Is the progress too fast or too slow??

Our scale has been broken for a minute and I once I had the idea to measure my midsection as a means to see if I’m progressing or not

I started a program on July 18th and I’ve lost 1.5cm so far and I’m supposed to lose one more centimeter by August 16th

Is that too fast or too slow??

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I wouldn't say that's too fast or slow as everyone's body is different. My midsection measurement changes by inches on a daily basis based on how much I eat and drink so it's not really one of those measurements where you can say for certain that it's too fast or slow.

However, as long as you are fueling your body properly and don't feel overly stressed or fatigued, I would say you're on the right track!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    What di you mean "supposed to lose one more centimetre"? According to who/what?
    No programme can determine how many cm you will lose from which body part by a certain date.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    igutt wrote: »
    Our scale has been broken for a minute and I once I had the idea to measure my midsection as a means to see if I’m progressing or not

I started a program on July 18th and I’ve lost 1.5cm so far and I’m supposed to lose one more centimeter by August 16th

You have an expectations and a measurement problem; both.

Margin of error is something that should always be considered.

Bodies don't operate on timetable, and, almost invariably, if they appear to be for a while, you're applying significant stress on the body to achieve that.

While this is appropriate in many situations; it is not always!
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's too fast or slow as everyone's body is different. My midsection measurement changes by inches on a daily basis based on how much I eat and drink so it's not really one of those measurements where you can say for certain that it's too fast or slow.

However, as long as you are fueling your body properly and don't feel overly stressed or fatigued, I would say you're on the right track!

Yeah my main focus is fueling my body right nowadays because I didn’t used to eat much healthy foods
  • igutt
    What di you mean "supposed to lose one more centimetre"? According to who/what?
    No programme can determine how many cm you will lose from which body part by a certain date.

I know it’s just a goal of mine, I used to have goals on the scale but since that’s gone I’m tryna have goals in other ways but it doesn’t matter if I get there in time or not because I don’t know what’s realistic or healthy rn
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

You can lose or gain fat from the top of your head to your feet. You can't gauge overall progress by a single measurement.
  • igutt
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You have an expectations and a measurement problem; both.

Margin of error is something that should always be considered.

Bodies don't operate on timetable, and, almost invariably, if they appear to be for a while, you're applying significant stress on the body to achieve that.

While this is appropriate in many situations; it is not always!

Appreciate the response man but I’d like to think i don’t have those problems, the reason it may come off like that is because I don’t know how much can I lose in set time and some people may know so I was asking.

I just like to push my body as much as possible as long as it’s safe and measuring seemed like a good alternative to the scale but you may be seeing something that I don’t and I’m oblivious to
  • igutt
    NovusDies wrote: »

You can lose or gain fat from the top of your head to your feet. You can't gauge overall progress by a single measurement.

True
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2020
    Appreciate the response man but I’d like to think i don’t have those problems, the reason it may come off like that is because I don’t know how much can I lose in set time and some people may know so I was asking. I just like to push my body as much as possible as long as it’s safe and measuring seemed like a good alternative to the scale but you may be seeing something that I don’t and I’m oblivious to

As a male you're dealing with less variability than a female. So that part is good.

You're measuring 1.5cm on your waist. and expect +/- 1cm in the near future.

This amounts to less than 1" in total.

How much flex does your tape have? Are you measuring with air in your lungs or without?
    On exhale? On inhale? What volume of air is in you during your measurement? Did you double exhale? Double Inhale?
    WAS IT THE SAME VOLUME OF AIR AS LAST TIME? How do you know? For example things that could affect your lung capacity such as: How much did you drink, eat, or poo beforehand and how did that effect your lung capacity which in turn affects your tape measurement?
    Even... how much gas do you have in your intestines today as compared to your previous measurements? I mean if I eat beans....

Between days... how exactly did you match your previous measuring point? Did you tattoo a mark at the exact location? Probably not I would think!
    Tape... are you holding it perpendicular to the ground? How sure are you when it is behind your back that it doesn't dip lower or higher than the horizontal level of your front? Is it PERFECTLY straight--and the same as it was last time?

