Is 1200 calories safe??

I always get betwixt and between on the 1200 calories.. MFP gave me a total of 1330 for 1 lb a week loss. And 1200 for 1.5 lbs a week loss. But so many people say your body will go into starvation and store and stop your Metabolism.. Can I have some healthy feedback on that please.. I'm trying to loose my Last15 lbs and do it right... TIA

Replies

• DonnasJourney0805
    DonnasJourney0805 Posts: 75 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I always get betwixt and between on the 1200 calories.. MFP gave me a total of 1330 for 1 lb a week loss. And 1200 for 1.5 lbs a week loss. But so many people say your body will go into starvation and store and stop your Metabolism.. Can I have some healthy feedback on that please.. I'm trying to loose my Last15 lbs and do it right... TIA

With 15 lbs left to go, 1.5 lbs per week is an overly aggressive rate of loss. You will be risking muscle loss and honestly just getting too hangry to finish.

Most of us would suggest going as low as 0.5lbs per week at this point, but if you want to try for a rate of 1 lb per week, that's really as fast as you should go.

Starvation mode isn't really a thing. But if you undereat for an extended period of time though, you can lose muscle and mess up your hormones, plus experience some serious fatigue, all of which can cause you to burn a few less calories.

How much you should eat depends on your height, weight, activity level, and desired rate of loss. 1200 cals would be fine for a small group of people, unnecessarily tough for others, and actually dangerous for the rest.

Thank you for the info... Helps so much ❣️
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2020
    When MFP recommends a daily calorie intake it is just doing the math based on the user's input. 1200 calories, or less, per day, can be a starvation diet, and even it is not, most people taking in so few calories will exhibit some of the symptoms of starvation such as tiredness, etc.

I could not stick to a 1200 calorie/day diet. Literally, I was hungry all the time and suffered the other symptoms of starving myself - tired, short-tempered, lethargic, and slower metabolism so I gained weight. I now work with a range of 1500 - 1800 calories per day and have been losing, on average, about 1 pound/week. I'm down about 30 pounds since Christmas, feeling better and exercising/moving more.
  • DonnasJourney0805
    When MFP recommends a daily calorie intake it is just doing the math based on the user's input. 1200 calories, or less, per day, can be a starvation diet, and even it is not, most people taking in so few calories will exhibit some of the symptoms of starvation such as tiredness, etc.

I could not stick to a 1200 calorie/day diet. Literally, I was hungry all the time and suffered the other symptoms of starving myself - tired, short-tempered, lethargic, and slower metabolism so I gained weight. I now work with a range of 1500 - 1800 calories per day and have been losing, on average, about 1 pound/week. I'm down about 30 pounds since Christmas, feeling better and exercising/moving more.

That is great.. I think that is what I have done to myself.. I have stayed too low too long.. And I have literally halted on any progress.. For a long time now.. Working on keeping them up now.. I think that's what I need to do and reset my system
  • DonnasJourney0805
    I started on 1350 calories (I'm 5'3") when I had ~35lbs to lose. I lost very quickly on this amount, and gradually increased to ~1600. I ended up going to the ER with bradycardia (low HR) low BP, low BS. My husband told the Dr I had been exercising and eating healthy. The Dr did not recommend exercising less, but said I needed to eat more, at least 1800. I still lost on this amount, just more slowly. I was probably working out between 40 min to an hour a day, plus a very active job(usually over 10000 steps just at work).
    How active are you?

I do 30 to 40 minutes of cardio and HIIT at least 4 days a week... I have just been at a stand still for a long time.. But mentally struggle with upping my calories.. I usually consume at 1250ish a day.. But I'm setting it to what MFP gives me for 1 lb a week which is 1390.. see if I can get this train moving again.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Congratulations on what you've lost so far.

As everyone has said, the last lbs are the hardest / slowest. However, have you had a diet break? I'd suggest switching your goal to 'Maintain current weight' and eat that number of cals (plus your exercise cals) for one to two weeks. Then, when you resume, select a rate of losing 0.5lb a week. It's slow, but it's safe and it's also good practice for when you really will be maintaining.
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    MFP recommened 1236. It’s been kinda hard to stick to especially since I try to be under my goal. So I usually end up around 1100.
    I’m starving. But I’m learning to eat until I’m satisfied rather than being full. It’s a really weird feeling.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I think it depends on numerous things. If someone was completely sedentary, there wouldn't be a need for more than 1200 calories.