60 yrs and up

Replies

• njag3981
    njag3981 Posts: 2 Member
    Thats not even my name. Supposed to be njag6393 but they have messed it all up and its impossible to talk to a human or get any technical help. If you have purchased the premium and you want to opt out it will likely be very difficult.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hey, y'all. Just checking in for the weekend. HOT HOT HOT in southwest Idaho. Trying to stay in the shade in the afternoons. Taking the dog for a walk late in the day. Blood donation in the early morning and some Flying Pie habanero pizza for a treat tomorrow.

What's on your agenda for the weekend?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Hey, y'all. Just checking in for the weekend. HOT HOT HOT in southwest Idaho. Trying to stay in the shade in the afternoons. Taking the dog for a walk late in the day. Blood donation in the early morning and some Flying Pie habanero pizza for a treat tomorrow.

What's on your agenda for the weekend?

What's a "weekend"?

Oh, you mean the days when I can't phone the M-F 8-5 businesses and talk to an actual person? :lol:

It's freakin' hot here, too. My rowing club is still closed to multi-person boat rowing, so (sigh) I'm trying to establish a more routinized rowing machine + weights schedule. I'd been super-slowly dropping weight (by plan, a pound a month or less for the past few), but have stabilized around 130 for a couple of weeks now. I suspect it's more about water weight from the exercise push, rather than stabilizing at new maintenance calories, but time (and the Libra trend, eventually) will tell.

I overloaded on yummy veggies at the farmers market a couple days ago, so eating high off the hog (or is it "high off the eggplant" for vegetarians like me? ;) ). There's lots of nice sage and oregano, plus a bit of tarragon, out in the perennial bed, some rosemary in a pot, to add into the cooking. I planted annual herbs (basil, cilantro, dill) from seed in pots quite late (end of June) rather than getting ornamental annuals (petunias and what-not) this year. They're still tiny, cute seedlings, but this hot weather and adequate rain/watering will bring them along to thinning/eating levels within a month, I'm sure.

Procrastinating, but needing to get on with my Medicare application (still 64 for some months yet).

One of my passion flower vines (which lives indoors in Winter, moves to the deck in Summer) has at least one big bud, so I'm hoping for some of its fragrant, huge, weirdly beautiful blooms quite soon.

I need to continue working on getting more structure into my daily life in the time of Corona. I'm thankful not to be deeply psychologically stressed by these times as many sadly are - actually pretty contented - but I'm definitely not living my best life, from an accomplishments standpoint. Need to work on that!

That's the news, or lack thereof, from Ann-ville.

Hope everyone is well and happy! :)
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    Hi All! I am 73 and have gained around 12 lbs. I'm used to being small (5'1"tall) and this extra weight is getting me down. I started at 129 and I'm down to 124. I exercise most days. I am limiting my calories to around 900 - 1000 per day. I know it's not much, but my resting metabolism says I can have 1050 calories a day to maintain. I am having a hard time losing and can use all the help I can get!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hi All! I am 73 and have gained around 12 lbs. I'm used to being small (5'1"tall) and this extra weight is getting me down. I started at 129 and I'm down to 124. I exercise most days. I am limiting my calories to around 900 - 1000 per day. I know it's not much, but my resting metabolism says I can have 1050 calories a day to maintain. I am having a hard time losing and can use all the help I can get!

Hi, Claire. Welcome to the group. Bookmark this thread and keep checking in here. The mutual support and encouragement is the best feature of MFP. It helps me stay on track.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member

Welcome Bubbe! Lot’s of support here!
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member

Hi Claire, hope you're doing well. You should congratulate yourself for dropping 5LBs! You didn't mention over what period of time though...because of your height and being within the normal BMI range again, it's going to be slower. What are the results/time frame you were hoping for ? Can you be comfortable and patient with 1 to 1 1/2 a month?
  • Smee1961
    Smee1961 Posts: 6 Member
    cherylre wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for friends 60 and older to help keep us all motivated. Maybe checking in with each other every day to keep us on track. Just started yesterday, have to lose 30 lbs. The older u get the harder it seems to get.

