Unsupportive Husband

13»

Replies

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2020
    Ok, I realize that I wasn't clear at all about what I said in my first post. I am allowing him to eat and make whatever he wants to eat, but I want to change my eating habits. But he wants me to eat what he eats which is unhealthy foods. I know that I don't have to switch to vegetarian to lose weight, I do know that losing weight is calories in calories out, but I do have my other reasons why switching is good for me.

It sounds to me like if he eats this stuff by himself, hes left to feel guilty about it by himself and he isnt ready to change yet.

You cant do anything about that. You can tell him that you support his decisions on what he eats, and that as an adult he can choose what he wants to eat, and as an adult you can choose what you wish to eat and would like the same support.

If he wont after that, then just leave him, eat what you want, and let him figure out his own issues.

This! I can totally see this. My father always feels pressured by my mother to eat more as she keeps suggesting and more food to him. Poor guy felt guilty for not saying yes as she is incredibly persistent.
    I explained it like this: She wants to eat something, but know she should not. However if she offers it to my dad (or me or anybody really) she feels she has licence to eat it too.
    Now my dad understands that dynamic he can respond much better and feels more in control of his food. As a result both dad and mum lost weight (which was a good thing)

So yes @KrissDotCom it may feel your husband is not supportive to you, but maybe the dynamic has more to do with him and resisting that what he knows that is needed than meets the eye. A different type of discussion is needed I think
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    This is just all sorts of messed up. Meal plan together, shop together and cook together. Otherwise, adults can fend for themselves. This is just basic cohabitation skills.

This reeks of a control issue. Perhaps counseling would be more use of your efforts right now.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. I recently decided to change my diet and I've already said more than once, during dinner planning or shopping when they're maybe going down a road I'm not interested in: "Don't worry about me, I'll fend for myself. I've got it."

It's not THEIR fault I decided to do my own thing, and we do still plan and eat lots of things together, sometimes with my portion being split apart before more ingredients added or I'll fix something for the house that we all can enjoy.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked at all of the "make two meals" comments. I'm assuming as he's a married man that he's an adult. If he doesn't like eating your food he doesn't have to. He knows where shops are and he knows what a kitchen is. If he can't cook YouTube has thousands and thousands of how to cook videos.

I know it can be hard standing up for yourself when you're not used to it but I would suggest clearly and calmly having a conversation and making it clear what your intentions are and that his choices are to eat what you're eating or to make his own food. Try to have the conversation away from meal times so he's got time to make changes if he needs to.

I cannot believe all the disagrees your reply has gotten. Men can cook for themselves. And as someone said, it's not 1950 anymore. When my dh and I decided to move back in together(we'd been separated for 12 years) one of the stipulations was I was not going to be in charge of serving him meals. I'd cook for him if there were certain things he'd like but this business of being expected to be THE cook, uhuh. He never starved in 12 years. Just my little rant about women in the kitchen. ;) Probably coming off sounding like a bi!@h but it's JMO.

I liked this. After last night when I cooked something he didn't like I'm going to let him deal with the cooking more I think.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    At this stage, reading your responses and his reasoning I suggest you just eat him, log it and move on.

LOL!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked at all of the "make two meals" comments. I'm assuming as he's a married man that he's an adult. If he doesn't like eating your food he doesn't have to. He knows where shops are and he knows what a kitchen is. If he can't cook YouTube has thousands and thousands of how to cook videos.

I know it can be hard standing up for yourself when you're not used to it but I would suggest clearly and calmly having a conversation and making it clear what your intentions are and that his choices are to eat what you're eating or to make his own food. Try to have the conversation away from meal times so he's got time to make changes if he needs to.

I cannot believe all the disagrees your reply has gotten. Men can cook for themselves. And as someone said, it's not 1950 anymore. When my dh and I decided to move back in together(we'd been separated for 12 years) one of the stipulations was I was not going to be in charge of serving him meals. I'd cook for him if there were certain things he'd like but this business of being expected to be THE cook, uhuh. He never starved in 12 years. Just my little rant about women in the kitchen. ;) Probably coming off sounding like a bi!@h but it's JMO.

It's OK. I was maybe a bit harsh in my wording.

Although it makes me really really appreciate my marriage.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    As others said, your post is not clear on what exactly he is protesting.

Speaking from experience, it is possible to change someone else’s eating habits with them resisting, but it takes time. In my case, like three years. My husband is (was) very much a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, but we started small. We always make our weekly meal plan and grocery shopping together, and cook together as well. First, it was just meatless Monday, and not even every week. We usually tried a new recipe every time, so eventually we had some good ones we both liked and started replacing some red meat regulars with those. Now, my husband observes meatless Monday independently even if I’m not home, and is known to cook tofu for a Friday night dinner with his guy friends. We still eat red meat occasionally, but it’s slowly been replaced by vegetarian options, chicken and fish. When we do have red meat, it’s usually in smaller quantities than before.

