Hunger signals/How do you know when you’re hungry?

Options
How do you (personally) know when you’re hungry? Do you ever eat to reach calorie goals even if you don’t feel hungry?

Replies

• KOO2020
    KOO2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love this question- following to learn more!
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, if I get so busy and forget to eat, I get hungry. I know because my stomach gets uncomfortable and starts growling. However, this month I have been trying to eat by 10 am and at least every 3 or 4 hours after. Usually 4 times per day, and that helps me to make better, more nutritious choices. I don't eat more to make it to calorie goals, but I am so short that it is set at 1200, and it's hard for me to survive on less than that! So, I usually eat 1300-1500 calories and I've been losing weight slowly.

I’m short also (5’1). My goal is set to 1350, but sometimes (not super often, but it happens) I get to 1000 and don’t feel hungry (especially if I missed or have a late breakfast). I usually don’t get to the point of my stomach growling before I’ll eat (unless it’s like 1am and I stayed up too late). Sometimes I wonder if I’m misreading my hunger cues or if it’s normal.

I used to eat whenever I was bored, so I’m still trying to adjust to learning when I actually need to eat versus I’m not doing anything so eating sounds “fun”.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,710 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I stagger meals and snacks out all day so I never feel hungry. It’s when I do get hungry that I often go nuts and start eating anything and everything for a quick fix.

A lot of times I also have to step back and ask myself,”is this hunger - or am I really thirsty?”

It’s hot down here, I walk a lot and I prefer hot mat classes, so I tend to stay dehydrated. Can never remember to hydrate. That sounds dumb, but it’s something I have to stay particularly conscious of.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure it out myself! Hah.

Definitely when my stomach starts getting achy or growls. I've done my best to stay hydrated so I'm not confusing thirst with hunger, but the big one for me has always been boredom "hunger". I'm learning that's more of a mental itch, the munchies, and not physical signs. Thankfully I've changed up my diet to one that eliminates most cravings for me, which has been a massive help in figuring out what the heck my body is doing.

If I'm not paying attention and go too long I'll start getting a little shaky and my heart rate elevates. It'll resemble the early stages of an anxiety or panic attack.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My stomach feels empty, growls and I get a headache. It's pretty uncomfortable. If I can imagine eating boiled chicken breast or something bland and plain and it is appetizing then I pretty much know it's hunger. For me at least.

And yes I will eat when not hungry sometimes because if I don't I will either lose weight too fast, not maintain or not gain (depending on my goals). There are times where my hunger signals aren't strong enough or don't always follow my calorie goal.
  • Terrania24
    Terrania24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm faintly hungry almost all the time when I'm in a calorie deficit, except for right after a meal, so there's never an issue of NOT being hungry. I tell myself that the faint background hunger is the sensation of weight loss, and is therefore a positive thing. However, if I get so hungry that my concentration or energy are affected, then I stop and have a snack like a rice cake with almond butter, or an ounce of cheese and a few almonds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    I dunno, really. There are some sure signs, like when I've been very active a long time and I start losing energy, maybe getting grumpy and cognitively less sharp. More normal times, it's just amorphous "feelings".

Now that I'm actively managing my weight, if I start feeling hungry, and there isn't a meal coming up pretty soon, I eat a little something (usually protein-y) to beat it back, for pretty much the reasons springlering62 mentioned: If I feel really hungry, I'm more likely to start shoveling in food to excess when I do finally eat.

My one potential problem area I've noticed personally is that once I'm eating, satiation comes slowly - more slowly, often, than the 20 minutes that's often cited. So, I have some strategies for that (varied, but it amounts to eating what I know is sensible based on calories, then distract myself with an activity, eat something low-calorie but higher effort (raw veggies, maybe), sip some tea/coffee/water, really anything to expaaaaaannnnnnddd the time before I decide I need to eat something more calorie dense to feel full).

If you're sensing a theme here, from experienced MFP-ers, that this stuff is kind of individual and even possibly eccentric, so takes some individual figuring out . . . I think that's a good insight. Knowing yourself is powerful.

I'd rarely eat just to achieve a calorie goal, though that's rarely circumstances that happen, for me. I would eat just to achieve a nutritional goal, though, if I have the calories left but not all that hungry . . . and sometimes would even eat to hit a nutritional goal if I *don't* have calories left. I put a high priority on overall nutrition, and a few extra calories now and then is usually NBD.

