What would work best?

Options
The site is telling me I should eat 1200 calories a day. Should I only eat 1200 calories or can I add on my exercise calories onto the amount I can eat in a day? Any input would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• SaundraU
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist and she told me eating your exercise calories completely defeats the purposes. She suggested maybe eating up too 100 of the cals or so.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Everyone here will have differing opinions. Many don't add them in, I do, I consider it fuel. I'm trying to get closer to 1200 NET. We'll see how that works.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Try eating them. If you are losing and eat them. Keep doing it. If you eat them for a few weeks and don't lose, then decrease it a bit. The program is designed for you to lose while eating your exercise calories. But ultimately, you have to find what works for you. I'd be unsatisified, and demotivated if I tried to eat 1200 gross every day. So I aim for 1200 net. And I'm consistenly losing.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. If you are trying to lose then 1200 is a great area to stay at. If you just want to maintain then yes add back the exercise calories.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well herein is one of those he says she says... but you need calories to burn when you exercise and if you are in a deficit you will crash. You need to take in protein calories to rebuild the muscle you tear down during your exercise routine. On average I consume more calories on the days I work out that on the days I don't. I wouldn't say that if you burn 600 calories working out that you need to eat 600 calories but you need something to put back what you expelled. I would say the workout is more for toning and building muscle from where there was none and then the muscle will burn the calories even when you are at rest. Muscle including lean muscle burns calories, and all the charts I have seen for calculating caloric intake do not take into account muscle when figuring your weight and how much you want to lose.

Michael

P.S. This is just my .02 from what I have myself researched. Your mileage may vary... :smile:
  • nmclaurin
    Options
    add your exercise calories.