keto diet

Options
can i follow keto diet

Replies

• jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can give it a go.

If you've got any underlying health conditions it'd be worth checking in with your doctor, but otherwise you should be OK.

That said, it's a very restrictive diet, and can be an absolute struggle to stick to. And at the end of the day, it still works on a calorie in/calorie out basis - it's not magic, and it won't make weight disappear.

I've succeeded with it, and if you can stick to it, it works well. But no better than just maintaining a calorific deficit.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well it’s not against the law but weightloss is governed by a calorie deficit not a carb one
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well, personally, I am a fan of sustainable and not short term changes. I don’t think it’s wise to try to stay on keto for the rest of your life. And weight loss is CICO, and no special diet is needed for that, simply weigh and record correctly and eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Exercising is healthy and worth throwing into the mix also, but again not necessary as the only magic is to consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, it's been a very effective way for me to get leaner. It helps that I tend to be a heavy meat and dairy eater naturally. Ultimately, you do need a deficit to lose weight. If keto blunts your appetite and you find it helpful, then go for it. You can always transition to another diet as you want to maintain. It's what I do.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Keto has been keeping me out of Diabetes Island!

You have to make changes in keto or another meal plan. You have to plan around making vegetables up to half your plate (and it's going to be a salad). The only bread/biscuits/pancakes you will taste will be the one you created -- and they're not bad. Pancakes are really good.

Keto bread smeared with guacamole with pico de gallo was my brunch, stuffed bell peppers and cheesy riced cauliflower was my dinner.
  • psychochillie
    psychochillie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto for a week now. The most amazing part is that it stops me being hungry!!! On normal calorie restriction I am hungry all the time, but on keto eating the same calories I'm just not hungry. Even end up skipping meals. High fat/low carb is great. Sure there are things you can't eat, but when you swap those out for CHEESE and creamy desserts, does that even matter. You get to eat the yummy things you normally can't fit into your calorie allowance.