100 calorie snacks

Options
All the diet programs seem to list having 100 calorie snacks and have come out with all these Keto ones and named brand ones but the cost is really high for a package of 5 or 6. If you look around you can actually find snacks that cost around a dollar or less. Healthy set aside, even a rice krispie snack is less than 100 calories. Special K has new latte pastry crisps. If you are in a hurry, what do you grab to snack on?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If I only had 100 calories for a snack I’d probably go for baby carrots or a whole cucumber with salt or any kind of fruit/berries or a few slices of deli turkey perhaps. To me 100 calories is not a lot for a snack so I’d probably go for a walk later and earn a few more calories to make it at least 300 (or more) :)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I too seek out snacks in the 100-ish calorie range, for afternoons. Actually, 100 is a bit low, it's much easier to work with 120-150. But anyway, my go-to's:

- Nature Valley "Mini" chocolate-almond-peanut bars - 100 calories even! Very delicious, too. Not huge.
    - Nature Valley standard granola bars - 150 to 170 calories - cashew, pretzel nut, etc.
    - Pistachio nuts in the 130 calorie packages, great snack!
    - AsDoMar tin of sardines, 125 calories, better than it sounds. Actually quite delicious.
    - WASA crackers, 45-50 calories, then I put on some kind of spread or bruschetta for the other 50 calories
    - Individual-sized packs of cheddar goldfish, 120-130 calories
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Apples around 100cals - depending on their weight
    2 water biscuits/ crackers with 10g of cheese
    Banana 80-140 cals depending on size
    Graze protein bites (warning- not that much protein in them! but they're nice!) 130cals
    Nature Valley chocolate oat &dark choc bars - two in a pack, but if you have just one bar it's just under 100cals
    Clementine - always under 100cals
    Occasionally I steal my kids pom bear crisps, they're 69cals per packet!

These are the ones I have on rotation, I eat a lot of the same stuff snack wise to be honest...will be watching for new ideas!
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Apples around 100cals - depending on their weight
    2 water biscuits/ crackers with 10g of cheese
    Banana 80-140 cals depending on size
    Graze protein bites (warning- not that much protein in them! but they're nice!) 130cals
    Nature Valley chocolate oat &dark choc bars - two in a pack, but if you have just one bar it's just under 100cals
    Clementine - always under 100cals
    Occasionally I steal my kids pom bear crisps, they're 69cals per packet!

These are the ones I have on rotation, I eat a lot of the same stuff snack wise to be honest...will be watching for new ideas!

I’m working on upping my protein and saw these on the shelves today, looked at the nutritional info and wondered how they could advertise as being high in protein 😂

For snacks for me it’s one of the following:
    Apple
    Raisins
    Fridge raiders roast chicken
    Baby bel light (5g protein for less than 50 kcals too!)
    Butterkist toffee popcorn (89 kcals a pack)
    Frube/wildlife choob yogurt - lovely frozen in the summer too (only about 30/40 kcals a tube)
    Variety of low cal crisps - skips/wotsits/Pom-bears
    The fibreOne range have loads of 90kcal treats which are nice.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I tend to shoot more for 100-150, ideally no snacking at all. When I do, though, I prefer protein and fat.

Beef jerky is always my first choice, but I'm looking more at biltong these days when I can find varieties without cloves
    Pepperoni or hard salami
    Hard or soft boiled eggs
    Cheese
    Pork rinds
    Nuts
    Chicken
    Yogurt
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Apple
    Orange
    Pear
    Nuts
    A hard boiled egg
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I’m working on upping my protein and saw these on the shelves today, looked at the nutritional info and wondered how they could advertise as being high in protein 😂

For snacks for me it’s one of the following:
    Apple
    Raisins
    Fridge raiders roast chicken
    Baby bel light (5g protein for less than 50 kcals too!)
    Butterkist toffee popcorn (89 kcals a pack)
    Frube/wildlife choob yogurt - lovely frozen in the summer too (only about 30/40 kcals a tube)
    Variety of low cal crisps - skips/wotsits/Pom-bears
    The fibreOne range have loads of 90kcal treats which are nice.

Ha yes, I would call out Graze on false advertising on those, completely rubbish!

Good shout on the mini baby bels, I'm going to get some this week. We have a popcorn maker at home, that's also something I should get back on. It' s a bit 'meh' plain though.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    If you are not wanting to spend too much money I suggest taking some time once per week and prep your own 100 calories (whatever) packs. Weigh out some items you like (nuts/crackers/roasted chick peas/edamame pods/cheese/veggies) and make up little baggies of them. I also really rely on hard boiled eggs - one of those for a hunger attack is perfect!

