Intermittent Fasting?

Options
Does anyone intermittent fast? The last two days, I’ve done 16/8. But honestly, I’m finding it challenging. I’ve read not to eat or drink anything but water/ which I’ve been doing. I also read there is no need to count calories when doing this.
Any feedback would be great!!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. If you find it challenging consider simply counting calories.
  • KOO2020
    KOO2020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You have to count calories for weight loss. You can implement intermittent fasting also but calories are what matter. I stick to eating from the time I wake up (sometimes immediately if I’m hungry or I wait up to 5 hours depending on my day). My goal is to stop eating around 6:30-7pm. I usually go to sleep around 10-12. It’s not a hard rule for me but I find if I eat late at night I tend to over eat (for no reason because I’m only going to sleep not running, lol).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    KOO2020 wrote: »
    I also read there is no need to count calories when doing this.

And what will be the outcome for your weight if you exceed your daily maintenance calories by what you eat during your 8hr eating window?

Unfortunately time restricted eating seem to attract a certain semi-mystical fringe that believes that magic happens just because you eat in an 8hr window rather than whatever window is normal for you.

It suits some people and doesn't suit others, if it make adhering to your calorie goal easier (whether counted or guessed) then go for it. But if it makes the process harder then that's counter-productive.

See no reason for you not to experiment.

(I'm a regular breakfast skipper and frequently eat in an 8hr window or less but there's days I need or want to eat in a different way - plus I don't like arbitrary rules and restrictions.)
  • Maademperor
    Maademperor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i find intermittent fasting makes the calorie deficit easier to attain. if you can successfully shorten that window of eating you at least get a chance to feel full and satiated on the limited calories you are allowed. if you are training on top of that this also allows you the "fuel-up" chance before and after your workout
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 8/16 and I am loving the structure but I also count my calories. I go from 9-5 and honestly by making sure I get the protein I need I don't find myself hungry at all after dinner.

Before I started doing IF I had a terrible food schedule I could never get under management. I would drink my coffee in the morning then nothing until dinner meal. At bedtime every night I binged snacks because I was "starving". With IF I feel like I have retrained my body when I should eat and I don't see me ever not being on this schedule.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of success with this, it is easier to maintain calories. It is harder right now since I'm always at home due to covid, but trying to get back on the IF wagon
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Please get the book Fast. Feast. Repeat by Gin Stephens OR The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Watch Dr. Sten Ekberg on YouTube. I do IF as well as keto. Learning as much as possible helps me. I continue to read and watch videos on it. It really is a very healthy way of life
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    KOO2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone intermittent fast? The last two days, I’ve done 16/8. But honestly, I’m finding it challenging. I’ve read not to eat or drink anything but water/ which I’ve been doing. I also read there is no need to count calories when doing this.
    Any feedback would be great!!

You only would not have to count calories if limiting yourself to an eating window naturally keeps you in a calorie deficit. For some people that might work, but I often end up exceeding my calories within 8 hours.

Some people find that delaying when they start eating and closing the kitchen at a certain point in the evening helps them with appetite control and habitual eating. If that works for you, great! But you still need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, whether you count the cals or not :drinker:

I did 16/8 for awhile and still delay eating until noon as a habit I acquired while doing it, but I feel better eating a little something before I go to bed so I dropped the 8 hour window
  • my4570
    my4570 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing strictish IF for about 6 months; I usually fast for 16-18 hours, sometimes 20 hours. I never eat before noon, so for 16/8 I’ll do from 12-8 and for 18/6 it would be like 1-7 or 2-8. On Sundays I often sleep in and with a morning workout, might do 3-7 for a 20/4 fast.

In the beginning, if you are used to eating breakfast, it can be tough and you will be hungry! IF isn’t for everyone; I mostly do IF because I used to binge eat at night, so IF is just sort of a way for me to stop eating by 7/8. I haven’t had a habit of eating a real breakfast for 6 years, so the morning part is not as hard for me. I would say if you need breakfast, that’s totally fine and IF may not be for you. There’s not really any “perfect” way to be healthy; just what works for you! Besides the calorie deficit of course because that’s just physiology.

IF for me mostly helps me to maintain the deficit by curbing night eating and also helps with digestion and removing constant thoughts of food. It also allows me to eat slightly more substantial meals if I need and also have dessert every day!