Favorite (Unsung-hero-type) Whole Foods?

Options
Okay, people. What are your favorite whole foods? I'm looking to learn about new ones, and maybe you will, too if we get a thread going.

Mine are:

Burdock root (it makes me feel full, and has a satisfyingly chewy texture)
Lotus root (it makes me feel calm and I really like the taste)
Sweet brown rice (never thought I'd enjoy eating plain rice, but this is good)
Jicama (so satisfyingly crunchy!)

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash for potassium
    Rainbow chard ⬅️ she's so pretty and the leaves are great steamed. Stems get reserved for soup or stir-fry dishes
    Nettles are surprisingly tasty and easy to incorporate in diverse dishes.
  • mgfit2020
    mgfit2020 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Celeriac/Celery root -- so flavorful!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Sprouts - as in sprouted peas or beans. I'm currently sprouting some adzuki beans and some Broccoli seeds - they add some crunch and interest to salads or stir Fries.

Sauerkraut - the live stuff - I eat it from the jar or add to stuff. Very good for you and really tasty.

Beetroot - I currently grate it in most food (Porridge was a surprise but a great one). It's like Carrots in that a bit grated in doesn't add a string flavour. Also I love that it makes food pink.
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea and @mgfit2020, please would you share what you do with your nettles and celeriac, respectively?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a scaredy-cat, the first time I tried them I quick steamed the nettles and then gave them an ice bath...all for a sun-dried tomato salad even though they had been sitting on my counter (between paper towels) for 2 days.

Since then, I've added them to curries and tend to use as a topping for side dishes. For example, I made jerk chicken with potatoes. I used some of the basting liquid to "wilt" the nettles over top the potatoes.

Simple stuff really, I just kinda use them like spinach. I've never looked up a "nettle recipe" but I'm sure there's a bunch of tasty ones.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oats. Kind of boring but I use them in porridge, protein pancakes, flapjacks (renamed flabjacks in my house), to bulk protein shakes, in Bircher muesli.... love them!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and oats!
  • saltysparkle
    Options
    Thanks, @MaltedTea ! We have nettles growing all over our neighborhood and one of my more nature-loving neighbors has encouraged me to try them, but I have found the thought kind of daunting. Maybe I'll buck up and try it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    kohlrabi - it's sweet and crunchy

And delicious roasted in the oven!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I'm tempted to identify my favorite local WF store, but will go with fennel, butter lettuce, cabbage, and radishes. Oh, yes, and celeriac, which I see someone else mentioned. Most fruit doesn't strike me as unsung, but I think plums are underrated. Beans/lentils in general.
  • saltysparkle
    Options
    Okay, @lemurcat2, please tell me what you do with your celeriac? I used to get a farm share from a place that always included it and I gave it away because it was so hard to peel/chop, and I never could really quite figure out what to do with it besides putting it into a slaw.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I just love organic dark leafy greens, butter lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower. I have gone through phases though- Okinawa (Hawaii) Purple sweet potatoes were a staple for ages! These are white on the outside and dark purple on inside. I have only seen them at Oriental markets and a few farmers markets. Then there was mixed root vegetables roasted- beets, turnip, parsnip, burdock, carrot, kohlrabi and purple potatoes. Kabocha squash phase, and regular sweet potato. I am much more low carb now and stick to leafy and cruciferous. Some interesting things I love are chlorella, barley grass, wheat grass and fennel powder. Medicinal herbs and spices, exotic mushrooms and rare fruits like dragon fruit.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Kale, beets, summer and winter squash, eggplant
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Okay, @lemurcat2, please tell me what you do with your celeriac? I used to get a farm share from a place that always included it and I gave it away because it was so hard to peel/chop, and I never could really quite figure out what to do with it besides putting it into a slaw.

I like to chop and roast it. I use a knife to get rid of the peel.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cabbage - goes the whole range from crunchy to succulent depending on how you serve it

Mushrooms - so much flavor

Chickpeas - I feel like I could eat these every day and never get sick of them. They work in so many dishes.

Pineapple - sweet, delicious, and refreshing

Hot peppers - favorites are jalapenos and habaneros

Vinegar - I think vinegar is a whole food? I'm not sure. But it adds flavor to all kinds of things
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    beets! all parts of the beet too, if you're ignoring the greens you're missing out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    beets! all parts of the beet too, if you're ignoring the greens you're missing out.

Beet greens IMO are especialy underrated. They're my favorite for cooked greens - such nice flavor. Close 2nd: Red amaranth "greens". And the latter so pretty, too.
    f3302oqqflos.jpg

Also, mamey sapote (a tropical fruit), if I can find a ripe one. Guavas. Ripe fresh figs. Morel mushrooms. Elephant garlic. Fresh herbs.