No-Cook / No Kitchen Recipes

EarthyEm
EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
Hello!

I'm subleasing for the next month a really cute place that doesn't have a kitchen. There's a mini-fridge & electric kettle. I can rinse fruit and veg in the bathroom sink, but that sink isn't really set up for kitchen level usage.

So far, sandwiches, salads and yogurt in paper bowls w/ compostable forks has been my jam.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Mini-fridge screams Special K diet to me. It's where two of your meals are healthy cereal and semi skimmed milk, and one of your meals is a proper balanced one (so it could be a really hearty salad).

I did this when I was younger and the weight fell off. I think you're only supposed to do it for a max of 14 days though...

Some of the pasta pots you can buy these days (where you add boiling water and stir) have surprisingly good macros. It's worth taking a closer look in your supermarket to see what options you have.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Google "college dorm cooking". If you add a filter coffee machine to your set of tools, there are a lot of things you can make in that appliance such as pasta and boiled eggs. Also you can wrap cheese sandwiches in foil and grill them using an iron.

For instant ramen, the type made with rice or bean noodles are lower calorie than the ones with wheat noodles. The wheat noodles need to be fried to make them instant which is not the case with the bean or rice noodles.
  • acpgee
    I see you can heat up tins of soup in the electric kettle. Buy soups with pull top openings and put the whole sealed tin in the hot water.

http://theglobalgadabout.com/2018/08/06/kettle-cooking-5-delicious-cheap-hot-meals-that-only-require-boiling-water-2/
  • acpgee
    This has been looking for these. Fun if you are travelling on a tight budget and need to make food in a hotel room.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUfjOIprcOE
  • acpgee
    Thanks OP. This has been fun, and I will use some of these tips for grabbing a quick bite in a hotel room. The hubby sleeps in longer than me, and I am often awake and hungry for an hour or two while I wait for him to wake up to hit the hotel breakfast buffet.

With the electric kettle you can make instant cous cous, cup a soup, instant oatmeal, and some of those instant pot noodles. You can also hardboil eggs in the electric kettle. If you warm up tinned stews or curries in your electric kettle you could have that on the cous cous.

With a filter coffee maker I would probably make instant ramen, with a handful of spinach or watercress thrown in and maybe a beaten egg stirred in (like Chinese egg drop soups). I would use the coffee maker for poaching hot dogs, steaming veggies and probably quick cook maccaroni to eat with store bought sauce, such as pesto.
  • acpgee
    And don't forget crackers or raw veg dipped in store bought dips and spreads such as hummus, tzaziki, guacamole, taramasalata, salsa.
  • amieelizabeth82
    amieelizabeth82 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi. Could you buy a cheap or second hand microwave? I would probably live off cous cous or oats lol. Anything packet related like instant mug noodles. If you get a toaster you could make toasties? The boiled egg in a kettle sounds genius.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    I've learned about cooking in a hotel room out of necessity. First thing I bought was an electric skillet. Second was a countertop oven. Both were a lifesaver! Plus the hotel had a microwave. I'm not sure if you have a microwave or not. Hold on, let me get some ideas together.
  • ebrookes73
    ebrookes73 Posts: 18 Member
    My suggestion would be antipasti platters, constructed out of whatever your preferences and budget allow.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Vdubz27 wrote: »
    I love doing a mix of cottage cheese, veggies, crackers and dips!

igckqozctiql.jpeg

This looks delicious! Is that everything bagel seasoning? 😋
  • EarthyEm
    EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you everyone!