30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    @MommaGemz I'm very jealous, a staycation sounds wonderful! I reviewed my holiday balances today to see if I could do similar, but I'm a little light on annual leave for the rest of the year, so no such joy. I shall have to live vicariously through you! :)
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    @suegreg2 Best wishes on your reset! These are the times when I am most vulnerable to stopping altogether. But do keep in mind that you swam for 2 hours and you did need to eat back some of those exercise calories 👍
  • MommaGemz
    nicoleisme wrote: »
    Great job so far! When you can’t get your steps in you could try a standing workstation! They help burn calories and are better overall too.

Thank you! So far I don't have ANY problem getting in my steps for the day. It's the one thing that remains pretty solid and consistent 👍
  • MommaGemz
    Weigh-In Day - Week 7!!

Start: 196.2
    Last week: 187.2

TODAY: 185.4 ✔️

1.8 loss from last week, and 10.8 lost total. Whoooo!!!! I'm back on track!! (That is until we eat our take-out meal tonight ;) )
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Can I join your group? It would help me to stay consistent. I’m been gaining and losing the same 6-7 pounds during this pandemic and right now I’m at high end! Before the pandemic, I had less than 10 pounds to lose. But I just cannot seem to stay consistent. My mom lives is assisted living in NC where I moved from a year ago. My 2 sisters still live near her. But every time I read about an assisted living near her having a Covid outbreak, all bets are off- I eat everything!! So far ( praise God) her place has been Covid Free but they are planning to open back up to visitors Next Week!! Outside visits, 6 feet apart, masks on, but all I have to do is go to the grocery and see people defying the mask mandate and I cringe at the idea of them opening back up! Cases and hospitalizations are up in NC so I don’t see why there are opening back up. It’s not like the residents stay in their apartments all day. They get together with other residents and engage in conversations, walks all day long. Okay, I guess I just had my first vent. Deep breath in, deep breath out!
    I think I’d like to do like MommaGenz and post my progress daily. It’s certainly working for her!!
    Mind if I join?
  • MommaGemz
    Day 50

Whoa - can you believe it? I made it to Day 50!! 🎉

Tonight, my husband and I are going to have a take-out "date night." Beef fajitas with allllll the good stuff, including chips and queso. I debated long and hard over having this meal because I didn't want to derail any of my good progress, especially right before the end of the month.

But ultimately these assurances came to mind.
    1. My progress can be "derailed" by nothing at all - random water retention.
    2. It's just one meal and we haven't had take-out of any kind in 4 weeks!
    3. We had a really rough week that ended on a high note and we need this time to relax and be together over a nice meal.
    4. AND, I've been craving this particular meal for over a week and strong cravings like this make it even harder to keep on track as each day passes.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - Nope
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • MommaGemz
    Can I join your group? It would help me to stay consistent. I’m been gaining and losing the same 6-7 pounds during this pandemic and right now I’m at high end! Before the pandemic, I had less than 10 pounds to lose. But I just cannot seem to stay consistent. My mom lives is assisted living in NC where I moved from a year ago. My 2 sisters still live near her. But every time I read about an assisted living near her having a Covid outbreak, all bets are off- I eat everything!! So far ( praise God) her place has been Covid Free but they are planning to open back up to visitors Next Week!! Outside visits, 6 feet apart, masks on, but all I have to do is go to the grocery and see people defying the mask mandate and I cringe at the idea of them opening back up! Cases and hospitalizations are up in NC so I don’t see why there are opening back up. It’s not like the residents stay in their apartments all day. They get together with other residents and engage in conversations, walks all day long. Okay, I guess I just had my first vent. Deep breath in, deep breath out!
    I think I’d like to do like MommaGemz and post my progress daily. It’s certainly working for her!!
    Mind if I join?

You are absolutely welcome to join in! I used to live in Durham, NC for many years, so I have many friends still there and I stress about their safety as well. I imagine it is so much worse when you have a loved one in assisted-living. I live in Houston where it's crazy-town here with Covid cases. At least there are mask orders - thank goodness. My Mom lives in a "Senior Community" here in Houston, but it's essentially just apartments for seniors. They all hide in their apartments and give the "stink eye" to anyone approaching without a mask :D

You are welcome to post about your day and vent whenever to need to - we are here for you! <3
  • thelastnightingale
    @MommaGemz I think it actually shows quite a lot of willpower to 'take a break' and order a takeaway.

