Quality vs. Quantity of Calories Burned

Options
So since COVID began, I haven't been doing my usual workouts of Bodypump, Zumba, Step Aerobics, and other strength training. All I've been able to do is walking 4 miles, 4-5 times a week.

Considering the heat index outside, I typically burn 1000 calories or more when walking (which is around the same amount I'd burn doing my usual workouts mentioned above). But it still doesn't seem to be enough, as the scale slowly continues to go up. Sometimes I think maybe it's the muscle that building in my legs from all the consistent walking that's causing the scale to go up, but I feel and look "fatter."

My eating is pretty much the exact same as it was when I was going to the gym.

My question is: Even though I'm still burning a significant amount of calories by walking, could my body be missing the variety of workouts it was used to getting, therefore causing my weight loss to occur much slower or even non-existent?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. Type of workout has nothing to do with the number on the scale, although sore muscles can hold water (this is temporary). Type of workout is important for fitness goals and body composition.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I walk 3.3 miles/day most days. It takes me about 70 minutes so that is about 3.5 mph. According to MFP that is a calorie burn of around 330 calories. If I walked 4 miles in one hour (4 mph) I'd burn about 440 calories.

Although more intense (faster, harder, etc.) exercise will burn more calories in a given time span than a less rigorous workout, the body doesn't care how the calories are burned. To lose weight one must burn more calories than they eat. If the scale goes up one must move more or eat less or a combination of the two.
    Eat Less
    Eat Better
    Move More
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The same amount of time doing Zumba and walking will involve more calories spent while doing Zumba.

A longer walk could compensate for less calories per minute

With lower calories per minute activities you have to differentiate between net and gross activity calories.

MFP, depending on your activity setting, already assigns a number of calories to your every minute. At least 1.25*BMR calories.

Taking gross calories and subtracting at least 1.25*BMR will start getting us into net activity calorie territory when it comes to MFP

Heat can play a number on heart rate changing the apparent but not screen burn off starting a hr based tracker. So can weight gain.

1000 Cal per 4 miles does sound a bit high. Have a look here to validate:
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Heat can play a number on heart rate changing the apparent but not screen burn off starting a hr based tracker.

Translating for Google's transcription: Heat can play a number on heart rate changing the apparent (but not actual) burn when using HR based tracking.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How exactly are you coming to that 1000 calorie burn for 4 miles? What's your height, weight, and age? I'm generally the last one to suspect inflated calorie burns, so if I'm suggesting it, it's quite a likely possibility ;)

Height: 5'2
    Weight: 186
    Age: 38 BUT...I'm currently on some medication (cancer survivor) that puts me in a menopausal state

I do use a Heart Rate Monitor
  • brandigyrl81
    Options
    I'd have to know your height/weight/sex to know for sure, but that calorie burn is likely incorrect by a large order of magnitude.

For reference - and based on several years now of maintenance using my numbers - walking 4 miles would burn maaaaybe 250-300 cals for me, 5'5 135 woman of 43. Also, I'd sweat more if it was hotter but that doesn't necessarily translate into a higher burn.

Female
    Height: 5'2
    Weight: 186
    Age: 38 BUT...I'm currently on some medication (cancer survivor) that puts me in a menopausal state

I do use a Heart Rate Monitor

• brandigyrl81
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    All I've been able to do is walking 4 miles, 4-5 times a week.

Considering the heat index outside, I typically burn 1000 calories or more when walking

The way you phrased that - you are using a HRM to estimate calories?
    Your HR is much higher than normal because of the heat index?
    It reports a higher calorie burn.

Inflated calorie burn though - and you hit one of the caveats to a HR-based calorie burn.
    Higher HR based not on harder effort and more work being done which actually burns more calories - but higher HR for any number of reasons - this one body trying to stay cool.

Yes, I use a HRM
    Yes, my HR is much higher due to the heat. Back in the spring, I was burning about 600 doing 4 miles.

So are you saying that my heart rate is higher due to my body trying to stay cool, and I'm not actually burning more calories?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Bodypump, Zumba, and Step Aerobics will generally burn more calories per min/hour than walking. I think you are getting exaggerated calorie burns based on HR. Heat index does not increase calorie burn, but it does make the exercise feel harder. If your weight is creeping up and you geel/look fatter, you may be. You will not be building muscle by walking if your body was already used to more vigorous cardio as well as strength training. Since you are only walking, your best bet is to recalculate your cico and reduce your calorie intake.
  • brandigyrl81
    Options
    Heat can play a number on heart rate changing the apparent but not screen burn off starting a hr based tracker.

Translating for Google's transcription: Heat can play a number on heart rate changing the apparent (but not actual) burn when using HR based tracking.

I feel like this explanation explains everything.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So since COVID began, I haven't been doing my usual workouts of Bodypump, Zumba, Step Aerobics, and other strength training. All I've been able to do is walking 4 miles, 4-5 times a week.

Considering the heat index outside, I typically burn 1000 calories or more when walking (which is around the same amount I'd burn doing my usual workouts mentioned above). But it still doesn't seem to be enough, as the scale slowly continues to go up. Sometimes I think maybe it's the muscle that building in my legs from all the consistent walking that's causing the scale to go up, but I feel and look "fatter."

My eating is pretty much the exact same as it was when I was going to the gym.

My question is: Even though I'm still burning a significant amount of calories by walking, could my body be missing the variety of workouts it was used to getting, therefore causing my weight loss to occur much slower or even non-existent?

I suspect that your device is overestimating your calorie burn. It would be very very very abnormal to burn 1000 calories for only 4 miles -- some reputable calculators put that *run* burn at 500ish calories for someone of your weight. So you're definitely not hitting 1000 calories in 4 miles.

And if you're overestimating your burn, and eating all of that, that's why you're gaining weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Considering the heat index outside, I typically burn 1000 calories or more when walking

Inflated calorie burn though - and you hit one of the caveats to a HR-based calorie burn.
    Higher HR based not on harder effort and more work being done which actually burns more calories - but higher HR for any number of reasons - this one body trying to stay cool.

Yes, I use a HRM
    Yes, my HR is much higher due to the heat. Back in the spring, I was burning about 600 doing 4 miles.

So are you saying that my heart rate is higher due to my body trying to stay cool, and I'm not actually burning more calories?

Correct. Your perceived rate of exertion may be more, and you may be sweating more, but your activity is not burning more calories.
  • brandigyrl81
    Options

Yes, I use a HRM

Correct. Your perceived rate of exertion may be more, and you may be sweating more, but your activity is not burning more calories.

It all makes sense now.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well y'all. I feel like I've pretty much been wasting my time, now that it's been revealed that I haven't been burning that many calories. All this time I'm thinking I'm really working hard out in this heat, only to find that I'm burning only about 300-400 calories.

At least it all makes sense now as to why my weight is slowly creeping up.

If it makes you feel any better, I think I'm having the same problem with my fitbit. Using the calculator here suggests my fitbit over estimated my walk today by about 200cals, although the calc doesn't know how many hills I walked up, it's unlikely that it would add that much more.

Perhaps I need to unlink my fitbit, I thought it was going to make my calorie tracking more efficient, not less...

On the plus side, now we know, we have a chance at better progress!