Can someone talk sense into me?

Hi all,

I’m being daft and was wondering if one of you lovely people could share some knowledge, experience and reassurance!

I’m 26 and 5’6”. My SW was 243lb (13/04/20) and CW is 197. I’m pleased with my progress. But the last couple of weeks I’ve been daft and gone from eating a comfortable 1600-1800 calories a day (I’m breastfeeding a 9 month old) to eating around 1300 calories a day (barring Saturday where I ate an obscene amount of homemade cherry crumble and custard- TOTM).

So the inevitable has happened, I’m really tired and sluggish. I’ve not done any exercise for weeks because I’m tired. Fortunately my milk supply is still fine. I know I need to increase my calories and accept that the weight loss needs to slow down. But I’ve got trapped in this cycle of feeling horrible about my size and thinking “I can afford to lose the weight fast”. I also worry that if I increase my calories I’ll see weight gain... which the sensible part of me knows that it’ll just be water weight because I’m not eating several thousands of calories over maintenance. Major diet fatigue. Please sort me out! I don’t want to undo everything and resort back to old habits because what I’m doing currently is unsustainable.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    You’ll start losing hair if you stay at 1300 while breastfeeding. Take it from me, I did it (and I am shorter (5’1) and was lighter (150-125 lbs)). Bring it up to 1600 minimum. You’ll still lose at a quick rate, but your body won’t suffer as much.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    IIRC, doesn't breastfeeding burn about 500 cal. a day? Take care of YOU so that you can take care of your little one. :) Make good food choices and eat at least 1700-1800 cal. a day, if you're sedentary or slightly active. You've crossed a bump in the road and I understand you don't want to fall into your old pattern of eating but please don't skimp on nutrition. Being a new mom, you'll wear out faster and find yourself dragging more trying to keep up. By the way, if you're taking in only about 1300 cal. now, you're leaving about 800 for your own health. And we all know how that works. :( No wonder you're feeling all dragged out. :(
    Good luck!!!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Could you plan your 1300 day and then add in another 500 calories but make sure it's all healthy stuff so you don't feel guilty and you feel like you're eating for your health and your milk? Apple and peanut butter, hemp seeds, oatmeal "breastfeeding" cookies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Could you plan your 1300 day and then add in another 500 calories but make sure it's all healthy stuff so you don't feel guilty and you feel like you're eating for your health and your milk? Apple and peanut butter, hemp seeds, oatmeal "breastfeeding" cookies.

Now I really want to know what a breastfeeding cookie would be. :lol:

I'm a little old lady, I'm calling them breast sag cookies.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member

... or perhaps "breast sag pancakes?"

I'll be 70 in January.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Have you thought about incorporating some cherry crumble into every day of the week? I am eating around 1400 calories a day, but every morning a pre-log in a dessert. So, I have my breakfast and log that, then scroll down to dinner and enter "1 cup ice cream" or "2 homemade cookies". It takes some planning but I don't feel deprived all the time. I don't eat sweets in a panic at the end of the week because I've been steadily eating healthy with a treat. I find it helpful to log that in advance, because then I know how many calories I have left to play with. Glad to hear you're upping your calorie goals - fatigue plus caring for a baby plus changing eating habits is a lot to tackle all at once. You should experience more energy eating a little more, and dare I say have more fun along the way!
  • Svhmaddison
    Svhmaddison Posts: 17 Member

... or perhaps "breast sag pancakes?"

I'll be 70 in January.

I can already relate to breast sag! TMI but since breastfeeding I swear one boob is a stone heavier than the other 😂

• KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    I struggle a lot with this myself.

Just the other day, i forgot to take my eating disorder meds, and knew i was in for a day of eating.

So let me think about that day..

I had oatmeal for breakfast, some taco mac and cheese for lunch, chicken lasagna for supper, i got home from work and of course did end up snacking a lot.. i had more taco mac and cheese, i ate carrots and raspberry vinaigrette, i had a peanut butter sandwich, then another slice of bread with peanut butter and then cheese cubes with more salad dressing.

I know right? Lol

I didnt weigh anything and stopped logging it. I have acknowledged that i have to put myself through uncomfortable things and see the results.

So.. we have facts we know.. extra carbs and sodium will effect water weight, and we also know that one day wont negate progress, however facts sometimes need that confirmation.

So, no matter how uncomfortable i am, and believe me, i squirm lol, cause my brain often wants to resort to old eating disorder habits of restriction..

I give it a week, rather then manipulate my calories, i try and keep an eye on my macros, so, i try and make sure the weeks meals are a healthy amount of carbs and i try to keep my sodium at or under the 2300 mfp has, i drink lots of water and still eat treats, usually before the week is up, ive seen the scale return to normal and that confirmation has let me know that the facts i know, also apply to me lol

Also during my period a couple weeks ago, i was eating 2300 to 2500 for several days and my goal is usually 1800 to 2000, and when i finished my period, i dropped all the weight i was supposed to lose, so i know that even a few days of it also doesnt hurt.

I track my period so i know my increased hunger is from that and i dont fight it, i let myself eat a little more, because i have to get used to that, not every day is gonna be perfect and i just gotta roll with it
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member

Now I really want to know what a breastfeeding cookie would be. :lol:

Essentially just cookies but made with things like oats and flaxseed in. I found they were great when I was getting knackered and needed a pick me up.