I haven't had one since starting this journey because I'm afraid I'll have a relapse if I do, but I'm debating ordering one later in August as a treat for a special occasion. If I'm still vegetarian by then, that makes it harder - all the yummy dishes I know have meat in them! Am browsing menus idly trying to spot something that appeals. I wish more places gave calorie information as then I would know how much harder I had to work to pay it back, but I suppose the scales will tell me in the end.

I think being able to 'let go' and order one would be helpful for my continuing journey, but I'm working my way up to it! Point is, I do take my hat off to you for managing to have the occasional break and keep going with your usual healthy routine the day after. That's no mean feat.

@clutterqueen Welcome! I know what it's like to be worrying non-stop about a parent during this pandemic, so I do sympathise. It's difficult to accept not everything is within your control, but that's just how it is. I'm trying very hard to only worry about the things I can influence, like checking in for regular calls, as opposed to the bits I can't influence, like managing treatment. It's difficult.

I'm using Headspace to try and calm myself down in the tricky moments - I'm not meditating properly, or at all, let's be honest, but sometimes just listening to a calm voice saying stuff is very soothing. You might want to give it a go. :) I know when I got some very bad news during the pandemic (before I'd found Headspace), I had to call a friend and tell her to just talk to me, because I was a mess and she had a lovely calm voice and that was what I needed. To be honest, if someone does have a calm voice, you can listen to them read the phonebook and it helps!

Part of losing weight is about finding new coping mechanisms that aren't food. As much as we all love food...
  • MommaGemz
    @thelastnightingale You have it absolutely right - finding coping mechanisms that aren't food. All of this logging and daily study of my habits highlights exactly when I want to reach for food to cope. New coping mechanisms have been getting more steps in, laying down to take a rest, meditating, reading or working on a project.

Our take-out meal last night was well worth it. I do feel a bit bloated from the sodium and know I really need to drink water and move around today,, but the bonus is... I have no food cravings right now! I took a hit on the scale, but it was planned and it will go. I think the "mental" break from not having to weigh and log one single meal was really worth it.

I've heard Headspace is wonderful! I do meditate on my own, but it would be nice to try out a program and see how it goes.
  • MommaGemz
    edited July 2020
    Day 51

Starting in on the next 50 days!!

We had our take-out meal last night and it was delicious and hit the spot exactly how I'd hoped. YUM! The freedom of having just one meal without weighing and logging was so relaxing. But now I wake up this morning and the scale took a hit, and I'm bloated. The challenge today is to be totally okay with that and move ahead as normal. I'll drink more water, get those steps in, and keep on the track.

I do love the bonus that I have absolutely NO food cravings right now. Either because I'm still full, or because I satisfied the craving I had and its gone. I think it's important to be mindful of cravings and not fulfilling then each and every time we want something. Wait for the ones that just won't go away.

Now it's Friday and I've completed the final few tasks before - Staycation!! It officially starts.... Right now! First order of business.... taking a nap until it's time to cook dinner :D

I WILL still be continuing my daily posts (I'm just vacationing from work)

Daily Goals:

Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

50174915852_49071ca1c1_n.jpg
  • clutterqueen
    @mommaGemz. @suegreg2, and @thelastnighingale, thank you for warm welcome and kind words! You both inspire me! You are right, I need to find new coping mechanisms that aren’t food! One thing I know I need to work on as well is distinguishing between fatigue and hunger. I tend to just mindlessly eat when I’m tired. Doesn’t help, just makes me more tired, but it’s a cycle I’ve been repeating. Today and yesterday I actually lay down for a few minutes before making dinner, not long enough to fall asleep, just to recharge a bit. It kept me from the predinner snacking.

@mommaGemz I can’t believe that was your first take out meal in 4 weeks! That’s amazing self-control! My husband picks up a pizza almost every Friday night! It’s our big end of the week treat! Been doing it for years.

Daily Goals:
    Logged all food: ✅
    Under calories: ✅
    Exercise ✅ ( 20 miles on my spin bike)

• MommaGemz
    I tend to just mindlessly eat when I’m tired. Doesn’t help, just makes me more tired, but it’s a cycle I’ve been repeating.

