2 questions!

Options
I've been going to a weight loss center and they have instructed me to go on a 1500 calorie diet, which is not far below what I was advised on this site, but they did not mention anything about eating extra calories when I have worked off extra calories at the gym. I've been trying to stick, for the most part, to what they've been telling me but I've read several people comments to others saying to make sure that they take advantage of extra calories from working out. I went to the gym today and burned 670 on the elliptical machine, according to MFP i should eat an additional 670 calories now, but my doctor never mentioned anything about that! Any tips on what I should do?

Also, i was instructed by the Dr. to stick to a target heart rate around 56%, but I feel like i'm getting absolutely nothing out of my workout if I keep my heart rate in that zone....to be honest I don't even feel like I'm working out unless my hr is around 70-80.....any explanation for this? I'm fairly active, as in i'm almost always working and that means almost always walking where I work so I don't know if that affects why I don't feel much from exercising. FYI i'm doing cardio on the elliptical at least an hour a day, and then i do some additional weights and such....

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• doodlebug1113
    Options
    I've been going to a weight loss center and they have instructed me to go on a 1500 calorie diet, which is not far below what I was advised on this site, but they did not mention anything about eating extra calories when I have worked off extra calories at the gym. I've been trying to stick, for the most part, to what they've been telling me but I've read several people comments to others saying to make sure that they take advantage of extra calories from working out. I went to the gym today and burned 670 on the elliptical machine, according to MFP i should eat an additional 670 calories now, but my doctor never mentioned anything about that! Any tips on what I should do?

Also, i was instructed by the Dr. to stick to a target heart rate around 56%, but I feel like i'm getting absolutely nothing out of my workout if I keep my heart rate in that zone....to be honest I don't even feel like I'm working out unless my hr is around 70-80.....any explanation for this? I'm fairly active, as in i'm almost always working and that means almost always walking where I work so I don't know if that affects why I don't feel much from exercising. FYI i'm doing cardio on the elliptical at least an hour a day, and then i do some additional weights and such....

Thanks for any help!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories is a topic of some debate it seems. For a lot of us who aren't new to trying to lose weight, eating exercise calories seems counter productive, but there is a lot of information that supports why MFP wants us to eat our exercise calories. This is the best thread I've found about it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo I would print out that topic and take it to the people who are guiding you and see what they say. If you are paying someone to create a plan that is specifically for you, I would go with that, but it's also important to understand the reason why MFP encourages you to eat your exercise calories.

As for the target heart rate information, I believe 50-60% is the "fat burning" zone, and above that is the cardio zone. (Don't quote me on that, as I'm not 100% sure.)

I would talk to the people who created your individualized fitness program and express these concerns and questions. That's what they are there for, and it's important for you to understand the reasoning behind what you are supposed to do and what will help you to lose weight. Best wishes with all of your fitness goals!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is probably starting you off slow because you have alot to lose-

Also he has you in the fat burning zone for your heart rate its okay to push it more you will burn more calories too.

As for eating your exercise calories some people eat them all, some eat SOME (a few of the biggest losers on this site admitted they just eat SOME not ALL), and some people don't eat any

Mention this to your doctor as well-

I talk to my Primary Doctor about what I am doing.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    my trainer also said yes to eating your calories. you need the fuel. also when you signed up, did you put down that you are active,? it makes a difference on how many calories you need in a day.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    RE heart rate:

He may be trying to keep you in the "fat burning zone" but that is a little deceptive...

Say you burn 60% fat at the lower heart rate, but burn 350 calories overall. That is 210 calories of fat.

Say you burn 35% fat in the higher heart rate, but burn 600 calories overall. That is 210 calories of fat... PLUS all the benefit of burning more calories overall, adding more muscle etc...
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor, who will be far more familiar with you and your needs and over all more knowledgeable about general health and nutrition than random people on the intertoobs. Whenever you see a discrepancy between a web site and your doctor, err to your doc. See what he/she thinks about eating your exercise calories, don't be surprised if you get a non committal answer, exactly how much you should be consuming is a very personal matter, general numbers like most web site formulas can be way off.

As for your training heart rate, a lower HR means your body can metabolize fat for fuel, but if you up the intensity your body burns more fuel than it can replace using fat. However you will be training your cardio vascular system and burning more calories over all.

But BIG DISCLAIMER- verify that you are ok to work out at higher exertion levels with your doctor. If he/she is simply adivising the most effective method of training for weight loss then you are free to train how you like. If on the other hand your doc has reasons to suspect higher exertions are not healthy for you, well, he should have mentioned that BUT, it is still good to verify first.
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor, who will be far more familiar with you and your needs and over all more knowledgeable about general health and nutrition than random people on the intertoobs. Whenever you see a discrepancy between a web site and your doctor, err to your doc. See what he/she thinks about eating your exercise calories, don't be surprised if you get a non committal answer, exactly how much you should be consuming is a very personal matter, general numbers like most web site formulas can be way off.

As for your training heart rate, a lower HR means your body can metabolize fat for fuel, but if you up the intensity your body burns more fuel than it can replace using fat. However you will be training your cardio vascular system and burning more calories over all.

But BIG DISCLAIMER- verify that you are ok to work out at higher exertion levels with your doctor. If he/she is simply adivising the most effective method of training for weight loss then you are free to train how you like. If on the other hand your doc has reasons to suspect higher exertions are not healthy for you, well, he should have mentioned that BUT, it is still good to verify first.

Ditto:smile::smile:
    CHECK WITH THE DR. FIRST- As was in my case they start you off at a lower heart rate to make sure you are okay to move higher and there are no problems that arrive. You can cause a lot of problems if you are not used to a higher heart rate.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories is a topic of some debate it seems. For a lot of us who aren't new to trying to lose weight, eating exercise calories seems counter productive, but there is a lot of information that supports why MFP wants us to eat our exercise calories. This is the best thread I've found about it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo I would print out that topic and take it to the people who are guiding you and see what they say. If you are paying someone to create a plan that is specifically for you, I would go with that, but it's also important to understand the reason why MFP encourages you to eat your exercise calories.

As for the target heart rate information, I believe 50-60% is the "fat burning" zone, and above that is the cardio zone. (Don't quote me on that, as I'm not 100% sure.)

I would talk to the people who created your individualized fitness program and express these concerns and questions. That's what they are there for, and it's important for you to understand the reasoning behind what you are supposed to do and what will help you to lose weight. Best wishes with all of your fitness goals!

excellent answer.....there will be give and take on this subject as always but this answer is what I would do first
    good luck
  • doodlebug1113
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I would say follow the advice you're being given, these people are professionals. If you're on a 1500 cal diet and have a lot to lose, I'd say aim to eat back enough of your exercise calories to be at or about 1200 net calories a day. So.... if you eat 1500, then burn 600, eat back at least 300 of them. You definitely need your fuel if you are going to be kickin butt in the gym!

PS I think it is excellent that you have gotten advice from your doctor AND a trainer about this. It's really important to have professional information and guidance.:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I just listened to Jillian Michaels yesterday and she said when you have alot to lose its okay to eat less (but never below 1200) and to workout because you have alot fat/fuel reserve for your body to take- Now she also said if you only have 10-15lbs then that doesn't apply to you- But if you have alot of weight you have alot of fuel on your body to use for working out and still be okay to just eat 1400-1600 calories a day- She said the ladies on BL it around that and they workout 6-8hours a day.

But also talk to you doctor and your Registered Dietician.