Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Age isn't really the main factor at all for weight loss.
    Losing weight is always mostly about how much you eat whatever your age.
    Injuries aren't unique to aging either - I started wrecking my knees and back way back in my 20's and 30's.

There are some differences in that the rate of fitness improvements and recovery from exercise are slower as you age. I definitely have to train a bit smarter rather than go all out all of the time. But my volume of exercise is higher than ever but I've built that up steadily and progressively over a long time period.

For health and fitness my 50's have been a great decade and losing the excess weight has noticeably reduced the pain from my old injuries.

Keep it up Amy, it's worth it.

I'm 67 and I completely agree.

I am 67 too. I am losing weight in my 60’s and it isn’t any harder than it was when I was in my 20’s.
    I bought into the whole idea that, “it’s harder to lose weight over 40”, and figured, why try?
    It takes commitment, dedication, and perseverance, no matter what age you are, and most people, with no medical issue that could affect weight loss, can do this. There are many, many people here, adults of all ages, that have done, and are doing it.
    I exercise more now, than I have done in decades. Losing the weight has made a lot of difference in my mobility.

I agree. I lost 40+ lbs in my 60s. The real issue is that most of us let ourselves get more sedentary and do less to preserve muscle mass as we age. I understand why. Career and family responsibilities, especially if we have a desk job, time pressure. It is more difficult than when we were young to stay active.
    But, if we increase out N.E.A.T. (or keep it high) and mind our calories, we can lose weight just fine. I feel that the age thing is really an excuse for these other factors.

Personally, I walk, intentionally or otherwise, 4 to 5 miles per day (sometimes more) and weight train 3 to 4 times per week. I am at the lowest weight and body fat I've been since I was 30. I'm am fit and can do pretty much anything I ever could. I just may not be able to do it as often. As sjomial pointed out, recover from vigorous activity becomes a little more of an issue.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just breaking this down to the math there is a greater impact from calories than exercise in the average individual.

1200 kcals intake vs 600 kcals of an intense exercise session.

To ensure success monitor and control you intake and output.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just turned 56 yesterday and I have lost 37 lbs over the past 3 months. When I am at work I just get up and walk up and down the hall every hour or so...just to keep moving. When I am at home I use a recumbent bike for my cardio exercise....it is easy on my back and knees.
  • MauiCinnamon
    MauiCinnamon Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    What scares me a bit is how little I can eat now to lose weight. I weigh food, track it daily and exercise 5 times a week burning 300-400 calories a session yet I cannot lose weight eating 1600-1700 calories anymore -- but I can maintain. I have to drop it close to 1200 for the scale to start budging and that is without eating back calories. Is this what is going on for anyone else?
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have found that my new fitness tracker overestimates the calorie burn, so I had to tweak my height to get it to be more in line with my real calorie burn. That said, overall, my activity level has decreased from age 55 to 58 because I am less involved in daily activities such as clothes shopping and school socializing for the kids.