600 Calories

RandJ6280
RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
Looking for advice, I'm almost 58 and still a "beginner" as far as fitness, endurance etc.... so I can't go out and run for an hour.... but I want to burn 600 calories..... what is the best way???? Anyone?

Thank-you
Tony

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Why is 600 calories your magic number?
  • RandJ6280

A workout I found, has the goal of burning 600 calories in one workout session.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »

What is the workout?
  • RandJ6280
    harper16 wrote: »

What is the workout?
    What I really meant was, what is your fitness goal...why do you think 600 calories is the magic number that will help you reach your goals? Personally, if I were new to fitness and endurance, I would not go straight to 600 calories as my goal. It takes some serious working out to burn 600 calories in one session for a newbie. If you jump in and just suddenly start trying to burn that many calories every session, you are going to injure yourself or burn out quickly then you will be worse off than when you started.

Well I've been working out consistently for the last 6 weeks, combination of cardio and basic calisthenics. Example - I did a 5k on Wednesday ... 43:16 an burned 479 calories.
  • debrakgoogins
    Well I've been working out consistently for the last 6 weeks, combination of cardio and basic calisthenics. Example - I did a 5k on Wednesday ... 43:16 an burned 479 calories.

Again, you didn't answer the question of what your fitness goals are. Do you think burning 600 calories will make you lose weight faster...gain muscle faster...what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

It sounds like what you have been doing is working for you. Why not continue with what you are doing but maybe increase your intensity or time of your workouts? 600 calories isn't a magic number that will make everything else fall into place.
  • errachidia
    errachidia Posts: 2 Member
    how many calories are you eating
  • RandJ6280

Again, you didn't answer the question of what your fitness goals are. Do you think burning 600 calories will make you lose weight faster...gain muscle faster...what is it that you are trying to accomplish?

It sounds like what you have been doing is working for you. Why not continue with what you are doing but maybe increase your intensity or time of your workouts? 600 calories isn't a magic number that will make everything else fall into place.

Sorry Debra, my fitness goals are to lose weight - about 20. I want to get healthy and stronger and leaner. I want to be able to run a full 5k without stopping. I want my joints to stop hurting.
  • debrakgoogins
    Sorry Debra, my fitness goals are to lose weight - about 20. I want to get healthy and stronger and leaner. I want to be able to run a full 5k without stopping. I want my joints to stop hurting.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Losing weight has to do with calories in versus calories out. Eat less than you burn. Start with your food intake...that is where the 20 pounds is going to come from not from the exercise you do. Are you logging all your food and weighing it? Trust me, jumping in to do workouts that burn 600 calories if your body is not used to that level of exercise is NOT going to stop your joints from hurting. You can get healthy, stronger, and leaner without killing yourself. Running is a good way to do that as long as you ease into it and don't push yourself too hard, too fast. A word of caution though...it can be hard to lose weight when starting to run. You will burn calories and your body will need fuel. It is easy to overeat. You may also retain water. I learned this the hard way last year when training for a half marathon. My body shape changed tremendously and I became leaner but I didn't lose much weight at all. You recently ran a 5k in decent time for a beginner. Are you following a couch to 5k program to help you build your stamina?

Don't get discouraged if it takes you longer than you want or expect to reach your goals. I have to assume it took you a while to get where you are now...it isn't going to change overnight. Be patient with yourself. Eat what you enjoy but in the proper amounts. Exercise enough to feel good about yourself but not to the point that you are risking overuse injury or burnout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    harper16 wrote: »

What is the workout?
    What I really meant was, what is your fitness goal...why do you think 600 calories is the magic number that will help you reach your goals? Personally, if I were new to fitness and endurance, I would not go straight to 600 calories as my goal. It takes some serious working out to burn 600 calories in one session for a newbie. If you jump in and just suddenly start trying to burn that many calories every session, you are going to injure yourself or burn out quickly then you will be worse off than when you started.

To burn that number of net calories in about 3 miles of running (not a mixture of walking and running) you would have to weigh about 250lbs using the formula bodyweight in lbs x efficiency ratio for running of 0.63 x miles run.

For me 600 net calories would be a fairly quick cycle ride of about 17 miles.

Did you realise that MyFitnessPal actually intends your exercise to be neutral as regards weight loss?
    Your daily goal is xxxx + exercise calories to keep you on track for the rate of weight loss you selected rather than trying to speed it up.

It's trying to help people establish long term exercise habits for health, fitness and strength and not for short term weight loss.

• RandJ6280
    To burn that number of net calories in about 3 miles of running (not a mixture of walking and running) you would have to weigh about 250lbs using the formula bodyweight in lbs x efficiency ratio for running of 0.63 x miles run.

Did you realise that MyFitnessPal actually intends your exercise to be neutral as regards weight loss?
    Your daily goal is xxxx + exercise calories to keep you on track for the rate of weight loss you selected rather than trying to speed it up.

It's trying to help people establish long term exercise habits for health, fitness and strength and not for short term weight loss.

[/quote]

I was 223 this morning. I did know what about MFP. With my intake yesterday it had me around 215 in 6 wks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

I was 223 this morning. I did know what about MFP. With my intake yesterday it had me around 215 in 6 wks.
    [/quote]

When you set up your goals you get asked your activity level but unhelpfully MFP doesn't make it clear that the categories specifically exclude purposeful exercise (unlike many other TDEE calorie calculators which lump routine activity and exercise together into one combined multiplier) - it's just your routine daily life and you are expected to estimate and add exercise calories only after you have done the exercise to give you a variable daily calorie goal.

Both methods work and to a large degree it's personal choice how you account for your exercise.

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Are you trying to lose weight or build muscle?
    Either way, tracking is key.
    In terms of exercise: start slowly, find something you enjoy, then continue to progress.

• RandJ6280
    Are you trying to lose weight or build muscle?
    Either way, tracking is key.
    In terms of exercise: start slowly, find something you enjoy, then continue to progress.

Silly question lol... I want it all. I have been tracking macros and I'm trending in the right direction.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

I would just focus on the bolded and not worry about a specific calorie burn. Be consistent and the rest will take care of itself...
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    doing multiple 100 cal workouts though out the day is an option too.
    6jaj0m5irf7g.png