't think the "what's healthy for older people" discussion applies to anyone under 60, or possibly even 70.

Genetics is a pretty big deal, in bone loss, IMU. Personally, I blame some of my cancer-related medication regimen (anti-estrogens) for my osteoporosis/osteopenia, because fat people aren't supposed to be as vulnerable to it, and I was fat (obese class 1) when it developed. Momma didn't have a serious bone loss problem (that I could see - not so much formally diagnosed in anyone before she passed away in 1993). Pretty sure my paternal grandmother did, though, since she broke her hip in later years - more than once, IIRC, but I was only10 when she died in 1965.