Nexplanon implant (one for the ladies)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has found that they gained weight after getting a Nexplanon implant and if you've had it removed, did you find losing weight easier? I've been looking online and have found a lot of stories of women gaining weight after getting an implant which then fell off after they had it removed (not that I'm expecting a miracle fix).

I'm due to get mine removed in September and am currently unsure as to whether I want it replaced because of weight gain and a couple of other possibly related issues, so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this?

Replies

• enkoni
    enkoni Posts: 46 Member
    I have Nexplanon, I'm on my fifth year with it now. Systemic progestin in its various forms (Nexplanon, Depo shot, etc) has been somewhat associated with weight gain in about a third of women that use it, though I'd caution against going off individual stories to tell you whether or not it'll happen to you. There are studies out there that do show a correlation between progestin-based birth control and weight gain in some women, but the exact cause (if there is actual causation) is still unknown. It would of course be incredibly difficult to do a study where they strictly control factors like diet and exercise and have the only variable be the Nexplanon.

I gained weight, but my first use of Nexplanon coincided with my starting a very intense (and very sedentary, for quite a while) academic pursuit. Looking back on that period I absolutely blame the Hostess cupcakes I was eating at ten o clock at night while trying to study and not the Nexplanon. In the same vein, in the last 18 months I've lost 57 pounds of that excess weight...still while on Nexplanon. Simple CICO works for me regardless and the weight is steadily coming back off now that I'm watching what I eat again.

I would talk to your OB-GYN about it, as your doc will know far more about your personal health and history than people on the internet. Many women find local progestin (IUD) rather than systemic forms like implant or shot leads to fewer side effects, so that may be an option to consider if you really feel the Nexplanon is responsible for your issues.
  • trainingcollegekidd
    trainingcollegekidd Posts: 2 Member
    I'm on my 4th year of Nexplanon and haven't had any weight gain on it so far!