Anyone just do Walking for Exercise

I'm looking for friends that do Walking for Exercise, I myself Walk from 6:15am-7:30am Everyday and I can tell you when I don't Exercise I can feel it. I've started to change how I eat and have not had a Soda in 2 days just been drinking Water with Flavoring thats Sugar Free and Low in calories.
My goal is to lose around 50-70 pounds and I know I can do it I've lost 65 before but dealt with alot of stressful situations the last 2 years and it took a toll on me. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    That’s all I’ve been doing for the past 6 weeks. I downloaded the Nike Run app and my coworker creates challenges for us, to keep us going. Download the app. You will love it.
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    If you download it, send me your email and I will add you. We can create challenges to keep each other going.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Yep. I might do a small jogging portion, but it's walking everyday. Just getting to work and working is a lot of walking and then on weekends I go out and do an 1hr and a half ish walk Sat and Sun, not a stroll but a purposeful pace. I've lost 56lb since Sept. 41lb of that just since Feb where I started logging with MFP and tracking my walking with a Fitbit.

I do do some aerobics and strength training at home but the bulk of my cardio burn is good ole fashion walking.
  • Danisha43
    Danisha43 Posts: 26 Member
    Hello! I'm just walking and using my Fitbit for counting steps. Walking I walk with Leslie Samson 20 min or 30 min walk on YouTube sometimes I might get on my treadmill. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm a walker. I started, again, in December, when yet another diagnosis of a chronic illness pretty much knocked me on my can. I was 70 pounds over my fighting weight, and it was obvious that losing a grunch of fat would improve my health, perhaps even eliminate the need for some of the medications I take each day.

I started with 30 minutes/day, but weather kept me from walking many days. I bought a treadmill for $20, repaired it, and really got in the habit. When weather improved I extended distance and time. I'm currently walking a 3.3 mile track almost every day which takes me anywhere from 70 to 90 minutes. When I can do this track without running out of steam I'll increase it.

I'm down 30 pounds, my cholesterol is down in normal range, my blood pressure is consistently down in normal range, my blood sugar is getting closer to normal range. Only the COPD hasn't improved. Although eating less and eating better have helps, I believe moving more is most instrumental in the improvements.
    EAT LESS
    EAT BETTER
    MOVE MORE

PS: my Mother sold Avon at one time.
  • saludable52
    saludable52 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm mainly walking and using my Fit bit to count the steps; every day I do a 15 to 30 minutes Walk to start the day, and in the afternoon ( if weather permits) I go out for a walk to complete 10,000 steps, if not able to go out, I watch a walking video on line. Best of luck.
  • seamonster99
    seamonster99 Posts: 184 Member
    most of my exercise comes from walking. ~5 x week for an hour. Walking is great!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    You don't have to minimize what you're doing by putting "just" in front of walking. What you're doing for your body is so good for you! Keep it up! Walking is great exercise, and if it's something you can do and maybe make a part of each day, all the better. YOU don't have to do anything more. :smile:

This! Walking is exercise and it's one of the ones that makes the most difference to our health if we add it in. Go you.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i walked for exercise - and because i loved to walk - for years. i was very fit, a healthy weight, strong legs.

keep it up - purposeful walking does a body good :smiley:
  • faithlovefit
    faithlovefit Posts: 8 Member
    I walk every day. Between 1-5 miles just depends on how busy my day is with other things. I’m doing some strength training too but it’s pretty light at the moment since I’m getting restarted.
    I haven’t had a coke in nearly 3 months now and it’s been extremely easy to do so since I got into drinking teas. 😍 I don’t add any sugar (a tsp of flavored syrup sometimes if I’m craving a sugary drink, which is Still way less than a coke). If you’d be interested in some teas I make I can share a few ideas with you.
    They’re usually blueberry, apple cinnamon, peach cobbler, or passion fruit flavored. I have others but I haven’t mastered the mix yet. 🤣 they’re usually 0 calories besides whatever sugar you add. Some people can’t handle it without but I do.
  • Madison9776
    Madison9776 Posts: 52 Member
    I usually walk 30 mins to an hour in the morning. If I feel extra stiff or in need of something a bit different I'll add in some yoga or resistance bands.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    My fitness journey began with walking. It's great exercise, low impact and something you can do 365 days a year (if you've been sedentary for a long time like any other exercise start off slow & short & build up), and only requires comfortable clothes & shoes.
  • E7mack96
    E7mack96 Posts: 63 Member
    Hi there, most of my exercise is from walking. I walk up to 10 miles a day. Mornings, midday and evenings. I just started using the MapMyWalk app that integrates right into my MapMyFitness profile. Makes it easier to keep tabs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Walking is my main form of cardiovascular exercise. I also resistance train which is just as if not more important for the majority of people. It helps fight disease, improves quality of life, reverses sarcopenia which is near the top risks of death for advanced age people which extends life. I encourage you to do both for all the benefits.
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Walking is currently 95% of my fitness each week. I'm trying to get stronger so I can start doing some of the other stuff I used to do, that I miss. But for now, I'm mainly walking, with tiny bits of yoga or biking or random other things thrown in once or twice a week.

The thing is, walking is great for us! And I will keep doing it even if/when I'm able to dance and tumble again.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Walking is amazing. It's one of my favorite things to do- easy, enjoyable, and beneficial. It not only burns calories, but it is also one of the most natural movements you can do and will set you up for better functional health for many years to come. Keep it up!
  • E7mack96
    E7mack96 Posts: 63 Member
    I was part of research group that did 250 minutes of walking for 3 months, and they did a dexa scan before and after. I weighed the exact same after 3 months of walking. However, the ratio of "good" fat vs "bad" fat was better, and I think my total fat percentage went down a little. I purposely just tried to eat like I normally did, and didn't count calories. So most likely, I ate more to compensate for the additional activity.

Was it 250 minutes walking a day or week or for the month?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2020
    E7mack96 wrote: »
    I was part of research group that did 250 minutes of walking for 3 months, and they did a dexa scan before and after. I weighed the exact same after 3 months of walking. However, the ratio of "good" fat vs "bad" fat was better, and I think my total fat percentage went down a little. I purposely just tried to eat like I normally did, and didn't count calories. So most likely, I ate more to compensate for the additional activity.

Was it 250 minutes walking a day or week or for the month?

I would hope it is for a week since it would fall in the guideline of the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans which is...

150 to 300 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity, OR;

75 to 150 minutes per week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, AND;

Resistance training of moderate or greater intensity involving all major muscle groups on 2 or more days per week.