Aaahhh trying to get used to this

Options
Hi everyone 🤗
So I have always followed weight watchers and I’ve always been a yo-yo with it 😣 I have lost good results but I always hit a ditch so needed something new!! I’m loving MFP so far as I can be as strict as I want in terms of calories etc but still have the odd treat. But can anyone tell me are you strict in counting veg, onions and even a cup of black coffee? I typed in coffee and some had 2 calories and others had 5? Why is this?
Thanks 😊

Replies

• Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein low carb diet at the moment and I am allowed unlimited veg out of a list. Other veg is limited to 200g a day but I do not have to look at calories.
    My biggest problem is the veg I can eat unlimited I usually don't like lol. I can drink instant/filter black coffee but i like mine with milk ;-( ) and Onions I am allowed half of one which means I find the biggest I can and eat half ;-)
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For me personally i log all the food i expect to eat through out the day, then i adjust accordingly. Because i usually eat eat same stuff except for fruits.

If you find logging each food at a time is boring try logging them before eating them. Might work for you too
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can be as strict or as loose as your progress allows. I personally track everything even coffee. Black coffee has a few carbs that's why it has a few calories, some types of coffee have more calories than others (instant coffee in particular). I track coffee because it has some minerals and I like tracking my minerals. I track every slice, bite, vegetable, lettuce leaf, everything. I'm obsessed with data and I enjoy looking at the nutrients so this works for me.

You don't have to track as strictly as I do, though. Track in a way that feels comfortable, and if you're seeing the progress you want why fix what's not broken? I've had stretches where I tracked all vegetables as a single vegetable (for example, I would weigh a salad that has several vegetables and track it as "tomatoes"), and times like now where anything other than water gets weighed and tracked. Do what feels doable, and you can always tighten up your logging if you stall for several weeks.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don’t track coffee. I put skim milk in my coffee and I find the calories/carbs/protein minimal enough that I don’t track it.

Make sure you weigh everything that you DO record and double check that MFP has the right information by comparing to the package (if it’s something that came out of a package).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    99% of the food entries in the database are entered by users just like you, so you do have to be careful about checking the accuracy before you use them (referring to the coffee issue.) I track coffee, but I put milk and chocolate syrup in mine, so I kind of have to.

On vegetables. Yes, I track all the vegetables. I use my digital scale while preparing the meal, write down the amounts and then add them afterwards to my FOOD page.
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I enter everything in for my day either that morning or the night before so I can plan ahead and adjust as the day goes. It helps me to stay in my calorie deficit, so I try to enter everything. Plus it gives me a look at my nutrients I'm getting, which I like. I worry if I stop tracking some things that it'll form a bad habit and that hidden calories will add up. You just gotta find what works for you. This app keeps me honest as long as I track religiously. 😉
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Clive_1963 wrote: »
    I am on a high protein low carb diet at the moment and I am allowed unlimited veg out of a list. Other veg is limited to 200g a day but I do not have to look at calories.
    My biggest problem is the veg I can eat unlimited I usually don't like lol. I can drink instant/filter black coffee but i like mine with milk ;-( ) and Onions I am allowed half of one which means I find the biggest I can and eat half ;-)

Why? Why not just eat what you like, in the right amount? If you eat masses of the veggies you can have limitless, and a huge half onion you might not actually be in a calorie deficit, you know?
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Clive_1963 wrote: »

Why? Why not just eat what you like, in the right amount? If you eat masses of the veggies you can have limitless, and a huge half onion you might not actually be in a calorie deficit, you know?

Most low carb diets don't concern themselves with calories, but with counting carbs. Also, the unlimited vegetables are usually green leafy stuff that's barely any calories for a truckload. It all depends on the plan he is following.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone 🤗
    So I have always followed weight watchers and I’ve always been a yo-yo with it 😣 I have lost good results but I always hit a ditch so needed something new!! I’m loving MFP so far as I can be as strict as I want in terms of calories etc but still have the odd treat. But can anyone tell me are you strict in counting veg, onions and even a cup of black coffee? I typed in coffee and some had 2 calories and others had 5? Why is this?
    Thanks 😊

I count most everything, but not down to the "2 calories" level. :# I drink coffee with 2 tablespoons of cream, so I only count the cream. If I have a sandwich with a lettuce leaf, I don't panic if the lettuce isn't accounted for.