Advice Needed

Options
Mike_0518
Mike_0518 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2020 in Getting Started
Hi, I'm 24 years old. I am currently new to the whole fitness thing. I started out weighing 225 lbs and currently at 179 my height is 5'10. I was wanting advice from someone experienced to see how much more weight should i lose to start actually seeing muscle and when should i start attempting to gain muscle mass or "bulk". My current diet and exercise routine consists of low calorie/carb diet and exercise equipment used at the moment is a boflex. Your advice will be appreciated! Imagine below is of me currently to get the best feedback.
8ghwghql0rmy.jpg

Replies

• diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's so individual. Bodies are very different but I would say in my personal opinion I would stay right there and start focusing on putting on muscle. If you keep losing weight you will eventually see some muscle- think abs on super skinny kids- but I don't think ultra thin is what you are going for... unless it is... I think at 5'10 170-200 is a good general number depending on how much muscle you can build, it just takes a while to gain muscle and lower body fat percentage. If you keep eating to affect body composition and working out you will see changes. I would look up Paul Carter- he has a LOT of great advice and has written a ton of books on this. His Instagram is @liftrunbang and he has a lot of free content.
  • Tonydevolanii
    Tonydevolanii Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Don't over think
    Eat and lift, simple exercises
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    If there are no muscles then you won't be seeing them even when losing a lot more. Like the poster above said: start lifting weights.
    edit: given the current situation this might not be possible, but proper progressive bodyweight exercises can build muscle as well. Look at things such as the Reddit recommended routine, convict conditioning, bodyweight warrior for example.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Start lifting 45 lbs ago.

Can't show what's not there - were you pretty physical prior to losing weight or while losing weight - giving the body a reason to keep any muscle you might have had?
    You appear a tad as if you did.

Some people have active jobs that use a lot of muscle - body will keep that if diet wasn't too extreme with enough protein.
    But if no real use, not enough protein, and fast weight loss - you have the long haul now of attempting to build muscle.
    Whole lot easier to keep then build back - this will take longer than the diet (in the sense it's easier to lose a lb of fat than gain a lb of muscle) - so keep motivated.

Find something in here you can currently do, and get your diet down to a minimum amount of loss - 1/2 lb weekly.
    If losing more than that - eat more.
    If gaining water weight, don't worry about it - means good workouts.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

• Mike_0518
    Mike_0518 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hayebales, I try to stay active as possible given my job consists of driving all day and not too active. During my weight lose I have keep being physical such as body workouts, running two miles every other day. Current meal plan usually consists of 30gm whey protein isolate shake for breakfast, lunch 4 scrambled eggs toast and dinner around 600 calories or less.
    I appreciate everyones feedback. It's been helpful and will take into consideration when going forward with my next steps. THANK YALL SO MUCH!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you do embark on a weight lifting routine, PUSH yourself. That’s easier if you have a spotter, but you can’t do say bench press 100 lbs 10 reps 4 sets 3 times a week and expect to gain muscle. The weight should be going up, the reps will initially go down, but back up as a higher weight gets easier, etc.

If looking to build muscle, sufficient protein before and after workouts is going to be important also. Whey protein is a good source with few calories, so is cottage cheese, and chicken.