• Smee1961
    Smee1961 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi I am Mel 59 and still working Cheryl. Would love to check in with you and buddy up. But be aware I may not be able to respond immediately. My interest are easy cooking. No baking, can only make a crumble he he. I love gardening and woodworking/ upcycling.

Look forward to chatting and swooping ideas
    Mel 😉😍
  • geniebear72
    geniebear72 Posts: 5 Member
    My name is Jean and I just turned 66. I need to lose a lot of weight and thought joining a group of people around my age and knowing what we go through will help. Hoping to make some friends along the way. Have a great day.
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Good morning 60 & uppers :) Dropped another pound. That makes 19 pounds since the first of the year :smiley:

Hello to all the newbys :smiley: Don't get discouraged. If you keep it up you will eventually lose weight :smile: I have had to experiment with different daily caloric intake and macro amounts, but it has payed off as I am losing. I am also learning about what works for me and what doesn't. Unfortunately dieting is not "one size fits all" :(

Special shout out to my friends <3

Have a blessed day everyone o:)
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Hi, my name is Chriss and sixty years old. I am glad to have found this group. I live in a rural area in East Texas. Between February and April, my weight crept up, due to the snacking we did on lock down. And it continued to go up and eliminate the achievement I did with walking and WW three years ago. I was getting closer and closer to that 200 mark again and a couple of weeks ago, i decided that was enough. So here I am again. First mini goal is to lose about twelve pounds as it's what I gained since the beginning of the year. Wouldn't mind the support and a few friends along the way. I did weigh in this morning, since I modified what and how I eat, and I did lose three pounds. And that's six pounds from where I began again. It's incentive for sure!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) Back in the days when I went to line dance classes three days a week, I had lots of women to talk to and most of them were not interested in talking about healthy eating and exercise and the ones who did want to talk about it, "viewed with alarm" most of what I was doing and urged me to relax and not be so uptight. Needless to say, they were not a support system. Thus I have found it healthy to have a support group on MFP who listens to me talk about what I'm eating, how I'm exercising, and what's working. That's what this thread is all about.

:) I have a very structured eating plan and eat a fairly limited range of foods so I don't have to think about food all the time. I eat at certain times of the day and do a lot of the same exercise daily.

:) Good habits bring me freedom.

:) My goals are not about how much weight I want to lose but about what behaviours I strive for daily, like how much water I drink, how many steps I walk, how short my sessions are at the computer. It works for me. I can get away from the computer, drink a glass of water, and take a walk on my own volition, but the losing of the pounds may or may not happen and I cannot force it.

:) I just got back from two hours of walking the dogs and in a few minutes will meet a friend who comes every Sunday morning at 9:30 to walk and talk for an hour.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    @lynnchristy Congrats!!! That's super!
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    This is a tricky time for me. I've fixed my motor scooter (Piaggio 250cc) so in theory I should be able to get out of the house. The trouble is I can get on it, ride it, stop it.....but I can't get off it due to my dicky hip. The temptation to relive my youth is very hard to resist .
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :)Bob, I feel your pain. My back is bothering me and keeping me from activities that I want to do.
  • trekkie123
    Hi, I will be 60 in October. I was really fit six years ago and my husband died in an accident. I put on 60 pounds when I stopped exercising and was grieving. My current husband is really supportive. I used to body build and have lots of experience getting in shape with cardio and lower weight dumbbells. Any attempts at a healthy balanced diet and exercise help improve you health. I hope to make friends who are seniors and can motivate me.

Welcome Deborah, you came to the right place. Lots of support here. Wishing you lots of luck on your journey!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    A good day
    Shopping
    Made my own lemon curd
    19,300 steps
    2333 calories burned
    8 miles in total 2 walks
    I think I am on a roll!
  • trekkie123
    annliz23 wrote: »