100 g + protein on 1200-1500 calorie range

Options
I am struggling with my protein consumption of 100 g+ on 1200-1500 calorie range. Please share your meals. It will be very helpful if I have enough ideas.

PS : Yes, I am a petite woman who's maintenance is 1420 only. So I am eating enough.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    30% protein is hard to hit. Are you sure it's worth it to aim that high?

I typically eat 1600-1800 cals and I'm damn proud of myself when I hit 90g :smile:

Typical recommendation I've seen is 0.6 - 1g of protein per lb of ideal body weight, for whatever that's worth.

When I was trying to increase my protein, I found it important to either each morning or the night before plan out and pre log my protein heavy foods for each meal, tweaking serving size until I got to at least 60g. Then typically I'd get up over 80 during the day with the scant protein in other foods.

Personally i can only hit 100g when I eat more meat than I really want to. I can hit a slightly lower goal with a little meat plus eggs, dairy, tofu, edamame, beans, lentils, protein powder, and meat substitute burgers and crumbles.
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Fair life protein shake only 140 calories for 30 grams protein.
    Or premier 30 grams same 30 grams protein
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest a *method*, rather than foods? This is what I did, to increase protein, as a vegetarian on reduced calories (who emphatically does *not* enjoy protein powder, protein bars, or most forms of commercial faux meat).

Review your diary, identifying items that contribute relatively high calories, but minimal protein. Those are candidates to reduce or eliminate to free up calories. Next, identify foods you enjoy eating that have relatively more protein for that number of calories, and plug those into your eating instead. Repeat this process over a period of time, and you'll gradually work your way toward your protein goal. Those small incremental amounts add up, over the course of a day.

If you're an omnivore, it seems like hitting that protein goal at your calorie level would be quite manageable. (I was getting more like 90s, probably, at those calorie levels, but get 100g+ most days, in maintenance, as a vegetarian.)

Of course there are main-meal items with protein, and most people think of eating in that "one big protein per meal" way. That's important, but it's also possible to choose sides with more protein than others, snacks with more protein, beverages with more protein, etc. Many people don't realize that there are veggies with more protein, even some fruits. These latter are often lower-quality protein (incomplete in essential amino acids (EAAs)), but shooting for a wide variety of sources will help with balancing that out, over time.

This is the classic guide, for identifying new protein sources among foods you enjoy:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find foods you like on that list, work on eating more of those, less of something else not as vital to your nutritional goals or happiness, and you'll get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    30% protein is hard to hit. Are you sure it's worth it to aim that high?

I typically eat 1600-1800 cals and I'm damn proud of myself when I hit 90g :smile:

Typical recommendation I've seen is 0.6 - 1g of protein per lb of ideal body weight, for whatever that's worth.

When I was trying to increase my protein, I found it important to either each morning or the night before plan out and pre log my protein heavy foods for each meal, tweaking serving size until I got to at least 60g. Then typically I'd get up over 80 during the day with the scant protein in other foods.

Personally i can only hit 100g when I eat more meat than I really want to. I can hit a slightly lower goal with a little meat plus eggs, dairy, tofu, edamame, beans, lentils, protein powder, and meat substitute burgers and crumbles.

Yes, OP if 30% is a struggle, drop it down to 20-25%.

I get more calories than you, and when I told my dietitian I was struggling to hit 100 g, she said 80 g was fine.
  • threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 @kizanne2 @AnnPT77 @kshama2001 I somehow managed to do meal prep with 110g protein for 7 days a week on 1500 calories. 152 carb, 110 protein and 50 fat. I made my meals around protein. Its mostly chicken, seafood, eggs, lentil & protein powder. My maintenance is 1450 but since I am working out, I believe I am at least burning 50 calories in a 60-90 minutes strength training session.

Thank you guys :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 @kizanne2 @AnnPT77 @kshama2001 I somehow managed to do meal prep with 110g protein for 7 days a week on 1500 calories. 152 carb, 110 protein and 50 fat. I made my meals around protein. Its mostly chicken, seafood, eggs, lentil & protein powder. My maintenance is 1450 but since I am working out, I believe I am at least burning 50 calories in a 60-90 minutes strength training session.

Thank you guys :)

As long as that doesn't make you short-change your fat minimum (like 0.35-0.45g/pound of weight for a woman) or your veggie/fruit servings (for micros/fiber), that's great, IMO. Balance is key.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't. Protein is a massive reflux trigger for me and it doesn't satiate me at all. I usually get close to the standard settings protein goal but no way I could get higher without health problems or starting to binge due to hunger. It might not be ideal, but I'm still building muscles.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I soak chia seeds and oats in protein drinks (I honestly love my chocolate flavour lactose free protein milk - stuff ends up like a chocolate pudding if I leave it in the fridge overnight), I eat a lot of low fat mozzarella in salads, I eat a lot of lean chicken/turkey, I love my beans (mostly for the fibre tbh hah)