Advice from others- what’s a good calorie goal for me?

lilharumaki
lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member
I am a pretty active girl, I am a medical student and starting next week I am going to be walking around the hospital quite a bit. I also train karate, Bjj, and Muay that 3-4-5x/week, depending on the week. I was thinking 1700? Anyone else in a similar boat.

Also, how do you guys curve your appetite? I exercise a lot but I feel like I’m always hungry and that’s not going to help me lose 30 pounds lol. I am 160 and pretty muscular right now but I want to weigh 130... Thank you!

Replies

• lilharumaki
    harper16 wrote: »
    Use MFP to calculate your calories. Set your weight loss goal at 1 lb a week. Set your activity level before any added exercise. Log your food and any exercise. Eat back your exercise calories.

Thank you!! I just wanted to make sure that number from MFP was accurate and I wasn’t overestimating too much!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    The MFP app calculations are a good starting point. But take heart, if after 2 or 3 weeks you aren't losing you can adjust it down by 100 or 200 calories per day. If you're losing in excess of 2 or 3 pounds a week (after the first week), you might considering raising your calorie goal 100 or 200 calories to stay satisfied and fueling all that activity.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Use MFP to calculate your calories. Set your weight loss goal at 1 lb a week. Set your activity level before any added exercise. Log your food and any exercise. Eat back your exercise calories.

Thank you!! I just wanted to make sure that number from MFP was accurate and I wasn’t overestimating too much!

Your food logging (incorrect database entries, not knowing precise ingredients in a dish, not weighting constituents of a dish, forgetfulness, conscious or unconscious estimation errors) is much more likely to be incorrect than the likelihood of your RMR varying too far from the population mean (the last one goes with the definition).

Your activity level estimates (which result in an activity factor estimate which is then multiplied by your RMR to give you a TDEE estimate for the day), especially when you engage in a variety of exercises, is quite likely to be off.

If you're 170.5 cm tall, or taller, you are already within the normal weight range. You would have to be 148 cm or shorter in order to be entering the obese range.

You also sound quite active in addition to purposeful exercise. I've seldom heard of someone making hospital rounds and not hitting general walking levels that by themselves bring their activity up to MFP's very active level (which corresponds to an AF of 1.8 if you ever feel like looking that up)

This is all a very roundabout way of saying you sound like very active and 1700 Cal sounds like very little for a very active 160lb person!

Which means that either you're under-estimating your activity level and you started at 2200 Cal, or you're trying to apply a 2lb a week loss off 2700 Cal. Which you probably shouldn't! :wink: BTW if you want to run your (unproven by reality) estimates you can go to: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ Your activity level is probably closer to 1.9 than 1.75. Yes, I know what it says in the description. I also know that *most people* hit an AF of 1.8 at somewhere between 13,000 and 16,000 steps in a day. Without additional exercise.

This is not how MFP is designed to work, BTW. MFP expects you to pick a base activity level that you expect to hit EVERY day. And to then log separately AND EAT BACK the actual calories you spent beyond the activity level you initially selected, regardless of how the calories were generated. The mechanism used is logging exercise. The idea is that you're keeping a constant size deficit, and you're learning that the less you do the less you get to eat :wink:

You're going to be stressed at work/school. By curriculum design and by life. Especially in today's environment. Weight loss is also a stress. A big stress.

There are a couple of considerations to take into account.

--the effects of a larger deficit as a % of your TDEE during weight loss (reduction of lean mass vs fat mass, difficulty of sustaining the deficit, effect of multiple stressors on you).
    and
    --how does this set you up for the long term and for maintenance? Do you want to tank your leptin beyond what you have to and hope it recovers before you regain your weight?

Only do things you really believe you will be willing to continue to do after your weight loss effort! :smiley:
  • lilharumaki
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Your food logging (incorrect database entries, not knowing precise ingredients in a dish, not weighting constituents of a dish, forgetfulness, conscious or unconscious estimation errors) is much more likely to be incorrect than the likelihood of your RMR varying too far from the population mean (the last one goes with the definition).

Your activity level estimates (which result in an activity factor estimate which is then multiplied by your RMR to give you a TDEE estimate for the day), especially when you engage in a variety of exercises, is quite likely to be off.

If you're 170.5 cm tall, or taller, you are already within the normal weight range. You would have to be 148 cm or shorter in order to be entering the obese range.

You also sound quite active in addition to purposeful exercise. I've seldom heard of someone making hospital rounds and not hitting general walking levels that by themselves bring their activity up to MFP's very active level (which corresponds to an AF of 1.8 if you ever feel like looking that up)

This is all a very roundabout way of saying you sound like very active and 1700 Cal sounds like very little for a very active 160lb person!

Which means that either you're under-estimating your activity level and you started at 2200 Cal, or you're trying to apply a 2lb a week loss off 2700 Cal. Which you probably shouldn't! :wink: BTW if you want to run your (unproven by reality) estimates you can go to: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ Your activity level is probably closer to 1.9 than 1.75. Yes, I know what it says in the description. I also know that *most people* hit an AF of 1.8 at somewhere between 13,000 and 16,000 steps in a day. Without additional exercise.

This is not how MFP is designed to work, BTW. MFP expects you to pick a base activity level that you expect to hit EVERY day. And to then log separately AND EAT BACK the actual calories you spent beyond the activity level you initially selected, regardless of how the calories were generated. The mechanism used is logging exercise. The idea is that you're keeping a constant size deficit, and you're learning that the less you do the less you get to eat :wink:

You're going to be stressed at work/school. By curriculum design and by life. Especially in today's environment. Weight loss is also a stress. A big stress.

There are a couple of considerations to take into account.

--the effects of a larger deficit as a % of your TDEE during weight loss (reduction of lean mass vs fat mass, difficulty of sustaining the deficit, effect of multiple stressors on you).
    and
    --how does this set you up for the long term and for maintenance? Do you want to tank your leptin beyond what you have to and hope it recovers before you regain your weight?

Only do things you really believe you will be willing to continue to do after your weight loss effort! :smiley:

Thank you so much for your response!! This was really helpful and I totally appreciate the insight. I’m definitely going to take this into consideration going forward!! 🙏
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2020
    Something you said in another thread majorly enhances my suggestion to avoid subjecting yourself to large deficits, so be even more extremely careful once you start hitting 15% of TDEE.

Any deficit, and even more so a steeper or lengthier one, particularly when applied on people who carry energy reserves that correspond to what you would expect to find within the normal bmi range, is a risk when it comes to the potential to exacerbate an existing ED.
  • lilharumaki
    Something you said in another thread majorly enhances my suggestion to avoid subjecting yourself to large deficits, so be even more extremely careful once you start hitting 15% of TDEE.

Steeper and lengthy deficits, particularly when applied to people who carry energy reserves that correspond to what you would expect to find within the normal bmi range, can bring about food ideation in people with no prior ED, and exacerbate existing ED.

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice!! It’s so hard sometimes to try to be healthier without being obsessive!
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2020
    Made some changes to my wording above to be a bit more precise :smile: But be careful. You're applying stress on stress on stress (move to new city, amidst pandemic, school/new environment/practicum, diet on top)
  • lilharumaki
    changed my wording a bit to be more precise :smile: But be careful. You're applying stress on stress on stress (move to new city, amidst pandemic, school/new environment/practicum, diet on top)

Haha, it’s true, when you put it that way, I guess it’s a lot of changes all at once! I think I just realized I gained some weight from the pandemic and it just made me kinda like “ahh I need to fix my problems all at once!” But I’ll just have to take time and acclimate to everything. It will take time, which is the worst part because I’m so impatient 😂