Struggling to accept where I am at

Options
I started my weight loss journey back in November of 2017 at a weight of 200 lbs standing at 5’4” with a goal of 120 lbs. I lost 50 lbs in the first year and then 18 lbs the next year. This year I have been still trying to lose weight but really struggling to keep to my deficit continuously. I have only really lost 2 lbs but keep fluctuating between 130-133..effectively maintaining for most of the time. It has been beyond frustrating because I am in the lose it mode and whenever I go over my deficit calories I always feel down. I am overall okay with my appearance but not fully happy. I would love to lose more weight around my midsection.

I started weightlifting a month prior to everything closing down due to Covid at the city rec center 4 mins away from my job during my lunch hour. This was working perfectly for me. But since everything shut down and we went to work from home I haven’t been going because it is a 45 minute drive from home...I wish I had not signed up for the yearly membership because now I cannot get myself to pay more for a gym near my home. I think I know the best route for me is to switch to maintenance and go into recomp to help shape my body. The thing is my mind keeps telling me this will take a very long time whereas losing these last 10 lbs might get my body to where I am happy with it.

I don’t know what I am asking.. just any thoughts or input? Especially if you’ve been in my shoes on your journey ...how did you overcome this mentality?

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat checked? It's certainly possible that you could get to your goal and still not be satisfied. Have you been doing resistance training thorougout your loss? Focusing on body comp might end up resulting in better results than dropping a few more pounds.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Look up TinaZ2018
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I’m currently where you are but about 20lbs heavier. A lot is going on in my life right now both with my health and outside stressors. The idea of losing my last 20lbs right now is just adding extra stress so I’m just focusing on fitness instead and eating close to maintenance as I don’t need extra pressure. Weightloss May or may not happen during this time but my mental health and my family is more important than a measly amount of weight at the moment. I’m enjoying my running more than ever and am only a week into my new decision. Sometimes we just have to sit back, stop adding stress and realise that some things need to be prioritised for us to be fully healthy not just in body but in mind.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I like how this thread went ‘cause it’s where I’m at, if I’ve been reading it right. I set out to lose ten pounds. I thought that would be ok because I steadily gained 5 during the lockdown. After a week I made the decision to maintain and began focusing more on fitness than loss. I’m also, after a few weeks in, sure I’m on the right road and feeling more comfortable stable and strong which is what I’m looking for these days.
    All the best to you all on your goals.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    130-133 at 5’4” is a healthy weight—congratulations! There is nothing wrong at all about maintaining for a while and assessing how to proceed. I stayed around that weight for a good year before dropping 3lbs, then maintained another year before trying to hit 125. I’m now bt 125-7 depending on TOM, water retention, etc.

Being without a gym really stinks at this point in weight loss bc it is when many people decide to recomp—focus on eating at maintenance or a slight deficit and lifting weights. Lifting changed my body and how comfortable I am in it far more than losing a few more pounds did. If there is any way you can start/continue lifting (maybe at home? Look at local resale groups for weights?) that might be a fruitful way to spend thI time of maintaining weight—focus on adding weight to exercise rather than dropping scale weight.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Don't know whether this will address your gym membership issue, but I called my gym and asked whether they could let me suspend my membership since I can't use it due to COVID. They said they've frozen everyone's membership and nobody needs to pay while they're shut down. Perhaps you can explain your situation (can't make the drive) and they'll accommodate you. I know at my gym, they will temporarily suspend your membership for other reasons, too, like if you're on a month-long vacation or you broke your ankle and need to heal. If they will do that, maybe you can afford going to a closer gym for awhile. Just a thought.