This. Sooo this! Really nothing can knock me off my good plan faster than exhaustion and fatigue. Like when my kids wake us up multiple times during the night. It's like my body feels like more food with give me more energy, but it's just not the case. I tend to compensate with more coffee though :o

Congratulations on accomplishing those goals!

• thelastnightingale
    @clutterqueen Honestly, I used to eat takeout maybe 5 nights a week and eat out for lunch 6 times a week. (Unusual for more people, not so much in my line of work.) It has now been about 80 days of the new lifestyle and I haven't had takeout once, or a restaurant meal. I'm not saying I'm never going to have food cooked by someone else again, just that I've gone cold turkey to condition myself into it being a 'treat' rather than a daily thing because of me not having time to cook.

Most people recommend gradual changes, so the opposite of what I've done, but it is possible to cut back on your takeaway habit! In the long run, I think once a month would be a good goal for me, but the longer I can go without takeout, the rarer it is becoming and the more 'treat-like' the concept is becoming. After living off it for so long, I think I need that reset button.

I understand eating whilst tired. That's something I've had to actively work against too. Well done for resting rather than eating, that's a great change! :)

@MommaGemz I hope you're enjoying the staycation! :):)
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGenz I wish I could compensate by drinking coffee! I’ve only had one cup in my entire life and I swore to myself if I ever got it out of my system, I’d never drink it again. And I haven’t. It sent my heart rate way up and I was jittery all day. In my step aerobics class, I noticed my heart rate was at least 20 beats a minute higher than normal according to my HRM. I think my husband must make strong coffee!! I do drink Coke Zero with caffeine occasionally but it has to be by 12:30 or I will still be awake at 3 am! I just can’t metabolize it fast enough. One of the joys of being older( I’m 56!) and having low thyroid! But if I could, I’d love to drink caffeine throughout the day like my husband does!

I hope everyone has a great day! I got up early and started my jog at 6:15 before the sun was up. Love jogging in the early mornings, especially now when we have to socially distance. I don’t have to get off the path as often because I get at least 1/2 the jog done before anyone else is out there. I also am not a fan of wearing sunscreen for a jog so early mornings work best.
  • MommaGemz
    @thelastnightingale Wow, that was a pretty dramatic change! We probably went from... 2-3 meals a week take-out and my husband often bought lunch at work - now to once a month. It was a great cost saving as well! I can understand the reluctance to break your new habits and eat out. I think you'll know when you're ready to dip your toe in the water again.

@clutterqueen Oh yeah, you definitely don't want to be messing with caffeine then. I guess then maybe a good "snacking when I'm tired/hungry" would be herbal tea or water? Just drink something when you want to reach for that snack? An early morning job sounds lovely! We live in Houston, TX, so even early morning in rough. The humidity is so high it's like exercising in a sauna. So we bought a stationary bike in June and, although it's not as nice as getting outside, allows me to get in some cardio without passing out :o

@suegreg2 Just saying HI! and wishing you a great weekend!
  • MommaGemz
    July 2020 Recap!

-4.1 lbs!!
    -10.4 lb lost to date

1/3 of the way through my 30 lb goal!

Steps: Every Day! 🎉
    Bike: 4x a week! 🏵️
    Take-out: 4th & 31st

Measurements: Wow. I was really surprised that my measurements changed very little over an entire month. I lost a little over an inch... overall :o

50175939508_8b984e4aa2_n.jpg

50176731212_06219632de_n.jpg

August Goals!
    • Log Food Every Day
    • 10,000 Steps Every Day
    • Stationary Bike 4x a week
    • *New* Work up to 100 crunches every day
    • Limit Take-out to Once

I ready to hit the ground running with August! I encourage everyone else to post a recap if you'd like to. It doesn't have to be the same information or format. It could be a list of NSV - anything you like. What are YOUR goals for August??
  • thelastnightingale
    MommaGemz wrote: »
    @thelastnightingale Wow, that was a pretty dramatic change! We probably went from... 2-3 meals a week take-out and my husband often bought lunch at work - now to once a month. It was a great cost saving as well! I can understand the reluctance to break your new habits and eat out. I think you'll know when you're ready to dip your toe in the water again.

