Pls recommend your at home strength training app/program!

Options
Hello, new here. I ride an exercise bike (peloton app) and walk a lot but need to build strength. I've done a few random classes here and there that are full body workouts with light weights or body weight but I would like a progressive program that is designed to increase strength, preferably one that does not require much beyond handweights (I have a variety from 3 to 15 lbs). My goal is build strength, muscle, improve posture, prevent osteoporosis, etc.

Would love people's input, thank you!

(fwiw I'm 49 and while i have always exercised, its been forms of cardio and yoga, and occasional body pump class at the gym).

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I do a number of things. I do My Peak Challenge and DDPY yoga for at home work outs. DDPY requires a mat (a rug will do if that's all you have) and a yoga block is helpful. I highly recommend both programs.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Not sure how easy it would be to build muscle if the highest weights you have are 15lb...

I do an upper/lower split primarily compound exercises 4 days a week, but I have a full gym in my basement that has primarily commercial equipment in it. For example, I am currently doing 180lb leg press on lower day along with squats, deadlifts, and ab exercises. Upper day is bench press (only 50lbs sadly), incline bench press (even sadder at 30-40lbs), lat pulldown (90lbs) and row (100lbs)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    slunburg wrote: »
    Not sure how easy it would be to build muscle if the highest weights you have are 15lb...

I do an upper/lower split primarily compound exercises 4 days a week, but I have a full gym in my basement that has primarily commercial equipment in it. For example, I am currently doing 180lb leg press on lower day along with squats, deadlifts, and ab exercises. Upper day is bench press (only 50lbs sadly), incline bench press (even sadder at 30-40lbs), lat pulldown (90lbs) and row (100lbs)

Muscle can definitely be built with body weight.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Muscle can definitely be built with body weight.

Minimally, sure. I’m not saying you need to lift a ton; and it depends on goals. If you only do body weight though, you can’t increase the weight. I’m not a fan of the body weight method, but whatever works for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    There's a whole list of strength programs here that others have found helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Despite the title, it includes some beginner bodyweight programs that can be done at home with minimal/no equipment. Generally, a well-designed progressive program like those will be more effective as a starting point than what some random other internet idiot like me might do herself ;) .

Bodyweight programs - though it may be surprising - can be progressive, at least for a time. There are various versions of the exercises that increase the strength challenge along the way to create progression, through the magic of applied physics. You may top out on progress for some body parts - probably will eventually - but these can be a good starting point for many people.

I'd also observe that although certain combinations of repetitions and resistance may be optimal for certain kinds of progress (i.e., strength, mass, endurance, whatever), you can to some extent use volume to create useful increased challenge, when using increased resistance isn't an option. More clearly: Light dumbbells may not be ideal long term, but for a while you can make some progress by increasing reps/sets at the same weight, even though it may not be the absolute most perfect route to choose if all routes were equally practical and available to you. No need to let the perfect be the enemy of progress. ;)

Best wishes!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I follow Sydney Cummings on YouTube. New workout uploaded every day at 5am. Workouts range from 30-60 min, full body, upper push, upper pull, legs, glutes abs, cardio, agility, sometimes power yoga/pilates...she covers it all.
  • mizzpfft
    mizzpfft Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for these suggestions! Given my current level of strength I am pretty sure bodyweight and light dumbbells will be sufficient for a long time--mostly I just need to follow a basic "here, do these squats, now the lunges, now the upper body, etc". I am like a sheep, I will do it if I can follow someone, but on my own....

I am going to check out convict fitness, if only for the fact that it seems appropriate for our quarantine-like lifestyle at the moment--but definitely am better off to start if there's someone coaching me!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    That's why I like Sydney so much. She tells you exactly what to do and how to do it. She does the workout with you, just follow her lead. She has a very balanced program. And she only uses dumbbells, body weight, and sometimes a glute resistance band(optional).
  • Randolfmfp
    Randolfmfp Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm currently do Shaun T's T25 workout DVDs. 25 minutes of nonstop work 5 days a week. I'm about to start week 5 of the 10 week program and already seeing results and feel great about myself for sticking to it 😊.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    T25 is more cardio, unless you also do beta and gamma...and those DVD sets are very expensive.
  • sandymram
    sandymram Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since you are familiar with Peleton, the app has strength classes too. I don’t have the bike or tread but I use my own treadmill and do their 60 minute boot camp classes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I'm a total fan of the Reddit recommended routine. It's progressive and not aimed at some odd targets like handstand pushups (convict conditioning goes a bit in that direction). Plus there's a very supportive community.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Check out Jessica Smith's 6 Week Total Transformation. She uses handweights, lots of reps and is easy to modify. I can now put my kayak on the top of my car by myself.
  • Oneka5
    Oneka5 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like programs because it provides a bit of structure for me. Fit body boot camp has a 28 day at home workout. You have access to quite a lot of videos to work out to every day. After finishing that I have started Heather Robertson's 12 week program on youtube. Includes strength and cardio/HIIT
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Millionaire Hoy also has a beginner program on his YouTube channel.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Minimally, sure. I’m not saying you need to lift a ton; and it depends on goals. If you only do body weight though, you can’t increase the weight. I’m not a fan of the body weight method, but whatever works for you.

Convict fitness is strictly progressive body weight exercises and builds some serious muscle.

I guess you don’t watch those prison shows then. Prisons have weight sets in the yard and prisoners come up with ingenuous ways to create their own weights to use in their cells. Sorry but I watch a bunch of those on tv, so I know they DO have weights. Nice try though!

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I program myself currently and wouldn't be appropriate for your level.

Since you are novel to strength training, any cookie cutter program will give you results. Find one you can adhere to with the equipment you have access to.

Move on to more advanced training when the volume isn't enough to produce progress or recovery is disrupted by the intensity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Convict fitness is strictly progressive body weight exercises and builds some serious muscle.

I guess you don’t watch those prison shows then. Prisons have weight sets in the yard and prisoners come up with ingenuous ways to create their own weights to use in their cells. Sorry but I watch a bunch of those on tv, so I know they DO have weights. Nice try though!

"Convict Conditioning" is the formal name of well-known bodyweight conditioning method, as described in a book of the same title. It's designed to be done in relatively small space, with little or no equipment. I'm quite sure this program/book is what people are referring to, in posts above.

Whether or how well it works has little to do with whether lots of people in prisons do it, or not . . . or whether it appears on TV prison shows. It's a marketing-oriented name, like most programs use. 🙄

ETA: Author does claim to have developed the program while in prison. Functionally, he appears to be very strong. IMO, he is quite defined, but not all that massive, as far as one can see from photo/video.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like the Fit Father Project. There is a Fit Mother Project that is probably good too run by the same people. Maybe give that a shot.