Strength: Now or Later?

Options
I want to build muscle as well as lose weight, but I'm not sure whether I should focus on intensive strength training while I lose or if I should wait until after I've lost the weight. Which is better? Or does it not matter? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,806 Member
    Options
    I would want to tone up as I lose ....I do both cardio and use my "total Gym" alternating days ....wishing you the very best :)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don’t build muscle while losing then you won’t have the physic (I’m guessing) that you are aiming for.

I personally lift 4 days a week and do cardio 6-7 days. Sometimes my cardio is taking the dogs out and sometimes it’s both cardio equipment and a dog walk, depending on time. For weights I do an upper/lower split. It all depends on what your goals are, what you enjoy doing, and how much time you have.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    I've read a bunch of people here say they wish they'd started strength training sooner during weight loss, and I can't remember ever reading a single one saying they wish they'd waited.

Furthermore, muscle mass is much easier/quicker to retain than it is to regain. Overweight people (perhaps surprisingly?) tend to have a bit more muscle mass than always-slimmer people of similar genetics and activity level, just from moving the extra weight around. Why not strength train during loss, and try to convince your body to keep as much of it as possible?

The worst that can happen is that you'll get stronger (useful) and look fitter (pretty cool) and keep existing muscle mass. The best that can happen is that as a beginner, you might even slowly gain some mass, even though that's generally challenging to do in a calorie deficit.

Start now. :)

Useful info here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Best wishes!
  • Maademperor
    Maademperor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Now. I'm not sure how old you are but building muscle and strength takes a long time and a lot of work. Its also metabolically more valuable than cardio alone...i say unless you are training for a marathon its worthwhile to get familiar with the weights sooner than later
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I find that doing just cardio doesn’t shape me the way that strength training does. I’ve also noticed a lot more stamina when performing cardio since implementing three days a week of weights
  • Oakfrost
    Oakfrost Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all so much for your replies! They were really insightful and helpful. I'll definitely be strength training while I lose.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    What?!?! You're not lifting already? Oh btw, gaining muscle in a deficit is hard unless you have a lot of weight to lose or are a gym newbie.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Do it yesterday, don’t delay!

I disagree. Start the DAY BEFORE yesterday!
  • MelissaLu1216
    MelissaLu1216 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with cravings when strength training? I haven't been able to for a while because of lack of finances but will be able to go back to the gym soonish (depending on COVID). I just remember it being so hard for me to stick to my calorie goal cause I was so ravenous, lol
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Please start slowly so you don't injure yourself 😃
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    How do you all deal with cravings when strength training? I haven't been able to for a while because of lack of finances but will be able to go back to the gym soonish (depending on COVID). I just remember it being so hard for me to stick to my calorie goal cause I was so ravenous, lol

I was able to figure out how to use the miniscule extra calories I got for doing it, and rearrange some other food timing stuff, and not have it be a big problem, which is was more of when I re-started doing it during weight loss. Exact strategy depended on timing with respect to meals, but usually for me it was getting some carbs right before (especially if I was feeling a little low energy at the time), and having a little snack after if a meal wasn't coming real soon.

All of these satiation things seem to be very individual though, so my general advice would to to experiment a little with food timing or composition (which macros/foods, when). Nutrient timing isn't very important, generally, for us regular folks (vs. elite athletes), but this is one case where it was for me, but more for satiation than performance.

YMMV.

Best wishes!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,683 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've read a bunch of people here say they wish they'd started strength training sooner during weight loss, and I can't remember ever reading a single one saying they wish they'd waited.

Furthermore, muscle mass is much easier/quicker to retain than it is to regain. Overweight people (perhaps surprisingly?) tend to have a bit more muscle mass than always-slimmer people of similar genetics and activity level, just from moving the extra weight around. Why not strength train during loss, and try to convince your body to keep as much of it as possible?

The worst that can happen is that you'll get stronger (useful) and look fitter (pretty cool) and keep existing muscle mass. The best that can happen is that as a beginner, you might even slowly gain some mass, even though that's generally challenging to do in a calorie deficit.

Useful info here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Best wishes!

This is something I have been wondering about, actually. I am very overweight and obviously have a high body fat percentage. But underneath that fat, particularly on my thighs, I have quite a lot of muscle. When I manage to lower my fat % to a healthy amount, these muscles would look kind of ridiculous. So I have wondered about doing strength training at this size if it would retain the size of my muscles when that's not really what I want to look like...or does it not work like that, and the muscles would shrink regardless??

Sorry if that is a stupid question!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Best wishes!

This is something I have been wondering about, actually. I am very overweight and obviously have a high body fat percentage. But underneath that fat, particularly on my thighs, I have quite a lot of muscle. When I manage to lower my fat % to a healthy amount, these muscles would look kind of ridiculous. So I have wondered about doing strength training at this size if it would retain the size of my muscles when that's not really what I want to look like...or does it not work like that, and the muscles would shrink regardless??

Perhaps you and I have a different aesthetic, or you simply have more muscle than I ever had, but I thought it was kind of gratifying to approach goal weight and discover that I had a bit of muscle lurking underneath the fat layer. ;)

That aside, I'd be surprised if you have and retain enough muscle that it will look distorted or disproportionate once you're at goal weight, unless your aesthetic preference is for *very* low musculature. Keep in mind there are potentially layers of various types of tissue adding up to your current perceived size. Maybe I'm wrong about the long term, though.

You would not add much muscle (if any) in a deficit by strength training. If you retain more than you find desirable, reducing your strength training once you approach goal would tend to gradually deplete it. Speaking as a li'l ol' lady, I'd encourage you to consider the benefits of *strength* life-long, and weigh that against aesthetics as you decide what to do.

If you're truly worried, you could focus strength training during weight loss on other body regions, though doing at least some leg work would be a good idea.

Best wishes!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Best wishes!

Perhaps you and I have a different aesthetic, or you simply have more muscle than I ever had, but I thought it was kind of gratifying to approach goal weight and discover that I had a bit of muscle lurking underneath the fat layer. ;)

That aside, I'd be surprised if you have and retain enough muscle that it will look distorted or disproportionate once you're at goal weight, unless your aesthetic preference is for *very* low musculature. Keep in mind there are potentially layers of various types of tissue adding up to your current perceived size. Maybe I'm wrong about the long term, though.

You would not add much muscle (if any) in a deficit by strength training. If you retain more than you find desirable, reducing your strength training once you approach goal would tend to gradually deplete it. Speaking as a li'l ol' lady, I'd encourage you to consider the benefits of *strength* life-long, and weigh that against aesthetics as you decide what to do.

If you're truly worried, you could focus strength training during weight loss on other body regions, though doing at least some leg work would be a good idea.

Best wishes!

If one thing is certain, most people overestimate the amount of muscle they have and underestimate fat. I thought once I got to 170, I would be lean as hell. I am in the mid 160s and I still have another 10lbs to go.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Best wishes!

I promise you, you don’t have as much muscle as you think you do. People with a lot of noticeable muscle have to put A LOT of effort into building and maintaining it. No one gets ridiculous muscles without doing the following:

A: counting and weighing foods
    B: being hyper focused on macros (getting enough protein to build those muscles)
    C: strength training
    D: PUSHING themselves to the limit during said strength training

If you didn’t do those things, it’s not going to be much muscle and it certainly won’t look bizarre once you lose the fat.

Many men would love it if it was as easy as you just made it sound to have large muscles.