Not putting much effort into my food

Options
I used to pretty much eat nothing but fast food and Pre-packaged stuff from the grocery store. Now that I’m on a weight loss journey with almost 200 pounds total to lose I’m going grocery shopping once a week and just eating what a buy but I’ve realized I’m mostly getting pre-packaged stuff or quick snack stuff and I’m wondering if I need to be cooking and eating fresh foods more. Does it really matter if I’m still losing weight and I’m overall satisfied with how I’m eating now? I Love fruit but I have a hard time with vegetables bc as childish as it sounds I just don’t like them all that much. Is it really just calories in and out that matter or do I need to cut back on the pre-packaged food and put more effort into my meals?

Replies

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I personally would put a lot more efforts into your meals. The only processed food I intake is protein powder.
    Cooking meals and meal prepping takes a little more effort but I feel a lot better about myself and my skin as never looked better.
    It is calories in and out but also watch your sodium intake. Pre packaged foods tend to be higher in sodium to preserve it
  • LatoyasTime
    LatoyasTime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    audreys03 wrote: »
    You're talking about 2 different things. Weight loss vs Health. You lose weight just by eating less and moving more. To lose weight it doesn't matter what you eat, only how much. You can lose weight eating nothing but junk as long as you keep within your calorie limits. But to be healthy, you should be eating a variety of foods from all the food groups while still keeping within your calorie limits. Thankfully eating a variety of foods is also a great way to feel full longer when your calories are limited.
    Try just adding one new food to your diet a week to start. Try roasted veggies, broccoli or cauliflower to your prepackaged meals to bulk it up a bit is a good place to start.
    You don't have to stop eating prepackaged stuff altogether, but adding in whole foods will help you to feel full longer, as well as helping to get all the nutrients you need.

Thanks that’s a really good idea thank you
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. You want to be able to keep up with what you are doing to lose weight for a lifetime! Cut stuff that you know is bad out as you learn more. I agree try healthy foods and recipes it will take time. Getting weight off is really important now watch you calories and macros on here and change as you go👟
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned “childish” how about tricking yourself into eating veggies like you would a child. I don’t have kids but I know friends who do stuff like cook/blend/freeze things like broccoli and cauliflower (one I know freezes them in ice cube trays) and then just throw a bit in to whatever they’re cooking (works well with things like bolognaise I guess not so well if you’re eating steak and potatoes).

As others have said you can certainly lose weight on any kind of food but for your health and that of the planet it would be good if eventually you moved towards more fresh ingredients.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Thinking about the kinds of foods you do like, try to find ways of incorporating more veggies in them. I became a pro at disguising veggies in foods; I fed kids for a million years. :) I even remember adding spinach to chocolate milkshakes for my own kids before smoothies were a big thing, making sweet potato pie, things like that. As was mentioned, transition slowly; you may surprise yourself and find you like cooking and veggies too. :)

Lots of foods are super simple to make, such as pizza(I use frozen bread dough left to thaw overnight), omelettes, stir-frys and so easy to adjust the additions you make. Even if you eat canned soups, you can add more veggies. Mac n cheese(whether home-made or store bought) can be modified.

I like veggies but don't really like cooking. :/ I do plain and simple.

Good luck!! One change at a time!

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Eat however you want to eat. If you're getting your nutrients from pre-packaged food, nothing's wrong with that. If, however, you find yourself coming short on nutrients you may want to do something about that. It can be as high or as low effort as you want it to be, from eating beans right out of a can to vegetable smoothies to batch cooking once a week to cooking daily.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I stay away from recipes and concoctions. If its shrimp they go in a skillet with some red pepper flakes and maybe a little soy sauce. If its avocado its sliced put on a scorched tortilla and salt, pepper and hot sauce. Scallops go right in the broiler with a little toasted sesame oil drizzled on them and a little garlic salt. I probably do not make 5% of my meals with more than three ingredients.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    ^^ My word, what a great way to live @wilson10102018. It's simple and perhaps rustic too! I've yet to meet a recipe that didn't need tweaking anyway.

As to veggies and fruits, @LatoyasTime, when the world goes back to (new) normal aka "The After Times" then maybe organize an outing with friends at a restaurant specializing in vegan or vegetarian food. That way, the only options are fruit, veg and legumes. If you go tapas style, you can try several different options 😋 This approach can also work as a potluck picnic if you don't have vegetarian restaurants in your area.

There's bound to be SOMETHING you don't find dreadful 🤣 Then, you can try to reverse engineer whatever you liked at home yourself.

But, as many have already said, you're reaching your weight loss goals for now so continue on as you were for now.

I suspect, over time, your palette will get curious anyway. No need to force it prematurely.

Congrats on your progress so far and your openness to change! You're well on your way to your goals: keep it up 💪🏿
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

As to veggies and fruits, @LatoyasTime, when the world goes back to (new) normal aka "The After Times" then maybe organize an outing with friends at a restaurant specializing in vegan or vegetarian food. That way, the only options are fruit, veg and legumes.

This depends on the restaurant though. There are lots of vegan restaurants now that specialize in creating "comfort" foods or what you might call traditional American foods. Think burgers and fries, biscuits and gravy, nachos, chicken tenders, mac and cheese, stuff like that. Yes, it's technically all made of vegetables and legumes instead of meat and dairy, but it isn't necessarily a way to get more comfortable with eating vegetables.

(There are lots of vegan restaurants that are also very legume- and vegetable-forward, so I get your overall point).

• amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    As others have said, take it slow. I've been making small changes in my diet, like eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread instead of white, and just challenging myself to cook healthy meals a few times a week rather than every meal.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    With over 200 pounds to lose your biggest need right now is to figure out how to stay in your calorie deficit long term. If you're happy with the way you're eating and it's working for you, stick with it. If you make too many changes, especially ones you really don't like, you'll just be more likely to quit all together.

I personally don't buy into "eating clean." I've lost a lot of weight eating a lot of pre-packaged foods myself. I would never, ever stick with this if I had to spend hours cooking/"meal prepping" or had to mostly eat foods I don't care for. 95% of people who lose weight gain it back. You have to find something that you're willing to do for the rest of your life.

I agree with what you said. I was on WW - and the reason I couldn't stick to it is because I couldn't meal prep. I am to old to change my habits. I have added fruits and veggies......and am shocked by weighing my foods, how much I overate!! Like you said, I need to make the calorie deficit long term. Thanks!!