Popcorn - An Open Letter

breefoshee
breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
What the heck, Popcorn? I thought we were friends. I thought I found the perfect, low-cal snack. I thought you were the one for me.

I thought I was eating I was eating 170 calories of popped goodness, only to find that you were 425 calories of deception. You blinded me with your lies. Sometimes... I indulged twice a day.

You mesmerized me with your 35 calories per cup popped and 170 calories per 2tbsp unpopped. I didn't see the serving amount per bag-- I'm not a fricken scientist, Popcorn! I don't know math off the top of my head!

...255 calories over budget every weekday for weeks+ 1020 over on weekends=2295 over weekly!

That's half of my weekly deficit! How could you deceive me so?

Not cool. Not cooooool.

*If anyone sees or hears from popcorn... remember to do the math before you accept his invitation.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Popcorn is tricksy.

I still love it.

I make it on the stovetop in a pan a couple times per week. About 300 calories of delicious filling fiber and carbs. I even put butter and protein powder on mine.
  • breefoshee
    Popcorn is tricksy.

I still love it.

I make it on the stovetop in a pan a couple times per week. About 300 calories of delicious filling fiber and carbs. I even put butter and protein powder on mine.

I love it toooo! I can make it healthier/lower calories. I just thought I found the diamond in the rough lol because it was lightly sweetened and so convenient. And there was so much. I could munch for a long time.
  • breefoshee
    In all honesty, it does make me a little excited to find the error. I couldn't figure out why I hadn't lost in the past few weeks. Now, I know and can fix it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I hate to be a buzzkill, but are you factoring in the oil in those microwaveable bags? I would think one of those bags would be in the 400-600 calorie range.
  • pmalexis_
    pmalexis_ Posts: 61 Member
    Hi! I absolutely adore popcorn! It’s my favorite snack! I suggest buying a microwaveable popcorn bowl and I popped kernels! You don’t have to add oil or anything!

You can add spray butter and salt for some flavor but it’s very healthy without/very little of those additions!
  • pmalexis_
    pmalexis_ Posts: 61 Member
    *I meant unpopped!
  • breefoshee
    I hate to be a buzzkill, but are you factoring in the oil in those microwaveable bags? I would think one of those bags would be in the 400-600 calorie range.

I already buzzkilled myself lol! It was a "healthier" lighter bag. The whole bag was 425-- which i was eating thinking 170.
  • breefoshee
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Popcorn and I have an understanding with our relationship.

He's a small 90-calorie side, named Orville, who I see on occasion. Today was one of those days. Our afternoon tryst included some butter. It's kind of our thing but only once in a while.

Sounds like you have a good one! Hold on to him-- there are so few of them left!!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    *snip*

Sounds like you have a good one! Hold on to him-- there are so few of them left!!

lol Here's the one I have: https://orville.conagrafoods.ca/product/smart-pop/

Not sure why it gets 2.5 out of 5 stars but I like the pre-portioned aspect and it gives me a reason to use the microwave.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Been there, done that! I don’t know why but the way calories are listed on popcorn is so confusing to me!
  • breefoshee
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    *snip*

lol Here's the one I have: https://orville.conagrafoods.ca/product/smart-pop/

Not sure why it gets 2.5 out of 5 stars but I like the pre-portioned aspect and it gives me a reason to use the microwave.

Thanks! I'll try it out. I do really like hot popcorn rather than the cold portioned out stuff. Maybe this will do the trick.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Air popped.
    No oil.
    You can do it in the microwave if you don’t have an air popper.
  • breefoshee
    Been there, done that! I don’t know why but the way calories are listed on popcorn is so confusing to me!

I have to admit that this is my SECOND TIME doing this with popcorn. The first time was like 5 years ago and I completely forgot about it until now.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    I use smartpop too.

The 50g bags I've been getting the past few months consistently have about 58g of popped kernels (and very few, if any, have a significant number of un-popped kernels).

The dog does seem to appreciate her 7 to 9g of popped corn split over a couple of snack sessions that she gets every time I make popcorn!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I’m an air popper myself (less mess), but I do know the feeling of finding a daily logging mistake.

For a long while I had almond ricotta coffee cake in the morning with coffee. Flourless sugarless, it was great macros for a morning snack for me. Had it almost every day. I built the recipe, rinse & repeat. One random day I’m standing in the pantry (don’t remember why) and the nutrition label on the almond almond meal caught my eye. It was eye poppingly caloric. Quick head math said something was off with my recipe. Checked it and it was waaaay off. I really didn’t remember inputting the product or if it was another users entry, but it was wrong. I had been using it for probably a year.

Live and learn, OP. It’s all any of us can do.
  • breefoshee
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I’m an air popper myself (less mess), but I do know the feeling of finding a daily logging mistake.

For a long while I had almond ricotta coffee cake in the morning with coffee. Flourless sugarless, it was great macros for a morning snack for me. Had it almost every day. I built the recipe, rinse & repeat. One random day I’m standing in the pantry (don’t remember why) and the nutrition label on the almond almond meal caught my eye. It was eye poppingly caloric. Quick head math said something was off with my recipe. Checked it and it was waaaay off. I really didn’t remember inputting the product or if it was another users entry, but it was wrong. I had been using it for probably a year.

Live and learn, OP. It’s all any of us can do.

Oh man! That is no fun-- especially if you were eating it thinking how amazing it was and how good you were doing.
    I really need to pay more attention. Last night, after my work out, I was downing what I thought was a white cherry Powerade Zero. It tasted so goood. I randomly looked at the carbs and saw it was like 30grams and was like "Whhhhat?!" Then turned it around to see that I had accidentally gotten a regular powerade.
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    who doesn’t love popcorn. Also. That is some pretty evil cut eye above me!! Lol
    Sharing is caring!!!
  • breefoshee
    bdelaney33 wrote: »
    who doesn’t love popcorn. Also. That is some pretty evil cut eye above me!! Lol
    Sharing is caring!!!

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I like it air popped with a bunch of spices but my depressed snack is buttered popcorn with melted cheddar and parmesan with sea salt, garlic powder, and chipotle pepper. I no longer keep cheese and popcorn in the house!