There are millions of examples online.

This way you're much more prone to eat someone actually satisfying and something that is actually healthy (which a rice krispie square certainly isn't or many of those other snack packs out there).
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    If you are not wanting to spend too much money I suggest taking some time once per week and prep your own 100 calories (whatever) packs. Weigh out some items you like (nuts/crackers/roasted chick peas/edamame pods/cheese/veggies) and make up little baggies of them. I also really rely on hard boiled eggs - one of those for a hunger attack is perfect!

This way you're much more prone to eat someone actually satisfying and something that is actually healthy (which a rice krispie square certainly isn't or many of those other snack packs out there).

I love the ready for you 100 calorie packs of almonds but my area grocery chains were all out for weeks so I bought snack bags and a bulk bag and used my scale and portioned them out myself. I admit while it saved me money it was a depressing reminder that only 11-14 almonds are 100 calories. I also had to fight the urge to put one one the scale, one in my mouth, repeat. 🤣🤣

Anyway my go to snacks are celery sticks, cucumbers, cheese sticks - preferably the jalapeño cheddar ones- and almonds.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I love the ready for you 100 calorie packs of almonds but my area grocery chains were all out for weeks so I bought snack bags and a bulk bag and used my scale and portioned them out myself. I admit while it saved me money it was a depressing reminder that only 11-14 almonds are 100 calories. I also had to fight the urge to put one one the scale, one in my mouth, repeat. 🤣🤣

Anyway my go to snacks are celery sticks, cucumbers, cheese sticks - preferably the jalapeño cheddar ones- and almonds.

ha ha....I so understand your sadness regarding the weighing of almonds...the first time I weighed out some walnuts I actually took some pics of the scale w/ the tiny amount of nuts on top - showing the weight. Then I asked the MFP community if this looked accurate. I just couldn't believe how many calories it had. Ignorance is sometimes (ha) bliss...
  • MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Something about pretty store bought packaging with 100 calories, is more satisfying than a sandwich bag of measured out snacks. Its like a treasure hunt. "Oh look, they know I need to healthy snack and they care about me." I know I am paying a third or more for marketing and the package but, it is satisfying some how. Like our store now carries mini snickers and candy bars that are 100 calories each and it makes me feel....normal or something. I don't know. Its a mind trick.
  • Dinknyca
    Dinknyca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I’m always looking for low cal snacks too. Some good ones I’ve found:

Hard boil egg
    Rice cakes, plain is the lowest 45
    Greek yogurt
    Celery
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    I should be up front and honest with you all. I am the kind of person who sees a white claw mango that is 100 calories and gets excited enough to give up eating to enjoy it after a long day at work. Something about the buzz is far more rewarding than eating.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A bag of frozen grilled chicken strips works out to about $1 per 3 oz (84 g) 100-calorie serving. It would probably be even cheaper to buy chicken on sale, cook in bulk, and then portion out before freezing. 1 minute in the microwave makes a tasty snack (and drives the cat crazy).

Same thing is true for a bag of pre-cooked turkey meatballs if you don't mind mixing a few carbs in with your protein.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I had a pack of pea snacks this morning, Aldi sell them at around 60c. Kind of similar to a salt & vinegar maize snacks
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    At the dollar store, I found 5 bags of 120 calories of peanuts, 8 25-calorie cream puffs, a 6-pack of breakfast biscuits ,and huge bags of animal crackers for $1 each.
    I also like great value fruit and grain bars 130 calories.
    For closer to 50 calories I like turkey jerky and low fat string cheese.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My go to for snacks are fruit plates, or just a fruit for something small. Bananas are perfect for around 100 calories. Although, I don't really see much of a difference between meals and snacks. Many snacks rack up the calories just like a meal. It's the same thing at the end of the day.
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    I think I need to watch the sodium intake as much as the calorie count. I never had high blood pressure until I went back to work and it was in retail. When I stayed home, homeschooled, worked the land and fruit trees, I was so low even until my mid 50's. I did have a mini 100 calorie milky way today. I think alot of products are trending into the 100 calorie portions because Keto products with Slim Fast and other diet programs are big on them.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,412 Member
    Options
    I keep about 200-300 calories each day for snacks. Currently my favourite is a glass of vanilla vla (some kind of custard) with 10gr of brownie crumble on top. I tried to bake brownies a while ago and it didn't quite work out. It still tastes like brownie though. 100ml of vla and 10gr of crumble come in at about 130-140 calories, depending on the vla I have. Costs? Probably around 0.11 Euro. Half a water melon is currently 3 Euro. Take a big slice of it is again next to nothing. No idea why snacks need to cost so much.