Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Heretic Asks - How to stop logging and keep your goal weight

2»

Replies

• jacqQ2017jacqQ2017 Member Posts: 222 Member Member Posts: 222 Member
    I agree that it does take time, especially with little ones who are served first and finished first, sometimes before I'm sat down ! I've considered maybe next year, when hopefully everything is a bit more normal and I'm hitting the gym regularly, assuming I'm where I want to be that perhaps I could start off logging every other day. It's easy to get complacent. If my weight remains stable then maybe I could reduce logging days, but like you I neither want to regain because I've taken my eye off the ball, nor spend my entire life weighing stuff and logging it. I have long-term issues but I haven't always been overweight, so I'm hoping that I won't be here forever!
  • sofrancessofrances Member, Premium Posts: 120 Member Member, Premium Posts: 120 Member
    Have you considered logging for a while in maintenance? Just to get a feeling for what your maintenance calories look and "feel" like? After a couple of months (3 to 6 maybe), you could try a month without logging, but be honest with yourself if your weight starts trending up, and be prepared to go back to logging.

Personally, I have abandoned the idea of intuitive eating etc. If I had the right intuition, I wouldn't be here in the first place, and given that my weight loss has been motivated by health concern I'm willing to accept some inconvenience if it works long term. But that's just me. If you can make it work, good for you.
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Member Posts: 5,619 Member Member Posts: 5,619 Member
    It can be done, but I wouldn’t want to do it on a diet which regularly incorporates random amounts of salami and olives! It’s just too tempting to let those high-density foods creep up to twice the amount, and before you know it, you’re eating 500 calories more than you thought you were.

My suggestion would be to simplify your logging. Weigh only the foods like nut butter, cheese, and salami which are high in calories, and learn to eyeball everything else. Make good guesses. If you don’t log, weigh yourself daily so you know when you are going astray and can go back to logging until you’re under control again.