Eliminating certain foods

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I know there's been discussions before about this kind of topic; CICO are all that counts, you can include all foods within your calorie allotment, etc. BUT what about our foods that seem to be triggers for us and we consistently exceed CI?

Is it better and feasible to simply not buy them at all? Personally, once I start eating certain foods, it triggers more cravings and desires, less resistance to temptation. And I'm just wondering if keeping them out of the house would be the key for me. I know *I* cannot keep some foods or else they're guaranteed eaten before the day is out. :(

I also firmly believe 'if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten' so am thinking of changing my approach to this by removing as many trigger foods as I can. On this topic, I wish my dh was more supportive but he likes what he likes and I'm not going to ask him to give up those foods. I'll simply try to find substitutes for them that will work for me.

Will I end up feeling deprived and binge eat? That's my biggest fear. But truthfully, that's what I've been doing for the past 6 weeks or so anyways. :(

My habits are so deep it's more of a rut than anything. For ex., every morning I have to have my a.m. coffee. I don't even really like the taste of coffee so it doesn't make sense to me but without it, I feel I haven't started my day, can't wake up, feel something's out of whack, KWIM? Along with the coffee I take milk/sugar and then soon feel the *need* to eat something. :/ I need to look long and hard at what or how I can shake my routine up with destroying my good intentions.

I do not have a healthy relationship with food. :( It's either all or nothing with me.
Thanks for any insight you can offer. :)

Replies

• Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 176 Member
    I had food triggers but I found CBT really helped me and now I can have anything and not over-indulge unless it purposeful. Worth a try

I agree - understanding the root of your relationship issues with food is key, then finding strategies to help you reach your goals is very helpful. Cognitive behavioural therapy can be highly useful!

I do what you do as well and don’t go down the aisles in the shops where I know there are trigger foods - and if I’m preparing foods for others in my family that I know are triggers or I’m in a state of mind where I may have a lack of discipline, I say something to someone and ask them to be present to distract me from the food desire.

Don’t be afraid to ask your peeps to support your goals and give you something you need. DH can have the chips - he just may need to get them from the cupboard himself. ;)

Wishing you all the best as you continue to navigate and establish your new normal!! <3
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2020
    The biggest issue for me has always been soda. For a long time, I wouldn't let myself buy it at the grocery to put in the fridge. I would have to walk out of the house to the 7/11 a block away to get it. Eventually I started getting the 7oz cans instead and only keeping one in the fridge. There is value in conquering your trigger foods.

Tab was my addiction for many years. Then Diet Coke was like crack to me; I'd drink it all the time. But for some reason I was able to stop buying it altogether after 40+ years of drinking diet sodas and that was that. I have no idea how it happened. I wouldn't even let myself be tempted by the 'just this one time' devil on my shoulder. It's more challenging now, though, since dh moved back home because he still drinks it. And wow, I salivate when the weather turns hot(today they expect 100*) and all I can think about when I see it in the fridge, is the ice cold fizziness. :) But if I could convince myself to do the same with any of my trigger foods, I'd be happy. :(

Thank you for all the insightful and helpful replies everyone!! I have *got* to change my approach to food and my mindset, that's all there is to it. Easy, right? :blush:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    I am not generally an all or nothing person any more, though I used to be. I don't tell myself that if I don't eat perfectly I can now eat everything in sight. I can eat one cookie and put the rest away. I can measure out a cup of ice cream, rather than filling the bowl full. I'll count out a serving of crackers rather than eating the whole box. When I can I buy single serving or small servings of foods - so a slice of pie or a single cinnamon roll or muffin, not a whole pie or box of muffins. However, there are certain foods that are harder to regulate and that I don't really want or need - like potato chips or French fries, etc. I rarely buy them now. I love nuts, but don't keep them in the house because I can't eat just a few. Although I don't have 'forbidden foods', I do think about whether the value of a food is worth the calories involved. If you know that a food is a trigger for you, then keep it out of the house. If your husband wants it, ask him to eat it at work, rather than at home.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 197 Member
    I have eliminated potato chips. If i ate potato chips in portions allowable in my intake, I would still lose weight. But I cannot do this unless I don't eat anything else (ie I am unable to stop at the appropriate time). So they had to go. I find I don't feel deprived if I don't eat them, but if I eat a small amount I feel very deprived because I want to eat ALL. THE. AMOUNTS! I've switched to popcorn because it's salty and I'm able to stop at my allotted portion. Most times.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I definitely have some foods that need to be bought in single servings only and/or not brought home. I'll have an ice cream cone while out riding (but don't have any at home)(FYI- I have about 130 local-ish ice cream stands tagged in google maps for ease of this). The quick-riding/running fuel items (Mini Clif Bars and fruit snacks) and post-ride snacks (for myself and to share in the parking lot after the ride..most commonly salt & vinegar pork rinds) reside in the car (they would have to be taken down to it anyway if I kept most upstairs). Stuff I can't get in single servings, I'll sometimes buy for potlucks/post-ride/run-group snacks/dance event snack table. Some other stuff I only eat when at a pub with the group after the group run/ride.
  • ritzvin
    The biggest issue for me has always been soda. For a long time, I wouldn't let myself buy it at the grocery to put in the fridge. I would have to walk out of the house to the 7/11 a block away to get it. Eventually I started getting the 7oz cans instead and only keeping one in the fridge. There is value in conquering your trigger foods.