If someone is extremely (hundreds) under their calorie goal on a frequent basis, I'd encourage them to eat more calories, even if not hungry. From experience, I know that hunger (or energy level) is not a great guide to whether one's undereating. For me, and others I"ve seen comment here on MFP, under-eating or under-nutrition consequences tend to hit suddenly adn abruptly: One is flying along nicely, then suddenly lying on the ground feebly twitching one's wings. ;)

People sometimes experience early satiation (i.e., before sufficient calories or nutrition) in the honeymoon phase of calorie counting, especially when they've switched from a less satiating way of eating (such as lots of highly-processed or calorie-dense but non-satiating foods) to a more satiating nutrient-dense but calorie-sparse way of eating (such as lots of veggies or whole grains, or other high-fiber foods). In those cases, adding something nutrient-dense and calorie-dense but not very satiating can be helpful, like nuts, nut butter, avocado, extra olive oil on salad or veggies, fattier cuts of meat/fish, full fat dairy instead of low/non-fat, or that sort of thing.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Generally, I eat when my stomach yells at me. Not eating when not hungry is important. But it's also important not for me at least to not deny my hunger to the point that I'm weak or actually have pain from it because than I am more prone to making less than ideal food choices.

When I'm sick my body seems to forget about food, in which case I do need to actually make myself eat. When I had a suspected case of Covid in the early spring logging with MFP was actually critical because it showed me how little I was eating, so I fed my exhausted body so it could fight that damn virus.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat as soon as my stomach shouts at me, because as others have said, there is a much higher risk that I will get too hungry and eat anything - this happened a lot before lockdown because I was so busy with kids/work/housestuff that I often didn't have time, and this resulted in poor choices made in a panic. Since lockdown, we are obviously home a lot more and I'm able to address it.

I drink loads of water every day and try to stay on top of that.

If I've got more than 500 calories left to hit my target by the evening, I will eat for the sake of it. In the last week it's been two shredded wheat and oat milk although I am not sure that eating carbs so late in the day is the best thing, although it's a fairly low calorie thing to eat. I sometimes have cheese and crackers but recently my fat intake has been quite high... Haven't found the perfect food yet.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Funny you ask this. I don't think I have the greatest hunger signals....my stomach sometimes doesn't feel funny but I do get brain fog. When my mind/thoughts are moving SLOWLY...it's time to eat.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I would never eat purely to meet a calorie goal, in my head that’s counterintuitive.

I think the perception of hunger is a very individual thing. I’m interested to read AnnPT77 say above that if she’s hungry satiation is slower, because I’ve always found the opposite. The hungrier I feel, the less I need to feel full. There are times when I can feel like I’m ‘starving’ (head swimming, deep nausea) but I can only manage 3 or 4 forkfuls and I get that ‘full’ feeling.

I think I’ve possibly messed up my hunger signals over the years to a point where I’m rarely aware of hunger. Feeling empty is something I prefer - nothing worse for me than feeling ‘full’. That’s a mentally and physically uncomfortable position I try hard not to find myself in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    I would never eat purely to meet a calorie goal, in my head that’s counterintuitive.

I think the perception of hunger is a very individual thing. I’m interested to read AnnPT77 say above that if she’s hungry satiation is slower, because I’ve always found the opposite. The hungrier I feel, the less I need to feel full. There are times when I can feel like I’m ‘starving’ (head swimming, deep nausea) but I can only manage 3 or 4 forkfuls and I get that ‘full’ feeling.

I think I’ve possibly messed up my hunger signals over the years to a point where I’m rarely aware of hunger. Feeling empty is something I prefer - nothing worse for me than feeling ‘full’. That’s a mentally and physically uncomfortable position I try hard not to find myself in.

For clarity: Didn't mean satiation was slower for me if *extra* hungry. It's always slow, compared to published reports. I just meant that if I am hungry (at all), it takes a long time after eating for fullness to register. If I weren't hungry when I started eating, it would make that not relevant, y'know: Can't stop feeling hungry if I don't feel hungry in the first place, eh?

I haven't noticed any difference between satiation timing when kinda (just perceptibly) hungry vs. veryVery hungry at the start. The only difference is that in the veryVery hungry state, I'm more likely to overeat (less likely to do that deferral to see if fullness sets in, that I mentioned in PP).

I still like feeling quite full, though I think not as much as I used to (before loss, and during early years of maintenance, even). Appetite is weird.