Running friends

Options
Hi 🙂. I think I need some running friends. I've been running for a long time but I have never pushed the distance on my runs. I usually only did 5-10k. Running was mostly a matter of exercise and not something I really put much interest in, I always loved it of course but there was always other interests and the time. I'm really getting into the running now. I love it. I am mostly a road runner but I want to break into the trails. I'm planning a solo marathon in about a month or so, I'm going well with the training plan..its hard 😂. To be expected really. I was hoping to add some people who are runners in my friends. Thought it might help motivate and inspire me to keep going.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Running long distance is awesome especially on the trails. You get to spend time with friends and enjoy nature while doing something good for your body. Feel free to add me. I was mostly a road runner but I'm to the point that I'd rather be on the trail.
  • KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanks 😊 I will do, sent a request. Today I'm hitting my second time on a trail. This one will be more technical than last time. A fatigue session before the long run tomorrow. I live in Australia and lucky to be surrounded by bush. Due to the exercise restrictions by COVID, I'm allowed to go in there and run but not travel out of local areas.. thankfully the wilderness is just down the road getting into some deep bush.. a bit bored of running around the town 😂. Neighbours are probably bored of me as well 😂 need some fresh scenery. I have a trail running group I'm stalking and once restrictions are lifted I'll join in their group runs for sure!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I’m a runner. Currently training for a half at the end of August. No trail running for me (love to hike but I’m happier walking the trails than running them).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't usually run in the summer...but pools are closed. I thought maybe I'd acclimate to the heat if I kept going. It is really hot here, even close to 90 if I get out by 9:30-10am. So, my runs haven't been longer than 5 miles (including walking)for a while. I'm hoping to get in at least 3 miles tomorrow. When the weather cools off a bit, I'll get up to 7 miles on my longer runs.
  • brittany_sander
    brittany_sander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!! I love running!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Definitely join the group when you get the chance.
    Some of my wife's best friends are people she met through running and still runs with, many, many years later.
    They get the shakes, chills and the nausea when one of them has to miss.
    Their runs are a full hour of non-stop sharing, chatting and gossip, after all.
    Good luck with your marathon.
    I lived in Boston for a year and decided to run the marathon while I was there. (In those days, since registration was quite limited, and so coveted, they let people who could not qualify for the actual race to tag along at the end, without a number. They called it "banditing.")
    Now, I have to admit, I absolutely love my running, but I found the marathon training odious torture. Six-mile runs: Great fun! Meditative! Twelve-mile and 15-mile and 18-mile runs (that's as far as one did training runs in those days): BORING!!!
    Ah well.
    That said, I really got to know the city of Boston, which was fun, and the experience of running in the Marathon, where hordes of spectators shout encouragement the whole way, was spectacular and has given me a story I continue to tell to this day -- as you can see!
    I am sure you will find the same thing. It is SO worth it to run a marathon.
    Marathons? Maybe not so much.
    Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5-7 kilometer runner. That's about my distance level. I'm consistent, slow and enjoy the runs. If you'd like to be running buddies, add me.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am only a year in to running but really enjoy the challenge!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I just started a half marathon training plan this week! I am registered for a local half in October, one I really really hope happens because I want to experience it while we live here and we have hit the minimum number of years for my husband’s job contract so who knows if we will be here next year or not. I would love to do the full marathon because the route is amazing (national parks and battlefields) but also quite difficult so who knows if it will ever happen. My mileage will start upping this next week. Currently still in the 3-4 mile range, but the long run increases by 2 miles each week! Eek! The longest I have ever gone in one shot is 7 miles, but I didn’t feel like dying when I stopped so hopefully that’s a good sign :lol: I usually run 3-5 miles, but will occasionally push a little further if I have the opportunity to change up the scenery (river runs are my faves). I love trail running, but it takes more planning and time to make it happen so I generally stick to the roads. Our neighborhood is a .86 mile loop and is turning into a mental dreadmill (hence the 3-5 mile limit, I get bored!)
  • KungfuPandin
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for replying. I'm so sorry it took so long to read these replies. I'm still working out MFP all these years later LOL. I think I sent everyone a friend request.
  • KungfuPandin
    Options
    I just started a half marathon training plan this week! I am registered for a local half in October, one I really really hope happens because I want to experience it while we live here and we have hit the minimum number of years for my husband’s job contract so who knows if we will be here next year or not. I would love to do the full marathon because the route is amazing (national parks and battlefields) but also quite difficult so who knows if it will ever happen. My mileage will start upping this next week. Currently still in the 3-4 mile range, but the long run increases by 2 miles each week! Eek! The longest I have ever gone in one shot is 7 miles, but I didn’t feel like dying when I stopped so hopefully that’s a good sign :lol: I usually run 3-5 miles, but will occasionally push a little further if I have the opportunity to change up the scenery (river runs are my faves). I love trail running, but it takes more planning and time to make it happen so I generally stick to the roads. Our neighborhood is a .86 mile loop and is turning into a mental dreadmill (hence the 3-5 mile limit, I get bored!)