Diet soda is actually something I've been buying more...it distracts me away from potential excess snacking if in a group situation surrounded by all the tasty things.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited July 2020
    It can be wise to avoid 'triggers' or only allow them in controlled circumstances. Twizzler Nibs: I do not buy because they come in multi-serving bags and I am very likely to eat the whole bag. I wish it came in mini packs! And 10 minutes after the bag is empty I know I'll have that 'I ate too much candy' sick to my stomach feeling. But while I'm eating them, I feel fine and 'just a few more' repeats over & over again. Other candies: do not have this same impact on me. I bought a bag of Skittles recently (one meant for 'sharing') and ate it 75-100 cals at a time over the course of a week approximately.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Ps-changing habits in little ways can be effective.

Week days I'm out of the house early and used to graze for breakfast. A little bit of food every 60-90 minutes. It adds up. Now when I get to the office I do a 15-20 minute walk and drink 2-3 cups of water. That holds me for a bit, somehow the combo of activity & water: I'm not hungry right away. I gain that time because traffic is lighter with school being out. I could sleep longer, leave the house later: but figure it is best to still wake up, leave at my normal time.
  • ritzvin
    Twizzlers are one of mine too. and peanut butter. and nuts.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'd say never say never. You can cut down on how often you eat certain things without eliminating them completely.

For instance, I had to switch from rice or pasta and meat for dinner to vegetables and meat while I'm losing weight. I miss my starches very much but I like big meals and, I cannot lie, there was no way I could fit an 800-900 calorie dinner into a caloric deficit without being starving and unhappy the rest of the day.

But that's not to say I can't cook a pot of rice every now and then when I really feel like it...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Have you tried starting your day with a morning tea ritual? It makes me sad that you don't even really like the taste of coffee but feel you have to have it. There are so many varieties of tea.... maybe you'll find one you really like or the variety itself will be satisfying to you?

I have a couple friends who for various reasons had to stop coffee and they switch to tea (hot and cold) and enjoyed it just as much. I love coffee and it suppresses appetite for me. I often feel hungry when doing morning cardio but after a couple cups of coffee, I'm fine delaying my first meal several hours. If it somehow stimulates your appetite, maybe switching to tea would kill 2 birds with one stone?

I'm like the others in that I can moderate myself with some foods better than with others, and there are some foods it's just better not to keep at home. It's a good strategy, and I don't feel deprived. I still enjoy those foods, just not in large uncontrolled quantities at home.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Snacking at home was never my issue, instead snacking at work was, so I had to learn to deal with it being around.

That said, if you think it would help to eliminate foods (I did that for a while) and not buy them, try that. No harm from trying it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I definitely have some foods that need to be bought in single servings only and/or not brought home. I'll have an ice cream cone while out riding (but don't have any at home)(FYI- I have about 130 local-ish ice cream stands tagged in google maps for ease of this). The quick-riding/running fuel items (Mini Clif Bars and fruit snacks) and post-ride snacks (for myself and to share in the parking lot after the ride..most commonly salt & vinegar pork rinds) reside in the car (they would have to be taken down to it anyway if I kept most upstairs). Stuff I can't get in single servings, I'll sometimes buy for potlucks/post-ride/run-group snacks/dance event snack table. Some other stuff I only eat when at a pub with the group after the group run/ride.

Oh, yeah - that potluck/group one is a good one. (I forgot about it because it's been so long since pre-corona potlucks . . . . :neutral: ).

I've done that with salted macadamia nuts, or a fancied-up focaccia bread (with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, olive oil :yum: ) that a local artisan baker makes or some richer home-made foods that either don't freeze well or that I'd struggle to moderate (filo cheese pie with rosemary, for one, and there's this amazing fresh raspberry marzipan cake . . . !).

Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. :grimace: