How long did it take you?

To hit that goal weight.
For example, If you wanted to lose 50lbs by losing half a pound a week would it take you a little over 2 years?

Was it quicker or slower than MFP predictions?

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    ~40 lbs - 4 years. But 2 years were more serious on eating. So probably 2 years would have been enough with the right attitude.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MFP weight loss projections are worthless.

Mine are a little more realistic, at least for me.

If I am trying to lose 1 pound per week to figure out where I might be in 26 weeks I multiply 26 by .88 so I would likely lose a little under 23 pounds.

Why not 26 you ask?

I do not live in a fairy tale where my life becomes easy to manage just because I have decided to lose weight. In addition there will be holidays, special events, and vacations during which I will want to eat my maintenance calories.

If you are just starting you should probably also consider that it may take a month or more to get into your groove where you are logging correctly and you have your hunger mostly controlled.

I would advise not worrying about weight loss and focus on the daily process that allows it to happen. Make it easy and sustainable and weight loss will be the bonus prize.
  • playhardkf2017
    playhardkf2017 Posts: 875 Member
    I started in mid April at 126.2 and I'm down to 116.4 now. It has been up and down due to water weight, some food splurges and all that jazz. My goal weight is 110. I don't really want to dip below 110 but would love to work on my composition once I hit that weight. I'm already much more comfortable with my body at my current weight. I have a decent amount of strength and muscle, so the further weight loss will help define it.

When I was 126 I just felt "fluffy" and puffy all the time. I'm 5'2" and only burn about 1480 calories a day when I don't exercise, so my weight loss calories are set at 1200 or about a 1/2 pound loss per week. If I don't exercise on the weekends I'll eat 1400 calories, because I usually feel hungry with only 1200. So I try to exercise 5 days a week so I can eat about 1500 calories and feel like I'm not depriving myself by having the larger volume of food allowance (depending on exercise calories burned).

Also, in the beginning, I lost faster because I wasn't eating my exercise calories and soon learned how hungry that makes you. After I started eating the exercise calories, I lost a bit more slowly.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    To hit that goal weight.
    For example, If you wanted to lose 50lbs by losing half a pound a week would it take you a little over 2 years?

For me it was on track (what MFP would say). I lost half about a week for a year and then steady declines over the next year to reach my goal. I've lost 43 lbs. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    My experience has been that if I faithfully follow the diet and carefully assess intake, then MFP is quite accurate for me. Of course, I am in every way the average white male upon which the ("Mifflin-St Jeor" among other) formulas were developed.

These formulas are based on measured TDEEs for a group of men and women and then correlated to their sex, height, weight, and age. People can definitely vary from this estimate on an individual basis.

If you want to pull back the curtain, check out

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member
    To hit that goal weight.

Lost 51lb in eight months have 40lb to go!
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    My goal was to lose 30lbs (175 to 145). I started on January 6th, and I've been hovering between 148-150lbs for about six weeks. Until then I was losing around 1lb/week, but I had some personal things happen in my life and I switched to maintenance for a while. Now that things are settling down again, I'm refocusing on losing weight, and I'm hoping to lose the last few pounds.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Definitely Slower. I got stuck for over a month at the same weight and couldn't quite work it all out. Then when I finally got to my target weight and realised I was nowhere near what I wanted to be and actually I could afford to lose quite a bit more :D So still going, although technically, I've altered the goal posts twice. I reckon I have another 6months of eating at a deficit, give or take birthdays, christmas and gym reopening/ finding a way to lift heavy at home.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!