Weight training for women. Need some support

Hi, ladies who have been weight training? How long did it take you to lose the last 5kg? I am doing keto and weight training. I am maintaining calorie deficit but the scales are not budging. I need some success stories to stay motivated. Also can you share your training program please?
Thanks so much

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm always losing the last 5kg (after each bulk cycle or pregnancy!) I've been lifting for 6 years now. For me just patience, lots of diet breaks, refeeds (on weekends). Higher protein. Especially as I get leaner I take more breaks.

Is there a reason you are doing keto? Keto and lifting can be a tricky balance especially if you want to maximize your workout performance and muscle retention as you cut. Maybe look into timing your carbs around your workouts if you are set on keto. Totally up to you though. I can't handle anything less than 100g carbs even on rest days. Make sure you are getting at least 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight (since you are closer to goal).

Are you weighing and measuring your food, even on weekends? The last few lbs/kg typically require more accuracy in terms of logging.
    Did you just start a workout program? Add volume or cardio? You can retain water which can affect the scales. If it's been a month or so with no scale movement definitely tighten up the logging.

My training program is typically 3 days full body, 1 day glutes. It changes but I've had the most success with that overall for my personal goals. Just make sure you are following a progressive program for best results.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm always losing the last 5kg (after each bulk cycle or pregnancy!) I've been lifting for 6 years now. For me just patience, lots of diet breaks, refeeds (on weekends). Higher protein. Especially as I get leaner I take more breaks.

Is there a reason you are doing keto? Keto and lifting can be a tricky balance especially if you want to maximize your workout performance and muscle retention as you cut. Maybe look into timing your carbs around your workouts if you are set on keto. Totally up to you though. I can't handle anything less than 100g carbs even on rest days. Make sure you are getting at least 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight (since you are closer to goal).

Are you weighing and measuring your food, even on weekends? The last few lbs/kg typically require more accuracy in terms of logging.
    Did you just start a workout program? Add volume or cardio? You can retain water which can affect the scales. If it's been a month or so with no scale movement definitely tighten up the logging.

My training program is typically 3 days full body, 1 day glutes. It changes but I've had the most success with that overall for my personal goals. Just make sure you are following a progressive program for best results.

Everything sardelsa said. What worked for me is upping my protein, progressive lifting and definitely patience. My diet is not stellar. When I'm focused, logging my food and NO alcohol I see great results. When I am slipping in the eating and drinking area I maintain. Muscle development really helps in the maintaining. The number on the scale may go down slow sometimes not at all LOL, but when you see your body transforming that is enough motivation.

Good luck to you!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Trey2k3 wrote: »
    I'm not a woman but I'll give a bit of advice ma'am. Focus less on the weight scale because they're way too many factors that can impact your weight especially as a woman. Between water retention, your cycle, etc. it can be a little deceiving on your progression. However, a mirror will always be honest and transparent to you. When I began my journey of being 274 after my teenage son told me I needed a bra besides I had man breasts 😡, I knew I needed to get it together. I laughed it off and it really hurt my feelings but he was right! Anyway, I hired a fitness and the first thing he requested was that I take photos weekly of me just my underwear and keep a photo journal because he shared the same thing to me about the weight scale. I still continued to use the scale but only as a tool but he was correct about the photos. My rolls began to get smaller while my scale didn't budge but after almost a month the scale began to cooperate with the results I was visualizing from the pictures. If I didn't have documented it visually, I probably would've quit my journey. I regained my six-pack and now I stay between 213 and 218. Lastly, please remember that all calories aren't created equal. A slice of plain cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factor is around 700 calories. Your body will process the cheesecake significantly different than a 700 calorie grilled salmon salad with olive oil. I hope this helps and good luck meeting your goals! P.S. My son is now a senior in college and we're probably on the same level as it pertains to shape which brings me joy and self gratification! LOL

This is very inspiring and true. And I had to chuckle about the man boobs! :D Our kids are always honest! It's a good thing!

But yeah especially the scale! It took me a month b4 I saw the scale move and it can be discouraging. If you take photos, measurements, Body Analysis machine (if you have access to one) pretty soon the number on the scale wont matter.
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Took me a year to lose around 18kgs trust the process!
  • medhakhanna471
    medhakhanna471 Posts: 46 Member
    Thank you so much everyone. I just sometimes doubt if I am doing this correctly. I will continue and just have some patience
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Trey2k3 wrote: »
    I'm not a woman but I'll give a bit of advice ma'am. Focus less on the weight scale because they're way too many factors that can impact your weight especially as a woman. Between water retention, your cycle, etc. it can be a little deceiving on your progression. However, a mirror will always be honest and transparent to you. When I began my journey of being 274 after my teenage son told me I needed a bra besides I had man breasts 😡, I knew I needed to get it together. I laughed it off and it really hurt my feelings but he was right! Anyway, I hired a fitness and the first thing he requested was that I take photos weekly of me just my underwear and keep a photo journal because he shared the same thing to me about the weight scale. I still continued to use the scale but only as a tool but he was correct about the photos. My rolls began to get smaller while my scale didn't budge but after almost a month the scale began to cooperate with the results I was visualizing from the pictures. If I didn't have documented it visually, I probably would've quit my journey. I regained my six-pack and now I stay between 213 and 218. Lastly, please remember that all calories aren't created equal. A slice of plain cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factor is around 700 calories. Your body will process the cheesecake significantly different than a 700 calorie grilled salmon salad with olive oil. I hope this helps and good luck meeting your goals! P.S. My son is now a senior in college and we're probably on the same level as it pertains to shape which brings me joy and self gratification! LOL

This was very accurate. Photos work! Good luck to all!

• stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    ! P.S. My son is now a senior in college and we're probably on the same level as it pertains to shape which brings me joy and self gratification! LOL [/quote]

I love this! I’m 47 and started boxing Classes about a year ago. I’ve been lifting since I’ve been home, and both of my teenagers comment with awe at how “buff” I am. It makes me very happy! Badass is how I’d like my kids to think of me 🤣