I'm ready for Therapy but need your help

Options
How much is for Online therapy? How much is a session? I want to join therapy immediately

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with @harper16 as well as adding that - if you're a post-secondary student - you may already have access to online therapy with your student health plan. Same goes for if you are employed.

Either way, check any group health insurance plans you may already be paying premiums for (or, if you're a dependant, your parents or spouse are paying for).

All the best to you in therapy!

If this is your first time, then please consider being open-minded about the process as you may not "connect" with the first therapist. That does not mean you stop therapy. It just means it may be time to find another therapist.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Do any sites yall recommend? i just started back working for the same company I did this year and yes I had insurance with them. Now is that insurance still active? that's the million-dollar question

Sites to find a therapist? Contact your insurance they'll help you find someone in your area that accepts your insurance. If your insurance isn't active or doesn't cover therapy, ask your doctor for a referral, and some therapist might offer a discount for cash payments.
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    Well, that depends on your type of leave.

Perhaps call them in the morning with your group policy number in hand to verify your status.

Then ask them to send you a copy of your health benefits book, if you are still covered by their plan.

These days it's usually a PDF file via email (or downloaded from an online account)... but if you prefer they mail a hard copy then just ask.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, check out what your local library has for electronic resources on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Often they will have some e-books you can check out electronically. CBT is pretty easy to start by yourself if you are honest with yourself and follow through.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My coworker told me Psychology Today has a referral site. Try looking it up online.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Many group insurance policies have a re-hire provision where if you are rehired within a certain amount of time, 6 months is common, you will regain coverage and get credit for time served - meaning you don't have another waiting or elimination period before coverage kicks back in. Also, many employers offer some sort of an EAP (employee assistance program), which typically offer free counseling services. You can often get 4 to 6 sessions with a therapist for free.
    Ask your HR for all your options. Good luck and good job outreaching for help!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Many group insurance policies have a re-hire provision where if you are rehired within a certain amount of time, 6 months is common, you will regain coverage and get credit for time served - meaning you don't have another waiting or elimination period before coverage kicks back in. Also, many employers offer some sort of an EAP (employee assistance program), which typically offer free counseling services. You can often get 4 to 6 sessions with a therapist for free.
    Ask your HR for all your options. Good luck and good job outreaching for help!

I second this option; my employer has such services available for free and as far as I know, they are available from day one, so it could be worth looking into. Ask HR what they have offered.

Also, depending on your salary level, you may possibly qualify for medicare or state assistance. You may be able to contact your local health board to see what is available. There may be some centers lined up that offer free or reduced rate therapy that they could connect you with.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Look into your local community mental health center. The majority of communities have one. As the Director of a multi state mental health program I can tell you that the majority of these places have a huge sliding scale based on income. They are all also offering telehealth services due to the COVID pandemic. It is important that you pick a place that is accredited so that you receive the best care. I have read some of your other posts and let me say that as a therapist a patient's desire to get better is just as important as the therapist. It is very important to be 100% open and truthful with your therapist and to do all the things that this person tells you to do. Good luck in your journey! Therapy can be a hugely important tool to help you.

In the meantime there are a lot of books on CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) that can help you while waiting to get services set up. I personally prefer DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) as an approach. It is a combination of CBT but with a lot more coping skills thrown in. I based an entire inpatient psychiatric hospital's programing using this model.
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    So how'd the conversation go with your group insurance, Hakeem? We're interested to know if you're interested to share.
  • tauera73
    tauera73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey with therapy brother. I start my first counseling session on Tuesday. I've chosen a face to face option but think our fears may be the same. As someone said to me once when it gets hard just pause for a moment and breathe. Much respect for the decision you've made
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    So how'd the conversation go with your group insurance, Hakeem? We're interested to know if you're interested to share.

still waiting on your response on my 5 year plan thread?

Do you mean your thread titled "Affirmations Rough Draft: I need yall help" because if so, I gave a HUG on your July 22 update.

If you mean another thread, then let me know.

More importantly...hot diggity, you have been putting in some work!! Good for you in getting all of that done this week, Hakeem. You seem determined and full of momentum!