What’s better: times interval workouts or standard reps & sets??

Options
Hey y’all,

I was just thinking about how when I first started working out I didn’t know much about it and how to make my own plans so I started by following a lot of the online ones from youtubers. And they were great! No hate for those, but mind you they’re all usually like timed circuit type workouts. Like 12 exercises, 45 sec on 15 sec off. But they’re not really HIIT style where you keep your heart rate up and give it 200%. They’re just any other exercise that you’d do in the gym or at home with body weight.

Now though, I got more into fitness and those videos got boring for me. I get a lot more fun out if making my own plans and programs with moves that excite me, and work for me. And now I follow a typical gym type workout with like 8-10 exercises with 10-12 reps and 3-4 sets.

But for the last few days I just haven’t really felt like making my own plan so I’ve just been following some trusted internet plans on those times circuit type workouts and it got me thinking:

Which kind of workout is REALLY more effective??

Because with the timed intervals they usually only do each exercise once, but I feel like I get more out of doing multiple sets of one move. But maybe that’s just my gym brain.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    More effective for what?

Enjoyment?
    Muscle mass gain? Strength gain?
    Appearance? (Specifically what aspects?)
    Combining some cardio benefits and some strength benefits into the same workout (maybe not optimizing the results of either dimension, but getting some of both types of benefits)?
    To do every day, or some workout days and some rest days (or alternated with some other fitness activity (specifically what?))
    In context of what other fitness activities and goals?

Any type of workout, even just the good ones, has pros and cons, and those are best evaluated in context of your personal goals.

If your goal is strength or mass, a good progressive standard reps/sets program designed by a knowledgeable professional is your best bet. There are a bunch here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you like the combo approach, some cardio & some strength all in one time span, I can't - with apologies - suggest good sources, because that's not my jam. (I row a good bit, water & machine, and lift some, in personalized and idiosyncratic ways because I have imbalances to work on fixing, and pre-existing physical problems to work around.)

If enjoyment is a big piece of it, only you know which is best in that sense.

What outcome(s) are you looking for? What objectives do you have?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the question. What are your goals? What kind of program are you following?
  • mbathlete1
    mbathlete1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In agreement with above response it depends on what you’re trying to achieve! Every type and mode of exercise bares some form of benefit towards fitness in the long run. So the best form of exercise will need to be relative to goals, combination of both would be a good thing.

If you find the circuit less challenging consider doing them x2.

But do be careful not to stay in the upper limit of heart rate for too long a period.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your goals and how sensitive you respond to training.

Generally speaking a optimal training block will incorporate a variety of rep and intensity ranges throughout.

When, how, and why we dose has to do with the individual and can't be answered in a forum post.

I encourage you to take the data on how you respond and read literature on how to program yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    mbathlete1 wrote: »
    In agreement with above response it depends on what you’re trying to achieve! Every type and mode of exercise bares some form of benefit towards fitness in the long run. So the best form of exercise will need to be relative to goals, combination of both would be a good thing.

If you find the circuit less challenging consider doing them x2.

But do be careful not to stay in the upper limit of heart rate for too long a period.

Why?