Vegetarian/Lowering meat intake

Options
Morning everyone,

My husband said to me last night that he wants to cut out meat for a month to see if it gives him more energy....
Firstly, is that even a thing? I mean, i can't see how not eating meat will give you more energy? Secondly, how can he get his protein levels up if he isnt eating as much meat? He eats meat for lunch and dinner at the moment so will need to pack in around 100g of protein somewhere to supplement meat. He has protein powder but doesn't want to drink it until the gym reopens (ours is still currently closed), eggs, cheese etc but ideas for additional protein with regards to meals would be gravely appreciated.

I want to help him by doing this for him, jist need a little help!

Thanks!

Replies

• Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    Thank you all so much, super indughtful. Quite excited now lol x
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    What has his research told him about it? What are the alternatives he is ok with?

I slid easily into vegetarianism when I realised I was using a number of frozen and shelf stable products in place of fresh meat for the convenience alone. There are lots of variety of those about, but your shopping bill will go up a bit. Canned beans are a great protein that goes with almost anything but beware of just eating the musical fruit in quantity all of a sudden. Eggs, quinoa, cottage cheese, greek or other high protein yoghurt are good sources also in addition to things like tofu, tempeh and seitan.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    Morning everyone,

My husband said to me last night that he wants to cut out meat for a month to see if it gives him more energy....
    Firstly, is that even a thing? I mean, i can't see how not eating meat will give you more energy? Secondly, how can he get his protein levels up if he isnt eating as much meat? He eats meat for lunch and dinner at the moment so will need to pack in around 100g of protein somewhere to supplement meat. He has protein powder but doesn't want to drink it until the gym reopens (ours is still currently closed), eggs, cheese etc but ideas for additional protein with regards to meals would be gravely appreciated.

I want to help him by doing this for him, jist need a little help!

Thanks!

Are you still consuming fish? Eggs (especially egg whites, Greek yogurt, and dairy are great ways to get high quality proteins in a diet. If you include fish and other seafood, that would be even better.

If you do all plant based, than make sure you consume adequate proteins, foods high in iron and potentially supplement b12. Keep in mind that essential nutrients come from fatty acids and amino acids.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Options
    He is allergic to seafood unfortunately! I however am not 🤤
    Going shopping today so will get more eggs, greek yoghurt, tofu and some frozen meat alternatives (not apposed to processed foods).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, I have noticed that the people who report feeling better when they eliminate meat/animal products from their diet are often people who have changed the nutrient-density of their diet. That is, they've not just eliminated something, they're eating more nutrient-dense foods. People who were already eating a nutrient-dense diet don't seem to notice as much of a change.

That said, studies and areas with large populations of vegetarians show that we can thrive without meat, so there's no reason not to give it a try if it is something that interests someone.

I completely agree with @AnnPT77 that eating a variety of foods usually makes it much easier to meet your nutritional needs. It sounds like you've got that covered with your planned shopping list.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    sazzle1983 wrote: »
    He is allergic to seafood unfortunately! I however am not 🤤
    Going shopping today so will get more eggs, greek yoghurt, tofu and some frozen meat alternatives (not apposed to processed foods).

Take a look for chickpea pasta, too, if you like pasta. Banza is my preferred brand, for texture. It's not a perfect analog for wheat pasta eaten plain, but it's enjoyable to me in dishes with other ingredients, and is around double the protein. (At around 15 calories per gram of protein, I'd consider it a medium-decent veg protein source.)

OTOH, edamame or soy pasta is quite different from wheat pasta, in my experience. It's chewier in texture. I don't care for it in Italian-esque things, but do enjoy it in Asian-style preparations, such as with stir-fried veggies in a sauce of some sort. (I particularly like peanut powder, chile paste, rice vinegar - or soy sauce in place of the chile paste - for a bit more protein. Add any other seasonings you wish like grated fresh ginger, scallions, etc.). The plus is it runs around 7.5 calories per gram of protein. I figure anything with around 10 calories or fewer per gram of protein is a pretty decent vegetarian protein source, in a calorie management context (though EAAs need to be considered, too, of course).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    One additional note: in my experience, I tend to have the greatest energy levels when i have a varied whole food diet focused on adequate protein and fiber, and reduce or eliminate ultra processed foods.

In the past, i was less focused on meats as compared to now where i am heavy on meats and dairy, and I will say i didn't not notice any energy differences. The only time I notice an impact on anything is when I am strict keto and my gym performance will tank, but my ability to go longer periods without food extends.

You beat me to it!

For me, both the more whole foods and hyper-palatable/ultra processed ways of eating include meat, so it's not the presence or absence of meat that causes changes in my energy level, but the presence or absence of other things.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    I have not gone vegetarian and never will, but I do try to limit the amount of meat I eat to make sure I am getting more vegetables and fruits into my diet. The reason I will never cut it out is simple... I have a soy allergy along with digestive issues that make vegetarian protein sources very difficult for me to eat. Beans and lentils will mean pain if I over due it. This is not a fiber issue according to my doctor since the pain is not just linked to high fiber foods (though many are a problem).

I will say though, I do feel better when I focus on filling up with veggies and fruits over meat. Not as heavy and my digestion is better in general. Less bloating and more energy as well.
  • my4570
    my4570 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years, and even on 1200-1250 cals, I can fit in 65-70g of protein pretty easily! My favorite sources of protein:
    - greek yogurt
    - egg whites (I add egg whites to oatmeal)
    - cottage cheese (i mix with yogurt and fruit)
    - veggie burgers
    - tofu
    - boiled eggs
    - lentils/beans
    - edamame or chickpea pasta
    - string cheese
    - broccoli ! and greens! have lots of protein relative to their calories
    - peanut butter, powdered peanut butter
    - nuts and seeds in small amounts
    - occasional meat substitutes like trader joe's meatless meatballs or gardein products
    - protein bars (but they're pretty processed so I try to only eat a mini protein bar and rely mostly on whole foods)
    - light ice cream that has protein (halotop, trader joe's) for desserts

Being vegetarian did wonder for my digestion! I don't know about energy since it's been so long since I ate meat. I think it's not too hard to get protein if you are conscious and center your meal around a protein source rather than just carb sources!
  • amygirlee
    amygirlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a great documentary on Netflix called The Game Changers which was an eye opener for me. After years of sports and now coaching, and being told high protein is key but I was very skeptical of going WFPB. The only thing that made me start to be open minded is watching this documentary. I started a nutritarian diet after reading Eat to Live and was skeptical that I no longer had to count calories. How could it be this easy and how do I feel this good? My severe hip inflammation is no longer an issue and I feel like I am back in my late 20's instead of 40's. Just be open minded to new information.