Weight and period (ladies)

2»

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    I bloat ridiculously the week before. Easily 2-3kg (4-7lbs) weight gain the week before my period. I no longer weigh myself at all during the week before or of.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    spr931 wrote: »
    I do daily weigh in more of to see how certain foods, activity, sleep, water intake, etc effect weight

This - I don't get demotivated by the daily fluctuations, I treat them as interesting data points. Plus, it means when I do my weekly weigh in (the one that counts), I can tell if it's an expected result (based on the trend) or if something's up with the scales. I'm not sure I'd be able to trust the result as much if I only stood on the scales once a week.

I can look at a result and go, yep, that looks about right - based on what I've eaten recently, last bowel movement and how I feel. Some days I feel lighter, some days I feel heavier (usually water retention). The daily weighing helps me feel more in tune with my body, but it only works because if I get a fluctuation gain, it doesn't panic me. I know it goes up and down, but that I average it by taking one point a week.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Hey guys, on the same topic I have so much trouble losing weight around my period. The week before and during, I lose nothing at all really often. Then, the week after my normal pattern of about 1kg per week resumes. I don’t even have a big drop, it seems to just plateau for 2 weeks! Is anyone else the same?
    I am the same- no big drop- I really only lose weight about 2 weeks a month- has been a consistent issue for seven months now. It used to freak me out but now I know to expect it and just keep going.
  • mc62412
    mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
    My week Last Month I noticed I stayed the same / slightly go up. I did drop the week after though. Let’s see how this months goes. Which is now 😩🙄
    It defiantly is frustrating. But at least there’s a reason behind it lol.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    I've noticed it's about the same for me too. I gain a couple pounds- hold steady for the week and a half or so and then continue losing. Last cycle weight was steady for 3 weeks and then bam- 3 lb drop...Now I "gained" back 2 of those pounds because my period is back.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    When I'm eating at a deficit the change only shows on the scales for me every 3 weeks or thereabouts which is also approximately the same length as my cycle so I assume it must be to do with that and water retention (and, if I'm taking serious painkillers, food retention). It'll hover/plateau the rest of the time.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Hormonal weight fluctuations are very common. Before I started using a weight tending app, I didn’t realize the weight fluctuations were due to hormones. My weight fluctuates by up to 5 lbs per day and during certain times of the month.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    So I decided to weigh and measure myself this time around. I have just been diagnosed with endometriosis so this is probably not the norm for everyone but since last week I’m up 3.8kg and one size. Three inches in my belly and 2 in my chest. Periods really suck.
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Hello!!
    Okay so this is more of a girlie post lol!
    I’ve lost 3lb so far and this week I haven’t lost anything
    Is that because obviously I’m pre period? I haven’t had any chocolate like I normally do and I’m just thinking shall I just grab some 🤣🤣 because is it really worth trying to lose weight when all my hormones are everywhere haha!

I tend to lean towards the end of period calories don’t count. If I have to be without my craving, it can become dangerous for people around me. So I’m really doing a good deed by eating. 😂
    Besides, Your body burns more calories during your special time anyway, so I figure I will break even. Lol
    But there are times that I work out so I can burn even more.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Sound pretty normal to me.
    Mine is all over the place. One month I will lose weight during, the next it will stay the same. But occasionally my weight will jump some months as high as 10lbs. Those days I feel the worst
  • emilyroselamb
    emilyroselamb Posts: 5 Member
    So knowing you probably won’t lose much weight, do you guys generally try to stick to your deficit during your period? I am only 3 months into my journey and both periods so far I’ve stuck to the deficit and not lost at all...would be it be better to switch to maintenance for the week? 🙃
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Hey guys, on the same topic I have so much trouble losing weight around my period. The week before and during, I lose nothing at all really often. Then, the week after my normal pattern of about 1kg per week resumes. I don’t even have a big drop, it seems to just plateau for 2 weeks! Is anyone else the same?

Sure, it is completely normal to retain water premenstrually/the week of.

How much weight do you have to lose? Depending on this answer, losing 1 kg (2.2 pounds) per week twice a month could be great progress!

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,034 Member
    So knowing you probably won’t lose much weight, do you guys generally try to stick to your deficit during your period? I am only 3 months into my journey and both periods so far I’ve stuck to the deficit and not lost at all...would be it be better to switch to maintenance for the week? 🙃

I don't consider my weight loss as halted during my period, just 'hidden' by water weight.
    That being said, I do give myself leeway to give into my cravings one or two days and go up to my maintenance calories, if needed, just like when I'm feeling ill/feverish/...
    I feel like my body is trying to tell me something when I suddenly crave certain types of foods (mostly salty/savoury, but occasionally sugary foods too)
    I'm not in a particular hurry, and we don't get bonus points for being miserable while losing weight, so I'm lenient with myself :smile:
  • emilyroselamb
    emilyroselamb Posts: 5 Member
    I’ve lost 7kg (14 pounds) I have about 12kg left to lose (25 pounds). I think for habits sake I like to stick to my deficit but like you say, being a little more lenient during TOM.
    That’s a really useful chart! It’s easy to get impatient but maybe my expectations are a bit high 😅 I’ve been sticking to a 1000 cal deficit through eating around 1200 cal a day. Because I had PCOS I’ve been watching my carb intake and keeping it to around 100 grams a day as well. It’s nice to know I shouldn’t be expecting much more weight loss per month than what I’m achieving.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Ughh. Put on 0.5kg overnight. That better be water retention!
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Struggling with the luteal phase (week before period) currently. During this time I can eat my normal breakfast and it feels like I ate literally nothing. My hunger is so agressive that I simply cannot tough it out. So I just eat. I try to keep the big picture in mind. My weight loss progress is slow but sustainable.
  • starrjulia8
    starrjulia8 Posts: 552 Member
    I allow myself a little chocolate during this time. Nothing too crazy but just a touch. I usually lose a pound or so after it's over. I weigh daily too.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    pink_mint wrote: »
    Struggling with the luteal phase (week before period) currently. During this time I can eat my normal breakfast and it feels like I ate literally nothing.

This was me yesterday! Weirdly today I'm not at all hungry.

This is my first month of daily weighing so I'm not too sure what's going to happen. Trying to view it as a sort of science experiment!

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    pink_mint wrote: »
    Struggling with the luteal phase (week before period) currently. During this time I can eat my normal breakfast and it feels like I ate literally nothing. My hunger is so agressive that I simply cannot tough it out. So I just eat. I try to keep the big picture in mind. My weight loss progress is slow but sustainable.

Same here, my appetite tends to be good during my period, but the week before it starts is when I get back cravings. I'll sometimes just eat at maintenance to avoid too many cravings, as they only get worse for me if I try to restrict, and then I go way overboard.

As far a weight goes, my lowest weigh-ins tend to be a 4-5 days after I start, so I usually don't expect to see the results of my weight loss efforts until that day.