For the last 6 months we’ve been working on adding more veggies into meals to make them lighter and more nutritious. This process has been much faster than the shift from red meat towards vegetarianism, mostly because I found my secret weapon: agreeing to pretty much any recipe he suggests with ”ok, how do we add more veggies into that?”. He’s getting pretty good at it already, and it doesn’t feel like he’s being denied the foods he wants.

If his issue is with you cooking for both of you and he still wants to continue eating meat, I think you could start small with a new vegetarian recipe here and there, and gradually switching from red meat to more chicken and fish, and going from there. Alternatively, especially if he eats lunch at work, could you have a discussion with him about maybe he could eat his meat on meals that are not shared with you, and have more vegetarian meals with you? It’s not really about vegetarianism, but my husband and I have a pact that we indulge in the foods the other hates when they aren’t home or when we eat at restaurants. That way, the meals we share are something we both genuinely enjoy but neither one is deprived of the other things we like.

This just feels icky to me. There is a feel of manipulation here, I mean your "secret weapon".

I mean it sounds like he's changed on his own choice but the sense of devious Ness just feels wrong. Why can t you accept your husband as he is.

Perhaps you missed the OP's followup. It's the husband who's not willing to accept her as she is. She's fine with his eating what he wants, but he's not OK with her eating what she wants. He wants to eat what he eats.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    As others said, your post is not clear on what exactly he is protesting.

Speaking from experience, it is possible to change someone else’s eating habits with them resisting, but it takes time. In my case, like three years. My husband is (was) very much a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, but we started small. We always make our weekly meal plan and grocery shopping together, and cook together as well. First, it was just meatless Monday, and not even every week. We usually tried a new recipe every time, so eventually we had some good ones we both liked and started replacing some red meat regulars with those. Now, my husband observes meatless Monday independently even if I’m not home, and is known to cook tofu for a Friday night dinner with his guy friends. We still eat red meat occasionally, but it’s slowly been replaced by vegetarian options, chicken and fish. When we do have red meat, it’s usually in smaller quantities than before.

For the last 6 months we’ve been working on adding more veggies into meals to make them lighter and more nutritious. This process has been much faster than the shift from red meat towards vegetarianism, mostly because I found my secret weapon: agreeing to pretty much any recipe he suggests with ”ok, how do we add more veggies into that?”. He’s getting pretty good at it already, and it doesn’t feel like he’s being denied the foods he wants.

If his issue is with you cooking for both of you and he still wants to continue eating meat, I think you could start small with a new vegetarian recipe here and there, and gradually switching from red meat to more chicken and fish, and going from there. Alternatively, especially if he eats lunch at work, could you have a discussion with him about maybe he could eat his meat on meals that are not shared with you, and have more vegetarian meals with you? It’s not really about vegetarianism, but my husband and I have a pact that we indulge in the foods the other hates when they aren’t home or when we eat at restaurants. That way, the meals we share are something we both genuinely enjoy but neither one is deprived of the other things we like.

This just feels icky to me. There is a feel of manipulation here, I mean your "secret weapon".

I mean it sounds like he's changed on his own choice but the sense of devious Ness just feels wrong. Why can t you accept your husband as he is.

Perhaps you missed the OP's followup. It's the husband who's not willing to accept her as she is. She's fine with his eating what he wants, but he's not OK with her eating what she wants. He wants to eat what he eats.

Yeh, as much as I'd rather my dh eat what I eat to support MY healthy food struggles, it's unreasonable for me to think he'd happily switch. Because of his choices, we end up having more of certain foods in the house and it's incredibly difficult to resist temptation. But that's on me entirely, not him. He's certainly allowed bread, hamburgers, cheese, cookies and other snack foods. It's my own fault I cannot deal with them being in the house. :/ Ideally, I'd love for him and I to plan and cook healthy meals together but he has no desire whatsoever.
    If that's the OP's case, then OP just needs to tell him he can eat his choices, she can eat her choices, and will need to find support somewhere else. As for her SO un-supportive ways, there's a major difference between if he's forcing her to eat the junk, getting angry at her about it, teasing her about it, being belittling(or anything like that) or simply un-supportive. OP, have a heart to heart conversation with SO and tell him of your struggles but do keep in mind, many SO's aren't that supportive because they don't have the desire to change, don't understand the need to change, and/or like things just the way they are. I've got a SO pretty much like that. :(
    Also another thought, if this is still relatively new to the both of you(your healthier eating) then maybe he's taking time to shift his thinking, testing your resolve, and challenging your commitment. If he's wanting to see you fail, then he'll feel validation if you do. :( But you cannot expect him to change; you can only change yourself.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    One question was posed up-thread and I don't think I saw it answered -- is the unsupportive husband objecting to the wife eating differently or to the wife preparing her own meals *instead* of his?

There's a difference between wanting to be served and wanting to control someone else's intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    One question was posed up-thread and I don't think I saw it answered -- is the unsupportive husband objecting to the wife eating differently or to the wife preparing her own meals *instead* of his?

There's a difference between wanting to be served and wanting to control someone else's intake.

He wants her to eat what he is eating. There is no indication that she has stopped cooking for him or is unwilling to prepare the foods that he likes to eat.