Garmin Hacked!

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    pfprimo wrote: »
    Garmin user since 2004. I'm hoping all my activities will still be there when they come out of this. If not, oh well, on to another chapter. I'll take this as an opportunity to break away from technology, perhaps it will return some amount of natural joy to my workouts.

Agreed, and I think it's a healthy attitude.

(Rest is not a direct response to quoted post.)

I understand the difficulty of potentially losing training data history, for those serious about training.

Personally, I take it as a positive when Garmin isn't just asserting "all the history data is safe" if there are still *any* open questions about recovering it. It's super common for companies to tell people what they want to hear, but it's a dumb thing to do if there's still even the slightest uncertainty.

This whole thing is giving me bad flashbacks to my IT career, where people always want a definitive (and happy) answer long before all the facts are known. A conundrum for the provider is that, to a certain extent, providing detailed answers competes for expert-technician time & mindshare with fixing the problems and getting back in business. As a Garmin user, I want *all* their expertise focused on fixing/restoring right now, and I can wait for technical explanations. YMMV.

I, too, hope all the history will be there.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    You 'may' get the runs synced with MFP but other things like steps and general activity will be lost forever. Your watch doesn't have a local copy.

FWIW - I was able to sync MFP with Strava this morning (after manually importing my .fit file from my watch). At least my runs will show up now.

It might depend on the watch, if I am understanding your statement correctly. I have an Instinct and got an alert one time (and only one time) that I needed to synch because storage was full (can’t remember the exact wording). I don’t always synch it up everyday, and sometimes a couple/few days will pass before I think about it.

But maybe that’s just workouts and not daily info? Not sure now.

Yes, it does depend on the watch. The one's with the most storage will keep more of your workouts. My Fenix 5x has every activity I've ever done and has room for many years more.

On a PC you should not need any app to get the files off the watch. It will show up as a drive. I don't know about MACs but I assume they should work the similarly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You 'may' get the runs synced with MFP but other things like steps and general activity will be lost forever. Your watch doesn't have a local copy.

FWIW - I was able to sync MFP with Strava this morning (after manually importing my .fit file from my watch). At least my runs will show up now.

It might depend on the watch, if I am understanding your statement correctly. I have an Instinct and got an alert one time (and only one time) that I needed to synch because storage was full (can’t remember the exact wording). I don’t always synch it up everyday, and sometimes a couple/few days will pass before I think about it.

But maybe that’s just workouts and not daily info? Not sure now.

Yes, it does depend on the watch. The one's with the most storage will keep more of your workouts. My Fenix 5x has every activity I've ever done and has room for many years more.

On a PC you should not need any app to get the files off the watch. It will show up as a drive. I don't know about MACs but I assume they should work the similarly.

Huh, hadn't looked at a mass of files lately for the non-activity trackers, though I knew individual one's aren't that big for xml, and perhaps compressed on device even more.
    212 workouts, average 1 hr, with GPS & HR and some footpod for runs, half are bike rides with power data and per/sec storage - 17.7 MB was it.

Log files say the activity trackers files though are deleted once uploaded to Garmin, and can't see a file size in the log.
    But mine has no HR data anyway so not a good compare.
    I was always curious how big those were.

The more recent log file shows it doesn't even pull data off device unless response comes back from Garmin.
  • heybales
    What a goof ball. I went across my tab for Garmin daily stats, it of course said need to sync device, so went on to MFP to log food.

It just struck me - wait, the page came up!

Partial working now if you look at status page link given above.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    I still can't access GC web. The things the status page says are online do show up in my mobile app, but I'm still getting the "We are currently experiencing an outage that affects Garmin.com and Garmin Connect" page with the web version.

This is messing with my marathon training. I'm following Garmin's program, but need to move around the runs in the calendar to fit my own schedule. I can't figure out how to do that on GC mobile.
  • dewd2
    Some of my runs have been uploaded. Still waiting on Sunday's to show up. I can't sync on the PC but it seems to be partially working on my Android phone. Still no sleep, HR, or steps data.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,725 Member
    edited July 2020
    For me, things are almost back to normal, my data has been synced gradually today, up to yesterday so far.

Edit: except my VO2max, the latest value is from July 22nd.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    I'm able to sync slightly, but apparently still managed to burn some negative calories today during my 80-minute run. Such a bummer. :(
    dbd7g5lvzgck.jpg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Some functions are up but Connect isn't. I still have my dongle so I re loaded Express on my computer so at least I can get my data transferred.
  • heybales
    I was shocked that Garmin did send daily burn totals to MFP for missing days.
    Even more shocked MFP actually updated their figures for those past days and did the math for adjustments.

My only issue was Sat big ride day had a calorie correction on the Garmin activity, and Garmin's site didn't redo the math for the day when I lowered it.
    So what MFP got was original uncorrected.

Not bad though.

Garmin does seem to ask MFP each day what is the eating goal, and that failed for all the missing days.
    So it's already poor math is worse because it has eaten, it has burned, but it has no goal to start with.
    And that's why MFP is used for food goals anyway.
  • heybales
    MarttaHP wrote: »
    I'm able to sync slightly, but apparently still managed to burn some negative calories today during my 80-minute run. Such a bummer. :(
    dbd7g5lvzgck.jpg

Should probably look at the actual Exercise Diary to discern what is going on.
    That figure there is only slightly better than the status line that gives base eating goal, eaten today, and amount left.

While there actually view the details for the adjustment to see what's up.
    If the workout came over but the daily burn total did not - there ya go.
  • dewd2
    OK - I'm shocked (and obviously misinformed :( ). My Garmin did sync all of my sleep, hr, and steps data from the outage. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm 99% sure that's how it used to be. But I've been wrong at least once... ;)