Water for weight?

Options
everything i read is very different info for how much water to drink. my weight is fluctuating the same 3 pounds and i have changed eating or exercise. how many pounds can dehydration make you fluctuate? also how much water to drink for a day?

Replies

• KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Water weight can fluctuate to up to 10lbs for some people depending on many factors

You shouldn't be dehydrating yourself to remove water weight, that causes the body to hold on to it longer.

Drink more water. Drink so that your urine is a pale yellow
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What I've heard: you can judge whether or not you're hydrated enough by the color of your urine. If dark, you need more fluids. If light/pale: you're fine. Keep in mind that we take in liquid in the foods we eat and other things we drink.

Beyond that water weight of the body can fluctuate for a number of reasons - and my best guess is that it will depend on the body size of the person. Someone who weighs 120 pounds: water weight fluctuations will be small. Someone who weighs 300 pounds could have larger fluctuations.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I have trouble drinking water. i dont really get thirsty and forget to drink anything. but didnt think i gained that weight over a couple of days
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Partial list of reasons for water weight fluctuation: high sodium intake, sore muscles from working out, body adjusting to new workout routine or more intense workout routine, if you're a woman TOM/hormones/ovulation, stress, lack of sleep, heat.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you! i have been waking up hot more in the night and havent been sleeping as much
  • myaminals
    Options
    Tha
    I don't worry about 'water weight' as I know its always changing. I trust the science behind calories in, calories out. I aim for accuracy & honesty in my logging. Meaning I log everything, I weigh my food whenever possibly, and I avoid estimating or guessing about quantities consumed. Beyond that it is a matter of patience. Knowing that the weigh in today is not relevant by itself. But comparing today's weigh in to that of a month ago: -4.1 pounds.

Thank you for your help! good job on your 4 pounds for the month! :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    Thank you both. I have trouble drinking water. i dont really get thirsty and forget to drink anything. but didnt think i gained that weight over a couple of days
    You will find that when you start drinking more water your natural thirst will return. It's quite surprising, really.

If you push yourself to drink several glasses of water a day, you will find you want more. It's really good for your body - all your organs need water to function properly. Maybe set a reminder on your phone?
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored sparking water. I get 1.5L in and i enjoy it cause its got that carbonation
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    There used to be specific recommendations of how much water to drink per day, often 8 glasses, but these were more tradition than anything scientific. You should get enough water to keep your urine a pale yellow or straw colored. If you urine is dark, you are insufficiently hydrated. You can get enough hydration without drinking any water if you get enough of it through other sources. Milk, for example, is about 87% water. Water, however, is relatively cheap, especially if drinking water comes from the tap. It also has no calories and, if untreated, very little or no sodium. Yes, one can drink too much water but you would really have to work at it, drinking more than 3 or 4 liters (or about a gallon) in an hour and drinking more than half your body weight in water per day.
  • myaminals
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    You will find that when you start drinking more water your natural thirst will return. It's quite surprising, really.

If you push yourself to drink several glasses of water a day, you will find you want more. It's really good for your body - all your organs need water to function properly. Maybe set a reminder on your phone?

Thank you! That is a good idea
  • myaminals
    Options
    I drink flavored sparking water. I get 1.5L in and i enjoy it cause its got that carbonation

Thank you! I may have to try some flavorings
  • myaminals
    Options
    There used to be specific recommendations of how much water to drink per day, often 8 glasses, but these were more tradition than anything scientific. You should get enough water to keep your urine a pale yellow or straw colored. If you urine is dark, you are insufficiently hydrated. You can get enough hydration without drinking any water if you get enough of it through other sources. Milk, for example, is about 87% water. Water, however, is relatively cheap, especially if drinking water comes from the tap. It also has no calories and, if untreated, very little or no sodium. Yes, one can drink too much water but you would really have to work at it, drinking more than 3 or 4 liters (or about a gallon) in an hour and drinking more than half your body weight in water per day.

Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    everything i read is very different info for how much water to drink. my weight is fluctuating the same 3 pounds and i have changed eating or exercise. how many pounds can dehydration make you fluctuate? also how much water to drink for a day?

Water is for hydration and keeping hydrated is good for your overall health...water doesn't really have anything to do with weight other than your body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water and that will always fluctuate.

There is no universal amount of water to drink...your hydration needs will vary by activity, temperature, etc. I live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...I often ride my bike in very hot weather and sweat a great deal...even just sitting out on a covered patio will cause a great deal of perspiration in summer. My hydration needs are likely going to be more than someone living in a temperate environment who doesn't do much exercise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    I guess my brain is busy telling me not to drink since, apparently, at just 1.8l of fluid intake per 24h we already start to get a slowdown with all the drinking signal, if these guys are to be believed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315424/

So I would stick to what everyone said above (any and all sources of net hydration count and pale yellow) and further add that your personal environment and activities/activity level are much more relevant than generic recommendations.

However the root of your question is not your water intake; it is that you're experiencing weight fluctuations.

Have you considered the common issues raised above (exercise, sodium, heat, sleep, stress)

Are you using a weight trend app or web site to better gauge your underlying weight trend?

If youv are subject to major hormonal water weight variations, are you comparing similar points a cycle apart?

Do you have energy reserves that would place you less than halfway up the overweight range (BMI < 27 to 28) but are trying to create a deficit that exceeds 500 Cal a day?

• myaminals
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I guess my brain is busy telling me not to drink since, apparently, at just 1.8l of fluid intake per 24h we already start to get a slowdown with all the drinking signal, if these guys are to be believed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315424/

So I would stick to what everyone said above (any and all sources of net hydration count and pale yellow) and further add that your personal environment and activities/activity level are much more relevant than generic recommendations.

However the root of your question is not your water intake; it is that you're experiencing weight fluctuations.

Have you considered the common issues raised above (exercise, sodium, heat, sleep, stress)

Are you using a weight trend app or web site to better gauge your underlying weight trend?

If youv are subject to major hormonal water weight variations, are you comparing similar points a cycle apart?

Do you have energy reserves that would place you less than halfway up the overweight range (BMI < 27 to 28) but are trying to create a deficit that exceeds 500 Cal a day?

Thank you! I do need to compare trends instead of day to day. i will also look at the stuff you mentioned above to see if i can figure out what is going on.
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about 'water weight' as I know its always changing. I trust the science behind calories in, calories out. I aim for accuracy & honesty in my logging. Meaning I log everything, I weigh my food whenever possibly, and I avoid estimating or guessing about quantities consumed. Beyond that it is a matter of patience. Knowing that the weigh in today is not relevant by itself. But comparing today's weigh in to that of a month ago: -4.1 pounds.

This is a GREAT way to look at it and boost morale. I've been struggling with that dreaded water retention, but if I look back to this date last month... -5 pounds! That's pretty awesome. Thank you so much!! <3
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I leave a 1.5l jug by the sink in the kitchen and pour myself a glass from that. Helps keep track. When I'm working I have a water bottle that's 900ml. Having it staring me in the face helps!