So how much of that 1 or 1.5 or 2+ cm is because of the flex and positioning of the tape?

Thus: you have a large margin of error, changes that are generally speaking slow to occur, changes that SHOULD be slow to occur if you're dealing with weight loss and you're already lower than at a non obese weight, and the expectation that you can effectively measure such slow progress to a precision that is within a reasonable margin of error given the difficulties attached to measuring your waist! :wink:

BTW: pushing your body may make you feel good and if that's the case... that's all good.

But a focus on losing inches **generally** implies an attempt at weight management, and I do happen to believe that fast changes to weight when you're not in the upper reaches of overweight (or higher) increase your chance of having a harder time maintaining the loss down the road.

In any case... you've chosen a rough guide for your progress. if you're moving in the right direction and you're feeling good... this should be enough regardless of the exact number of inches.

As far as I know... in order to get and ***continue to have results*** reflective of your hard work at the gym/exercise program... you will have to continue working hard at the gym/exercise program. It's not a fire and forget thing!
  • igutt
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Appreciate the response man but I’d like to think i don’t have those problems, the reason it may come off like that is because I don’t know how much can I lose in set time and some people may know so I was asking. I just like to push my body as much as possible as long as it’s safe and measuring seemed like a good alternative to the scale but you may be seeing something that I don’t and I’m oblivious to

As a male you're dealing with less variability than a female. So that part is good.

You're measuring 1.5cm on your waist. and expect +/- 1cm in the near future.

This amounts to less than 1" in total.

How much flex does your tape have? Are you measuring with air in your lungs or without?
    On exhale? On inhale? What volume of air is in you during your measurement? Did you double exhale? Double Inhale?
    WAS IT THE SAME VOLUME OF AIR AS LAST TIME? How do you know? For example things that could affect your lung capacity such as: How much did you drink, eat, or poo beforehand and how did that effect your lung capacity which in turn affects your tape measurement?
    Even... how much gas do you have in your intestines today as compared to your previous measurements? I mean if I eat beans....

Between days... how exactly did you match your previous measuring point? Did you tattoo a mark at the exact location? Probably not I would think!
    Tape... are you holding it perpendicular to the ground? How sure are you when it is behind your back that it doesn't dip lower or higher than the horizontal level of your front? Is it PERFECTLY straight--and the same as it was last time?

So how much of that 1 or 1.5 or 2+ cm is because of the flex and positioning of the tape?

Thus: you have a large margin of error, changes that are generally speaking slow to occur, changes that SHOULD be slow to occur if you're dealing with weight loss and you're already lower than at a non obese weight, and the expectation that you can effectively measure such slow progress to a precision that is within a reasonable margin of error given the difficulties attached to measuring your waist! :wink:

BTW: pushing your body may make you feel good and if that's the case... that's all good.

But a focus on losing inches **generally** implies an attempt at weight management, and I do happen to believe that fast changes to weight when you're not in the upper reaches of overweight (or higher) increase your chance of having a harder time maintaining the loss down the road.

In any case... you've chosen a rough guide for your progress. if you're moving in the right direction and you're feeling good... this should be enough regardless of the exact number of inches.

As far as I know... in order to get and ***continue to have results*** reflective of your hard work at the gym/exercise program... you will have to continue working hard at the gym/exercise program. It's not a fire and forget thing!

Yeah a lot of variables go into it but this is temporary until I get a scale and I’ll weigh myself once a week and yes I’m feeling good 👍
  • PAV8888
    So the bonus idea is: as long as you're seeing the pre-conditions that will bring about improvements.... that's what you worry about.

Not whether you're one lb down or one lb up, but rather that this week I applied all the pre-conditions (ate within my caloric targets, moved and exercised as appropriate) that will gradually (when applied persistently) lead me to the results I want.

Again, as a measurement issue, multiple observations (once a day, similar conditions) plotted as a trendline (for examples look at happy scale, Libra, trendweight.com, or look at an exponential smoothed average giving more weight to the last 10 days) will better show you how your weight trend is moving as compared to discrete once a week observations.

Over months, of course, both methods will provide similar long term insight