Calorie Counter

Message Boards Chit-Chat
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What book are you reading?

Replies

• RastaLousGirlRastaLousGirl Member Posts: 2,015 Member Member Posts: 2,015 Member
    The Son of Neptune
  • 4legsRbetterthan24legsRbetterthan2 Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,094 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 18,094 MFP Moderator
    Still reading a lot of technical documentation for work that goes into my personal reading time.

Slow reading my way through "Living Terrors: What America Needs to Know to Survive the Coming Bioterrorist Catastrophe"

Oh man, interesting pick. How are you liking it so far?
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxXXxFunctionalStrengthxX Member, Premium Posts: 2,286 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,286 Member
    Still reading a lot of technical documentation for work that goes into my personal reading time.

Slow reading my way through "Living Terrors: What America Needs to Know to Survive the Coming Bioterrorist Catastrophe"

Oh man, interesting pick. How are you liking it so far?

Overall, it's good. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Informative, yet easy to understand. Might be somewhat grim for people to read. But, due to previous work, it's an interest of mine.

It's also a little dated, in that it was published 2007. But, still relevant. I do have his other book "Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs" which came out in 2017. Though, haven't read it yet. We'll see if I read it immediately following, or take a break and read something a little lighter in between.
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 916 Member Member Posts: 916 Member
    Would you rather read as an escape from the drama of our present situation? Or do you like analyzing everything and searching for what all this might mean for humanity? How will our civilizations be altered? Well, this novel will hèlp you to do a bit of both! It's thought provoking, but hilarious. I'm doing a quick reread!

goy01qj8m9in.jpg
  • cowbellsandcoffeecowbellsandcoffee Member Posts: 2,968 Member Member Posts: 2,968 Member
    Just finished.

1oh2m0mzpx3k.jpeg
    edited July 16
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Member, Premium Posts: 2,024 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,024 Member
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler
  • kosseychickkosseychick Member Posts: 229 Member Member Posts: 229 Member
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller... one of my favorites
  • northviewvintagenorthviewvintage Member Posts: 916 Member Member Posts: 916 Member
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller... one of my favorites

That is, hand down, the best book to read right now. Especially for people being forced to work out in the public..I think it was controversial, at the time, how he could possibly value his own life over the cause or his allegience to his country or whatever. I don't want to give out any spoilers. :smiley: (by the way, I love your hair!!!!)
    edited July 17
  • kosseychickkosseychick Member Posts: 229 Member Member Posts: 229 Member
    @northviewvintage awe thank you very much!😊.. and I agree about it being a great book for the times! I highly recommend it!💕
  • tuddy315tuddy315 Member Posts: 7,663 Member Member Posts: 7,663 Member
    The Athlete Inside by Sue Reynolds.....she is a MFP member. If anyone knows her username, could I please have it?
  • lyo4malyo4ma Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    The Second Mountain by David Brooks
    I Shock Myself: The Autobiography of Beatrice Wood
    by Beatrice Wood
    4.18 · Rating details · 186 ratings · 29 reviews
    One of America's acclaimed ceramicists, Beatrice Wood shares the intriguing details of her unconventional life in 'I Shock Myself'. With candour and insight, she recollects nearly ten decades of world-shaking events, heart breaking romances, and artistic achievement.
    GET A COPY

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/223850.I_Shock_Myself
    edited July 23
  • cowbellsandcoffeecowbellsandcoffee Member Posts: 2,968 Member Member Posts: 2,968 Member
  • soraurensorauren Member Posts: 247 Member Member Posts: 247 Member
    Daisy Jones and the Six. Loving it.
  • slessofmeslessofme Member Posts: 6,816 Member Member Posts: 6,816 Member
  • Slacker16Slacker16 Member Posts: 1,073 Member Member Posts: 1,073 Member
    Pompeii, the life of a Roman Town, by Mary Beard. About halfway through and loving it, very engaging and accessible, and I love that it focuses on the everyday life of regular people.

Relics, by Tim Lebbon. Barely started it so no opinion to give.
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 6,267 Member Member Posts: 6,267 Member
    Mornings on Horseback

wqnbvhbqwquf.png

• ashtonmcguire2702ashtonmcguire2702 Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    Currently reading Been Shapiros How To Destroy America In Three Easy Steps.

I listen to his podcast a lot recently and decided to give it a shot. Now to far into it ( I have a 5 year old son, that needs my attention. 😜) But so o far I'm enjoying it.
  • melaniedscottmelaniedscott Member Posts: 455 Member Member Posts: 455 Member
    Martin Caidin's 1968 The God Machine.

I don't recommend it. It isn't terrible...It is sci-fi ish--focused on the creation of a massive AI that (probably, hasn't happened yet) will decide humanity must die. Or at least the chauvanists who created it... I think Caidin was aiming for high brow technological thriller?

On par for 60's sci fi. I think The Coming of the Quantum Cat (which I read because of the title) was more entertaining but also more ridiculous.
  • iMagoiMago Member Posts: 7,498 Member Member Posts: 7,498 Member