Really struggling to eat enough calories

2»

Replies

• AngelOfMusic1028
    AngelOfMusic1028 Posts: 51 Member
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    I would probably ditch the slim fast seeing as you are struggling to eat enough and replace it with other foods.

What about gluten free bread? Could you make some toast with a topping or sandwiches?

Could you eat more dairy? full fat yoghurt, skyrr, cheeses (oh there are so many!) whole milk?

What about smoothies with fruit or home made shakes with milk/plant milk, bananas etc and a teaspoon of cocoa

Gluten free Cereals, crackers, wraps etc? Eggs? Lentils? Fish? - agree with the above about including meat in general!

My kids are allergic to eggs, dairy, nuts and sesame, you can substitute loads of things these days, although it can really feel complicated at first when you have to avoid an entire group of stuff. Have you looked online for gluten free recipes?

I got the slim fast to get my chocolate fix without hurting myself since I have always had issues with over eating lol. I haven't been able to find gluten free bread as of yet. With dairy, I need lactose free options (which I have found with milk). I just got a blender to make shakes and have a lot of fruit in my fridge for that. I also have eggs in my fridge that I just haven't made yet (it sounds so bad when it's so easy but I REALLY hate cooking) I did see the meat comment. Only meat I actually like is turkey and chicken and most of the time I don't have it, so I work with what I do have until shopping day
    I have looked online for recipes but like I stated earlier, I don't like cooking so I'll save the recipe thinking I'll do it and never do. Something I need to work on personally TBH

If you need to be lactose free, did you check the slimfast labels? I know some contain milk products (I'm also dairy free so noticed it myself)

Yes, it does contain milk however the serving size of them only make me slightly uncomfortable so I eat it only when I'm at home (and not everyday) and able to relax through it.
  • AngelOfMusic1028
    The time immediately after discovering a food allergy is always hard. It feels a bit like nothing is safe, but it will get better. Maybe make yourself a weekly meal plan based on grain + protein +veggies with healthy oil and see where that puts you. Rice and Quinoa are both GF if I recall. Top it with a fried egg if you're still short for the day's calories.

I'm going to have to start meal planning just so I can make sure to get the calories. Trying to figure it out the day of isn't getting me the calories I need. I believe I read that brown rice is GF.
  • AngelOfMusic1028
    Many GF foods in a lot of grocery stores are intermixed with regular foods (bread in bakery area, crackers in cracker aisle). Some stores may still have separate areas, though. Note that the GF food may be higher up on the shelves, or at least I have found this to be true in the bakery area.

I just need to go grocery shopping by myself. My neighbor and I usually go together but she's impatient so I just avoid the stuff I know has gluten in it (bread, crackers, etc)
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    The time immediately after discovering a food allergy is always hard. It feels a bit like nothing is safe, but it will get better. Maybe make yourself a weekly meal plan based on grain + protein +veggies with healthy oil and see where that puts you. Rice and Quinoa are both GF if I recall. Top it with a fried egg if you're still short for the day's calories.

I'm going to have to start meal planning just so I can make sure to get the calories. Trying to figure it out the day of isn't getting me the calories I need. I believe I read that brown rice is GF.

All rice is GF.

I'm coeliac so completely gluten free. I have no trouble eating 1500-1600 calories a day. My diary is open so feel free to have a look.

I make nearly all of my meals from scratch and mainly vegetarian.