I'm running around my neighbourhood too LOL.. the neighbours are getting sick of me :/ . all this covid lock down running LOL :D .. anyway.. that route sounds really cool, battle fields wow!! You can do it, just keep on plugging away.. I get you tho.. some days I have no idea if I will pass this marathon training.
  • KungfuPandin
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Definitely join the group when you get the chance.
    Some of my wife's best friends are people she met through running and still runs with, many, many years later.
    They get the shakes, chills and the nausea when one of them has to miss.
    Their runs are a full hour of non-stop sharing, chatting and gossip, after all.
    Good luck with your marathon.
    I lived in Boston for a year and decided to run the marathon while I was there. (In those days, since registration was quite limited, and so coveted, they let people who could not qualify for the actual race to tag along at the end, without a number. They called it "banditing.")
    Now, I have to admit, I absolutely love my running, but I found the marathon training odious torture. Six-mile runs: Great fun! Meditative! Twelve-mile and 15-mile and 18-mile runs (that's as far as one did training runs in those days): BORING!!!
    Ah well.
    That said, I really got to know the city of Boston, which was fun, and the experience of running in the Marathon, where hordes of spectators shout encouragement the whole way, was spectacular and has given me a story I continue to tell to this day -- as you can see!
    I am sure you will find the same thing. It is SO worth it to run a marathon.
    Marathons? Maybe not so much.
    Feel free to add me if you would like.

Yes I joined a trail running group and then covid happened and I must wait til restrictions ease up and I can go on a run with them. I communicate a lot with them tho, they do a buddy system as well with more experienced runners taking on the less experienced ones. I hope to glean the advice from the more experienced all the time.. constantly learning.
    I'm super excited about it. I have some online running friends but its not the same. My husband is a runner, we sometimes run together when he has a day off and the kids are at school or if the kids are on the bikes we might run chasing our children. Marathon training is torture you are so right LOL.. I'm finding it really hard. I'm a solo runner mostly. so running a solo marathon makes sense for me.. but the Melbourne marathon was set on my sights. You run into a stadium full of your family and friends for a victory lap.. oh well. I guess I just have another year of training. The Boston marathon is like the ultimate dream marathon LOL! so impressed by anyone who has run it..All that history right there. World class. In Australia we don't have that.. but there is a fairly big hill near where I live called Mt Donna. I take my kids there to play in the snow.. we don't get much snow LOL. But in my mind she is massive, steep, elevations are crazy, she is technical terrain.. and crazy insane people come to run up and down it once a year in snake season, its called the 'double donna'.. huge kudos is given to the people that can survive her. she is brutal, mean spirited mountain but beautiful. Truly beautiful. I'd love to say I did that run.. a story for the kids.. how mum mangled her self and somehow ran up and down the moutain with all the crazies wearing strange costumes as they do.. Snow is a weird thing here in Australia.. we go to visit snow.. it's not something that happens unless you travel to it LOL. It's not Boston marathon by any means at all.. but it has appeal. Bragging rights LOL.
  • KungfuPandin
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I'm a 5-7 kilometer runner. That's about my distance level. I'm consistent, slow and enjoy the runs. If you'd like to be running buddies, add me.

Oh I'm not a fast runner! I'd love to add you as a friend, no matter the distance or the speed. I say if you are running 1k or 2mtrs you are a runner in my mind.. it's such an enjoyable thing.
  • KungfuPandin
    Options
    I don't usually run in the summer...but pools are closed. I thought maybe I'd acclimate to the heat if I kept going. It is really hot here, even close to 90 if I get out by 9:30-10am. So, my runs haven't been longer than 5 miles (including walking)for a while. I'm hoping to get in at least 3 miles tomorrow. When the weather cools off a bit, I'll get up to 7 miles on my longer runs.

I agree, it's hot in summer and hard to run. I tend to perform better in the cooler temperatures as well. or I go for the runrise and dawn or something like that.. but it's hard to coordinate with children etc.. and waking up at that hour LOL.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't usually run in the summer...but pools are closed. I thought maybe I'd acclimate to the heat if I kept going. It is really hot here, even close to 90 if I get out by 9:30-10am. So, my runs haven't been longer than 5 miles (including walking)for a while. I'm hoping to get in at least 3 miles tomorrow. When the weather cools off a bit, I'll get up in to 7 miles on my longer runs.
    If I don’t make a point to get up and out the door before 7:30, 8 at latest it’s miserable. My very supportive husband (and mostly compliant children) all woke up at 5/5:30 this morning so I could do a virtual sprint Tri at the river before it got both too hot and too busy (narrow road to and from the boat ramp and people FLY). They fished for a couple hours while I did my thing. Thankfully it was a foggy, cloudy morning and surprisingly pleasant weather to run in.
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tried running a couple times. I only make it about 20 yards before realizing there has to be another way to lose weight. lol
  • ronmatta
    ronmatta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Started running again after about a 20 year gap, ran by myself for two years running 5k's, joined a local running shoe / sports store's half marathon training program, great fun. Group Tues, Thurs and Sat runs by pace. Ran spring and fall half's for two years, currently, still meeting Tues, Thurs and Sat runs, with a little "tail gating" cool down. Met great friends. Group runs are more motivating for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    cncvaj3jqeto.jpg
    I'm going to try out my new shoes tomorrow at the park! I'm hoping for 6 running miles, plus a little walking.(weather permitting)