I read on the NHS site today that it takes 12 weeks to form new healthy habits. Well, I'm part-way through week 11 now. If the research is correct, pretty soon, eating healthier should become my new normal, and eating a takeaway should feel more like a treat. I think I'll feel more confident once I get to that 12-week point. :)

@MommaGenz I wish I could compensate by drinking coffee! I’ve only had one cup in my entire life and I swore to myself if I ever got it out of my system, I’d never drink it again. And I haven’t. It sent my heart rate way up and I was jittery all day. In my step aerobics class, I noticed my heart rate was at least 20 beats a minute higher than normal according to my HRM. I think my husband must make strong coffee!! I do drink Coke Zero with caffeine occasionally but it has to be by 12:30 or I will still be awake at 3 am! I just can’t metabolize it fast enough. One of the joys of being older( I’m 56!) and having low thyroid! But if I could, I’d love to drink caffeine throughout the day like my husband does!

I hope everyone has a great day! I got up early and started my jog at 6:15 before the sun was up. Love jogging in the early mornings, especially now when we have to socially distance. I don’t have to get off the path as often because I get at least 1/2 the jog done before anyone else is out there. I also am not a fan of wearing sunscreen for a jog so early mornings work best.

Gosh, I started drinking coffee in my 20s and have never looked back. I do have a friend though who doesn't like any hot drinks - so no tea, coffee or hot chocolate for him. Are you a tea drinker? I like peppermint tea - it helps settle the stomach in addition to being fluid and filling you up.

Well done on your jog. I'm going out at a similar time tomorrow, to do a fast walk with a friend of mine, and see some other friends on the way. (All from a distance.) I haven't seen anyone I know in months, and I'm quite anxious.

I went out today to run an essential errand, and to prepare for tomorrow. I went out a bit later and there were so many people (hardly any wearing masks) which made me feel hugely anxious. It's really hard going outside and not freaking out.

MommaGemz wrote: »
    I ready to hit the ground running with August! I encourage everyone else to post a recap if you'd like to. It doesn't have to be the same information or format. It could be a list of NSV - anything you like. What are YOUR goals for August??

Yes, you are! And challenge accepted.

Recap

SW: 202.7 (including the 7lb of lockdown weight no one else saw)
    31/7 weight: 179.3
    Weight lost to 31/7: 23.4

August goals

I am aiming for 174.5, ideally by 19 August, which will mark week 14 for me. (My 'official' weigh in day is Wednesday.) Why 174.5? That will be a BMI of 29.9, i.e. it will take me from the obese category to the overweight category.

(If I miss my specific target date, I still expect to hit it during August.) I can't wait to tell you all that I'm "just overweight" and not obese! The moment is coming up soon!
  • clutterqueen
    @thelastnightingale, I agree that it will be very exciting to go from a BMI in obese range to simply overweight! That will be a cause for a celebration!🎉

@MommaGemz I did go back and read all the old posts! I know you were very excited about getting that stationary bike! Especially after the long wait! I too have a stationary bike. It’s the same model they had at the Y when I used to belong. I love that I can see my rpm’s, resistance, and distance instead of just guessing. One thing that I do when I use that or the treadmill( mine is in storage since we have one right in our fitness center, which is currently still close) is watch a show series on my iPad. I have a piece of industrial Velcro on my treadmill and the opposite piece on the iPad so it won’t fall. For the bike, I just leave it in the 2 layers of protective cases. Anyway, I choose a series to watch On Netflix or Amazon Prime that I don’t allow myself to watch any other time, only when I’m exercising. When I get hooked on a show, then I can’t wait to do the exercise to “catch up”! I do intervals periodically to push myself and if I’m feeling lethargic, I wear my HRM band to check heart rate to make sure I’m working at a good intensity. I try to do about 16 miles in an hour so that way I won’t get too slack. I can stand up on my bike for saddle breaks and for a good hill push. Anyway, just thought I’d share that.
  • MommaGemz
    Day 52

First day of vacation success! I managed to read a book, play some video games with the kids (they always ask and I'm always busy - not this week ;) ) and relax with some Netflix.

I did get on the bike today. My legs felt really tired today, so I didn't push it that much. I managed to get in some crunches as well. I haven't done crunches in like... a million years? So I push that either. I did an amount that made my abs tired and we'll see how I feel tomorrow. I'd like to build up to 100 a day, but I'm starting conservatively.

Tomorrow - I sleep in! Ahhhhhhhh <3

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Crunches - 60